BOLT M4A1 Internals

That's pretty much it - an average performing AEG out of the box with very good recoil! Had to spend a little bit getting it to "great" performance, but it was desperately needed. Shame about the faux bolt, I just hope a better quality replacement part is available soon. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening everyone, Thanks to FTZ-WildeCard, I have a BOLT M4 gearbox open on my desk at the moment in need of a little fixing. As there's very very little information about these things around, I've p

I have same opinion here. It is really nice and fun gun to shoot, but not worth of it's price tag... I paid 400€ for this gun, for that money I could buy really good gun that works well OTB.   Wires

They use standard AEG front ends and pistol grips.  Only the buffer tube and end plate are proprietary IIRC.  Bolt gearboxes won't fit into standard receivers without removal of the bolt plate mech an

Interesting review and comments, cheers gentlemen. As always I'm on the lookout for harder AEG recoil (custom brass recoil weight for the SOPMOD, as heavy as the SURUS but without the softening spring is on it's way) so I'm intrigued to hear how the BOLT and RM4 are going down with users. Sounds like the BOLT is one to avoid, at least unless you're planning on spending a ton of money on it after purchase.

What's external compatibility like? Will the gearbox fit into regular AEG upper/lower receivers?

That's pretty much it - an average performing AEG out of the box with very good recoil! Had to spend a little bit getting it to "great" performance, but it was desperately needed. Shame about the faux bolt, I just hope a better quality replacement part is available soon. 

Care to share what have you done so far?

I opened the GB today, basically everything looked okay. Anti-reversal hatch shoved some serious wear, picture later. 

I need take pictures of my mods, so they can help someone with similar problems.

And someone talked about the dust cover not closing. Mine closes, but won't open when shooting the cover closed... It flipped open before the piston hook broke, but now with metal one it does not.

Bolt moves, but somehow I have messed with the bolt mechanism...

If you read Aod's superb review of the internals, you'll get an idea of possible pain points.

Mine has had:

- a whole new gear set (essential repairs to bevel gear which was worn, rest was upgrading to more solid gears)

- Upgraded motor to SHS Hi Torque 

- Airfet Mosfet installed

This has given it very good trigger response and an increase to ROF. 

The standard motor is actually pretty good, so that isn't essential to change - but I've always have very good results from the SHS motors. 

So the reality is I've only had to replace the gear set - but on a gun that has only been skirmished twice and was KIA before even its first skirmish why did I have to spend £330 on it?? If anyone wants to say that I abuse my guns, of course I do! They are there to be used -- I have several other rifles, my oldest being an 18 month (or perhaps even more by now) G&G SCAR L and has seen 100,000 rounds or even more and still performed better than the Bolt OOTB (granted, it is upgraded now too -- but had much better performance record for the same amount of time).

What's external compatibility like? Will the gearbox fit into regular AEG upper/lower receivers?

They use standard AEG front ends and pistol grips.  Only the buffer tube and end plate are proprietary IIRC.  Bolt gearboxes won't fit into standard receivers without removal of the bolt plate mech and removal of the tabs that keep it in place.  

• Like 1

Neither has mine, nor my brothers BOLT BR47. Mine was skirmished perhaps twice and was already dead before it made it to its first skirmish. My brothers made it to two before dying.

I have to upgrade my complaint level on this from "niggle" to "disillusioned"! Really not for the £320++ asking price, as you'll have to spend money reworking the internals (and this is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when AND how soon). 

Still the recoil is much heavier than the TM versions - but still, not worth the extra spend at the moment. Very, very poor product for the price.

no problems with my BR47. It shoots stock 440FPS though.

Hmm thats odd you were having such severe issues. Even though I don't run my bolt alot, one of only two US suppliers happened to be local and was able to get us great deals on them so alot of guys in our state bought them. I havn't heard of any of them having serious failures and most are over a year old now. 

no problems with my BR47. It shoots stock 440FPS though.

There was a news item on Airsoft World (where we purchased both our rifles in the UK) that the UK versions were detuned and not meant to be run in 11.1v lipo - as the much weaker spring (FPS was about 330-340fps I think) meant a much high cyclic rate than intended and therefore more heat & wear.

I was running mine on 7.4v and my brother for a short period until it died was on 11.1v -- not sure if this had any impact, but two lemons is not good news. For reference, I had the B4 CQBR and my brother had the BR47. 

Hmm thats odd you were having such severe issues. Even though I don't run my bolt alot, one of only two US suppliers happened to be local and was able to get us great deals on them so alot of guys in our state bought them. I havn't heard of any of them having serious failures and most are over a year old now. 

Which model did you guys receive? I was under the impression that the BR47 was one of their newer offerings and the CQBR was also a bit more rare -- certainly under a year old.

If you read Aod's superb review of the internals, you'll get an idea of possible pain points.

Mine has had:

- a whole new gear set (essential repairs to bevel gear which was worn, rest was upgrading to more solid gears)

- Upgraded motor to SHS Hi Torque 

- Airfet Mosfet installed

This has given it very good trigger response and an increase to ROF. 

The standard motor is actually pretty good, so that isn't essential to change - but I've always have very good results from the SHS motors. 

So the reality is I've only had to replace the gear set - but on a gun that has only been skirmished twice and was KIA before even its first skirmish why did I have to spend £330 on it?? If anyone wants to say that I abuse my guns, of course I do! They are there to be used -- I have several other rifles, my oldest being an 18 month (or perhaps even more by now) G&G SCAR L and has seen 100,000 rounds or even more and still performed better than the Bolt OOTB (granted, it is upgraded now too -- but had much better performance record for the same amount of time).

I think the failure of the Bevel gear was a result of the aftermarket pistol-grip. The thicker top plate of the pistol grip, combined with the Bolt reinforcement plate meant that the motor-return spring became coilbound, which meant that despite tightening the pistol grip adjustment screw, the motor couldn't be raised, causing the damage to the bevel gear.

If that hadn't happened I think the rifle probably would have lasted for about 10,000 rounds before one of the bushings or spur-gear would have failed.

Well different people bought different models. There was a big rush for the original B4A1s. Then later that year for the SOPMODs. With a few people picking up the shorty B4A1s. Don't think I know of anyone that bought one of the CQBRs and he's just now getting access to SR47s.

Mine personally was a SOPMOD that I've been updating to Block II standards (DD RIS 2, Elcan Spectre DR replica, KAC front and rear sight, KAC forgrip, still working on PEQ15 and a M3x).

Edited by steelfallenangel
  • 1 month later...

I have found, weirdly, that the Lonex M4 semi-proprietary lowers are compatible with the Bolt Uppers. Lonex are usually fairly amenable to customer requests so try emailing them and asking if they can sell you an unmarked lower, and then have the trades done yourself locally :)

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi!

Read all of your posts, and am a bit confused... At 1st I`ve read a lot of good stuff about the gun, but in the end, all of the praises, turn to cr*p. Some kind of final summary for a person who`s interested in buying it, but not very skilled at the mechanical work?

Thanks

Edit: (400 FPS rule in my country for AEGs)

Edited by JedimiNjoke

The BOLT M4s are an acceptable design with some questionable material and assembly choices. They can be made to work very well with modifications, but unless you're able to perform these yourself or willing to pay for someone to do them for you, I wouldn't recommend the gun.

Outside of the gears and a needed shim job what other major headaches have cropped up?

And about Lonex lowers, where do you guys know a place that would actually engrave the lower with a different set of trades?

I've been calling around to have my 416 lowers trades removed and replaced with correct M27 IAR ones due to the build I preformed. But everywhere I call they say they wouldn't be able to do it legally.

And where are lonex receivers sold by themselves? Been looking at my countries main supplier (clandestine airsoft) and couldn't find a listing.

Edited by steelfallenangel

I would be willing to pay for someone to do those modifications, but the trouble is, not one has had experience with the Bolt near me yet. Meh, it seems I`ll just take the G&G...

Or if you want a Recoil AEG, what about the PTS RM4 ERG.....it has the recoil system and stops firing on the last round due to the magazines, but is also compatible (without an adaptor) with standard AEG magazines......has a quick change spring system so you can modify your FPS as you want it.....the cost is comparible to a Top Tech Gen3 AEG.

• Like 1