Cost effective starter hangun?

Captain Leisure

I've never had such problems with that gun, but plastic will always be better than metal in cold areas. I wouldn't worry about the metal construction of the P226 though. The pistol can easily take green gas and it works in lower temperatures as well. Still, if you are worrying about the temperature, you could consider getting a plastic pistol or a CO2 one, as those aren't affected by temperature as much as full metal gas ones. By the way, is it really that cold there in Scotland? I live in the Netherlands and the temperature isn't really that much of an issue for gas pistols. No idea what weather is like in Scotland :).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that doesn't sound really positive at all. The TM 1911 is known for being extremely reliable. It's made of plastic, which is a good thing when it's cold and being reliable means that you don't have to keep replacing broken parts. Also, there are lots of aftermarket parts in case something does break or you simply want to replace it. The pistol has a good capacity, although it might be a good decision not to completely fill the magazine with BBs when it's very cold, as there might not be enough gas in the magazine for such temperatures. Furthermore, the pistol is known for having a great hopup, so it sounds like a great and safe choice to me. Also, I personally like the looks of it a lot, which is also important :rolleyes:.

KJW P226 is a terrible gun for our climate (ROI, UK etc) - the heavyweight slide and ample room between gas router bucking and nozzle results in a lot of vented gas. They're lovely looking, feel superb...just don't work in our average temperatures.

Now KJW do make a Co2 version, the P226 E2, which is far better. The co2 works year round, though you will have to carry out maintenance on the magazines eventually, but even so it remains the more practical option if you're hellbent on a metal P226

Any stock TM will be perfect as a first pistol. I've been running TM Glock's for a long time and I've never had one major failure. Whilst the price of WE pistols are usually attractive, their durability isn't. I had a WE XDM which had the hammer assembly disintegrate after a few months! Saying that, I've been seeing a lot of great performing WE Glocks out in the field, I even bought one on impulse (because who can resist a shiny chrome Glock 18?), but I don't expect it to last as long as a TM Glock.

In short, buy a TM and be happy that it will work most of the year with no problems. If it's stupidly cold that's the only time you'll have any real issues.

So you are in the North East of Scotland (I spied Stonehaven so yeah all of 10 miles from me).

If you want to have a try of a TM 1911 and see how they run in this rather mild winter we have for once give me a PM and I can sort something out.

In regards to pistol though you need to ask if this is a holster stuffer or a serious pistol. If you want serious go TM, if you want holster filler and the odd blat with it a cheaper WE or KJ would suffice. Still if you want it to last and work well a TM often falls down as your best bet.

'FireKnife'

• 2 months later...

The KJW M9 is a very reasonably priced and nicely made gun, I have had one years and still admire it, I think they look fantastic.

Due to the long production run they are low in price and well made, the latest models can handle CO2 also. I recently sold an immaculate CO2 version for 75€, a steal for such a nicely made GBB and the prices for new ones are very low too. The kick on the CO2 one is ferocious too. One drawback is that they do not feature a functional de-cocker, the same as the TM pistol it was based on. I am usually a stickler for detail but I don't mind this myself.

I own two at the moment, had 3 not so long ago and have owned many makes and models of GBB, I have to say the KJW is a great gun and suffers from no real problems that you may see in other GBBs.

As the WE p226 was mentioned I will chime in on that too, it seems great but costs a bit more than the KJW. I haven't had mine as long as the M9 so don't know how it will hold up, but it is a very impressively made GBB with strong kick but had one issue. It didn't shoot straight out of the box due to missaligned sights or some combination of slide, barrel and sights all being a little off. I fixed mine but I am a dedicated tinkerer with a collection of tools and some few years experience fixing these things. You may not want to do that as a new player, why would you.

I reccomend the KJW M9 if you can find one cheap and in good condition, people tend to sell them as they get bored of them, I will always have at least one.

Probably a bit late, but my £75 HK3 Glock 17 is fully traded, nicely finished, the frame material is nicer than the TM and it's happily spat a good way over 6,000 rounds now without a hiccup. It's also remarkably efficient for a metal slided pistol, TM compatible and generally fantastic. 

Whilst the TM G17 is great, the slide has a habit of jumping the rails in very warm weather - I've never had one break anything, but it's a pain in the *albartroth* and takes some fiddling and force to get the slide back on the rails. 

I'd take TM for near on anything other than a Glock, but HK3/WE's G17 is astoundingly good value for money, especially if you order one from HK. Even if you're very unlucky and a few parts go, it'll still work out cheaper even if you need to replace the outer barrel and loading nozzle, which are the only issues I've heard of occuring on WE/HK3 17's.

*edit* The HK3/WE G17's will also take a Co2 mag, which will keep it running year round. I did have a minor bug with my Co2 mag a short while ago where one capsule leaked, but it seems to have sealed itself now and is working perfectly again.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always found Marui pistols to be very good performers. They're accurate, gas efficient, fairly powerful and reliable, both in terms of mechanical reliability and not randomly changing power. I personally use a Marui 1911, very crisp trigger, accurate, reliable and fairly simple operation and mechanism (helps with maintenance). It's a popular choice but far from the only choice, different frame sizes, grip orientations, overall width, type trigger, type of sites, position of controls, etc will all influence what works for your. Have a look and a play, I remember thinking the FN 5-7 looked pretty cool but the grip is really long. I can also remember thinking the desert eagle looked monstrously big and probably an nightmare ergonomics wise, turns out that although it is big the controls are pretty easy to use, the slide release is certainly easier to operate than on my 1911. As for holsters, again have a look and a play and get something decent. I personally love my bianchi m12.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

I'll stick to plastic.

You really should try shooting a CO2 blowback pistol.  CO2 is a lot more powerful, so it performs better/more consistently in cold weather compared to propane or green gas (even with a metal slide).  The recoil is super snappy and is a pleasure to shoot.

Thread is 6 months old and the OP was last active 2 days ago.

I don't see any problem with that.

Even if OP wasn't still active, a thread like this should be around for the other new players who want to grab themselves a pistol and want to know which ones are solid and dependable, rather than just buying a full metal WE dragon and having the BBU blow out.

ASG MK23 is fine, but stay away from STTI.

Wait aren't ASG the re-distributors of the KJ MK.23 which the STTI is just a flat copy of?

I wonder what makes the 'KJ' better than the STTI?

However I don't think I have ever seen mention of a TM MK.23 fail bar the mags when filled with propane too often.

'FireKnife'

No clue about KJ but both STTi and ASG are nbb. For some reason STTI mags are not compatible with Marui and ASG. Also modded ASG mags handles yellow and red gas as well as TM Socom does. And used TM costs the same here than new ASG so I wouldn't think about woch one of those three I would buy. IR-hopped TM Socom shooting 140m/s with yellow gas is plenty of fun even in woods.

Archived