GHK M4 GBBR - available after Chinese New Year

hitmanNo2

I need me a GHK AK, but I'm terrified that WA parts seem to be drying up, so until I've got 5 spares of every part I can't see myself buying much else! :P

Still, I've got faith in GHK as well - I just think it's unfair to expect *too* much out of them. I fully expect the cold weather performance of GHK's effort will be at least a little better than the competitors, and with an aluminium bolt it could be improved further. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out and some proper reviews of the thing; if GHK really have worked a miracle, I'll happily put my MRP away in the cold weather and pick one up!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New video!

Cooldown looks a lot better. I wonder what the difference was. The previous video, the mag was already empty. They might have fired a few test mags first which made the mag super cold.

When you compare it to Khanseb's video of the G5 (Timestamp 0:55 for a mag dump)

It's not too different. The rate of cooldown is the same. This is a buy from me.

If that's the rate of cooldown we can expect from the mags, it's fine for me - because I'm going to be switching mags and won't be dumping a lot. The cooldown in semi will be fine, probably even in winter!

Third edit: Whilst I think of it, I notice that the G5's mag is of course polymer, and the (presumably) Gen2 M4 mag has a metal body. This could contribute to cooldown as well. I'd be interested to see them using the G5's mag, as I believe they're compatible.

New video!

Cooldown looks a lot better. I wonder what the difference was. The previous video, the mag was already empty. They might have fired a few test mags first which made the mag super cold.

When you compare it to Khanseb's video of the G5 (Timestamp 0:55 for a mag dump)

It's not too different. The rate of cooldown is the same. This is a buy from me.

If that's the rate of cooldown we can expect from the mags, it's fine for me - because I'm going to be switching mags and won't be dumping a lot. The cooldown in semi will be fine, probably even in winter!

Third edit: Whilst I think of it, I notice that the G5's mag is of course polymer, and the (presumably) Gen2 M4 mag has a metal body. This could contribute to cooldown as well. I'd be interested to see them using the G5's mag, as I believe they're compatible.

Whilst it's definitely better than the original video, there's still evidence of venting and a slight slowdown towards the end of the mag. I should say I'm really not trying to knock the thing, GHK have clearly put a lot of effort in and the cooldown is certainly a bit better than my WOC from what I can tell; I can dump a mag at 19c with a little visible vapor for the last 5 rounds of the mag, but I'm using an aluminium carrier, whereas the GHK is obviously steel. 

I still maintain that this isn't going to be anything like the G5 or AK series in terms of cooldown; The ratio of gas volume to bolt size is nowhere close, so I guess I'm just trying to cool people's hopes and dreams of a winter-proof M4.. I'll gladly eat my words if this thing runs like a train at 2c, but I really can't see it happening, as much as I'd like to. Swiss-cheesing the bolt will definitely help, and I can see RA-tech or others releasing a machined aluminium version not too long after release.

On a side note, the metal magazine should actually be better for cooldown than the polymer version - Metal conducts temperature better than polymer, so with a metal magazine the gas in the mag can regain the heat it dissipates when fired quicker than if the mag were polymer, which is obviously a better insulator. 

I can't see GHK making the magazines any differently to the G5 ones albeit with the external differences, it'd be silly for them not to be compatible with the G5 mags. G5 mags work extremely well in a WA system gun on top of that, so readily available and reliable mags will be good news for everyone.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this performs in a proper torture test on a genuinely cold day with a cold gun and a cold mag, but I'd be shocked if it comes close to the efficiency of the G5..

I'm not much into GHK products but do we know anything about RS compatability of this AR ? :o

I mean like for the WEs where you can switch most of the parts for RS without much problems (excluding upper, lower and internals of course.)

GHK posted a picture on Facebook of their bolt, compared to a standard WA and a Prime/RS Spec WA - The GHK bolt lies somewhere between the two in length, so I imagine that'll rule out receivers off the bat.

Saying that, it seems silly for them to make the receiver threading and stock tube threading different spec from the pretty much GBBR standard R/S spec - I'd say it's a safe bet that rails and stock tubes will likely fit, as well as pistol grips, which are what most people are likely to replace with R/S gear.

You can use WA spec bolts in Prime/RS/IA/Viper spec receivers with the adapter.  With a different length adapter you could use a GHK bolt I would have thought.

Ah I meant more that with the GHK's receiver being slightly off-spec judging from the size of the bolt, it'll be unlikely you'll be able to put an R/S upper on the GHK lower.. Might be able to gut the GHK body and fit it all in an R/S or R/S spec receiver with a fair amount of work though.

Also, I've just filmed a quick video of a mag dump with my MRP for comparison purposes - I don't have a thermometer accurate enough to read the surface temperature of the mag, but it's room temperature - I keep my mags loaded with an 80% or so charge, and my room is pretty poorly insulated.. I'd guess the surface temperature of the mag at around 17-20c or somewhere in that area.

Anyhow, slightly more noticeable slow-down of the ROF, but no venting. Apologies for forgetting to fill the speedloader/annoying breathing sounds/terrible videography.

Skip to about 0:40 for the actual firing part.

Just a quick one, at work - GHK have stated that: "????????TAF????M4??????????:)" which essentially means that it's at TAF, a taiwanese retailer I think.

They also posted this:

ghk-m4-test.jpg

Which is advertising the ability to test it out this saturday :o

Looks a lot more finished than the previous video!

Edit: Serves me right for not looking at the picture properly. It's still got the unfinished receiver :P

what length is that M4? Doesn't look like the standard M4 14.5" barrel, but like an 11.5"

are they using forged receivers? I see there is a "forge line" made famous by inokatsu and vipertech receivers. VFC idiotically just made a fake forge line because it was "cool" to do, when the real weapons didn't even have them (shaved off before sent off)

what length is that M4? Doesn't look like the standard M4 14.5" barrel, but like an 11.5"

are they using forged receivers? I see there is a "forge line" made famous by inokatsu and vipertech receivers. VFC idiotically just made a fake forge line because it was "cool" to do, when the real weapons didn't even have them (shaved off before sent off)

Not all AR15s have the forging lines removed. It depends on the year, manufacturer, and who produced the original raw forging.

Like I have some early Colt A2 recievers forged by Martin Marietta that still have forge lines. As compared with later Bushmasters from Cerro Forge that have them removed very smoothly. And some late A1 receivers that sorta have them half removed.

Its kind of a shoot it seems. But yeah, looks like ghk is going for that.

• 2 weeks later...

This video seemed to have flown under the radar, but looks like the best of the bunch IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltp7SrVtYaw&feature=youtube_gdata

Now *that* is a lot more impressive, performance wise. Shame there's no indication of temperature/gas used/etc, but for an M4 GBBR with a steel bolt that looks pretty damn efficient, assuming they're not using neat propane at 25c or something.

Now *that* is a lot more impressive, performance wise. Shame there's no indication of temperature/gas used/etc, but for an M4 GBBR with a steel bolt that looks pretty damn efficient, assuming they're not using neat propane at 25c or something.

The Chinese title of that video says "GHK M4 cold test", saying room temperature was 12 c' in the description, so that's pretty awesome. 

The Chinese title of that video says "GHK M4 cold test", saying room temperature was 12 c' in the description, so that's pretty awesome. 

That's definitely impressive if it's true, but I'm still skeptical - When the KWA LM4 was released, I saw a couple of videos of 'Cold weather' tests, showing the temperature of the magazine, or the mag being left in a fridge for several hours etc, then the gun dumping a mag in full auto. My LM4 was useless in anything less than 10-12c despite all that...

Also, if that was at 12c room temperature, how did it manage to plow through a mag dump when other videos with temperatures listed as higher than that have exhibited noticeable cooldown towards the end of the mag?

really, really want to believe GHK have somehow worked magic, but I just don't trust youtube vids. Hell, there are plenty of 'Cold weather' GBBR testing videos set up to look like the mag has been encased in a glacier for months then the gun performing flawlessly, simply because a lot of people invest their ego into their gun of choice and want to talk it up to be better than it is.

Essentially what I'm saying is I hope GHK have made an M4 that'll work in -3, but I'm not going to believe they've done so until there's first hand unbiased confirmation of the fact.

As we've previously covered, the G5 could do that quite easily at much lower temperature, so all I'm counting on is that GHK knows they are known for ridiculously good performance in the cold and that it is something people really do care about when looking into their product, so hopefully they know their reputation is on the line enough to not fake the tests. Afterall, they did say they have been delaying the M4 project for this long because they wanted to make sure they have the best cool down resistance they could deliver.

Not sure... I'm clueless when it comes to translating anything that Chrome doesn't translate automatically! :P

Still, it's hard to get a read on the thing - Some videos show cooldown similar to any other GBBR, some show it as a mild improvement, the one above shows it as cooldown free and one of the videos I've seen has a whole load of vapour on firing.

I'm excited to see user reviews and actual first hand reports on cold weather performance, but whilst some of the videos are looking promising, others aren't particularly impressive, and it strikes me that anybody with a pre-production model to test is likely linked to GHK and therefore more inclined to show the gun in a positive light.

Unless a manufacturer can break the laws of thermophysics, there will always be cooldown. On the other hand, I can hardly imagine that people would play with mag dumps on full auto all the time.

Propane is never going to be a good propellant in the cold, regardless of how good a gun is.

I considered this gun till I saw that its nozzle is plastic.

Archived