I know there is already a review on this gun here already but i didn't want to just hijack someone elses thread. I hope that that is alright otherwise could the mods please merge the two together if that is appropriate.

Okay this is the newish KWA RM4 ERG - not the catchiest of names i grant you but still, there we go. Still not available in the UK through UK retailers but it has been around for a while in the Far East and the US for a while now. Given that though, there is very little in the way of reviews out there for it say in comparison to its competiton the TM recoil series.

This is a collabaration between PTS and KWA and features magpul furniture and metal body. To the best of my knowledge it is the only product that has survived Magpul's departure from the airsoft marketplace. This is therir version of TM's recoil shock line of AEG's and very nice it is too. I haven't fired a TM one but i have owned several GBBR's and the kick on this is far superior. The sound is also better than a standard AEG and is somewhere inbetween a GBBR and AEG. Like the TM recoil series; it isn't quite a training weapon but it aint far off in terms of function as it feeds every last round, locks back when empty and in a bonus no TW offers - it kicks!

the gun comes in the usual PTS branded packaging which is nice and sturdy and yp to the job of protecting the RIF in transit. I ordered mine from ehobbyasia along with two boxes of the PMAG's for it. Total price including shipping and customs charges was around the £400 which is pretty good i think.

4B1CA024-B6D8-428A-9183-9047DE6621C5_zps

and here with the extra mags

528A5996-549A-4579-BF5D-D95940D7AD8D_zps

The gun is absolutely solid and feels like it has some weight to it. the quoted weight is 3.5Kgs and its believable. For such a small gun it feels like it's made from DU!

As I said there is nary a rattle or squeak from the gun and it is well made and finished too. It is front wired with mini tamiya connectors in the MOE handguard. It is a tight squeeze but i manage to fit a 7.4v 2600mah 25c split pack lipo in there and it gives a reasonable rate of fire - nothing earth shattering but for me that's fine as I'm not about the insane RoF's some hanker after.

3FEEE952-323C-436E-AEE1-5DBC62B1E521_zps

F9A78935-C6C4-44A2-B193-1C6C17630F63_zps

CC2F521E-E1B0-49FA-A7F8-7EF8D38D24F6_zps

The mags are proprietary PMAGs and can be switched from 30 to 60 rounds by taking the base plate off, pushing the inner down from the top and pushing a little switch across. It's a nice touch but i will probably leave it on 60rnds to be honest. I like the fact they have the fake feed lips on the top like a real PMAG. its purely asthetic but a nice touch. Also on the top you can see the little lever at the back of the mag that activates the bolt stop. The follower also is unique and quite long and worryingly thin when extended. It is this way to allow the mag to feed every last BB. Quite nice when you've only got 30-60 to begin with! I'm worried it might snap off with rough handling but i have been assured they are quite resilient.

The great benefit of this system over the TM recoil gins is its ability to take standard AR mags without any modification. Admittedly you lose the bolt stop and stop fire features if you do this but at least if you're out of ammo in a fight a mate can chuck you a STANAG and you're back in the game.

C2B6275D-9847-4023-80D8-48EDE6CEDA65_zps

2CDE1B65-E3BE-47D2-9E2D-BEA5ECEBE450_zps

I haven't chronoed this yet but have heard they are around the 350ish mark which is ideal as it will be used almost exclusively in woodland games. I will field it for the first time in Jan and will add to this then with an after action report.

Overall though thus far I'm really happy with it. In fact - I need to go and have a play with it now! so scoring out of 10 I'll go so far as to say 8.5/10 and thats only because i haven't actually used it in anger yet!! I'm sure it will nudge up a bit after that! If it does perform as it shoud then i could be quite tempted to sell my other AEG's and buy a couple more of these especially if they release it with a standard Colt style metal body - to make an M4A1 and an M4 CQBR too. I just need to find a small enough lipo to fit in a RIS unit so i don't have to have a battery box and external wires.

Thanks for reading and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by Philbucknall
  • Like 1

I found the hop rubber was useless, could just about hop a .25. The finish on the lower receiver wore off after 3 hours of gameplay.

I managed to cram a 11.1v 2A tri-chuck into the front grip which gave quite a realistic ROF, trigger response is quick nearly gas gun quick as this is a crucial for cqb.

Haven't fielded my own yet, so your saying that finish on the lower is just not gonna last at all? May get it duracoated than in the end if I know it's going to be a problem in the short term. I can comment that swapping the motor grips on these are kinda a pain in the *albatross*. I don't know if they used a locktight on them or something but I ended up stripping three screws trying to get it out in the process of replacing the furniture with all FDE parts. But have you guys experienced any problems with the dust cover getting stuck and not dropping after pulling the charging handle? May just be a issue with mine that I'll have to file down that pin the smallest amount.

Went to use it today. It chronoed at 316fps which is fine and dandy BUT and it's a big BUT! after two mags it just stopped. Totally. Nada.

I haven't opened it up yet as I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar.

Up until that hiccup, they were the best 2 1/2 mags I've ever fired out of an AEG though. :)

• Like 1

just a little more info rather than "it's fixed!!"

Well, I've used it now and the bolt cut off switch can sometime stick but its a simple fix. Whilst I was tinkering I took it ll apart anyway and its quite a nice piece to work on with a good solid gearbox shell and good quality gears. As the spring comes out with the buffer tube - removed as per a real AR, there is no tension really when you split the box. It is diferent enough to need a little bit of extra care from a version two but not so much that you would be able to do it.

Really didn't tale long to work on the innards and to rebuild it. Everything just fits nicely and the damn pesky ARL stays put pretty much so no hassles there.

I emailed James at PTS during the trouble shooting pricess and they were very helpful and replied to emails promptly. as a result and as an overall score id revise it to 9/10 - oh and other designs featuring the ERG system will be coming out this year according to James smile.png happy days!

• 2 weeks later...

Are those still going to be under the PTS branding? I thought KWA was taking it more in house and selling them as a no name gun that is lacking all the magpul attachments but is wired to the rear instead of the front. 

Hey Phil. When you took yours apart did you notice if the upper receiver was different at all from a regular aegs? I want to eventually replace the regular upper with something nicer like a MUR one or something but I know that alot of these KWA rifles have finicky hopup chambers that make swapping uppers a hassle to get working consistently again.

I reckon it'll have its own proprietary upper, I've not had mine apart yet but from what others have said it will. 

As for the standard M4A1 rifles with the rear wiring I think they will be released through KWA rather than PTS. There is a video from the Shot Show with them at the KWA booth rather than the PTS booth. Not sure how I want to take the rear wiring though.. it'll be nice to be able to add a RIS I guess but you're going to lose the option to use anything other than a crane stock or similar. I've got an ACS stock en route to me. Fingers crossed i'll be able to put a battery in the side pods when they eventually are released! 

Yes it does sadly as I have a lovely VLTOR upper begging to go on it but it won't fit. The front receiver lug is bigger on the KWA than on standard AEG receivers.

As for the M4A1. I'll buy one probably. I've thought about buying the scout version and sticking a rail on it and storing the battery in there.

Good luck with the ACS stock; those side pods are a) very narrow and B) not open to the stock tube section. You could dremel some holes but you will still be hard pressed to fit a battery in it.

Edited by Philbucknall

I don't know I've got a little 7.4v crane stock lipo here that isnt much wider than a cr123 battery.. I have my fingers crossed I'll get it to fit! Otherwise I will have to stick to the Crane stock I guess! 

I'm looking to put a rail on my Scout at the moment. I've got a Madbull NSR on my LM4 which is sitting around gathering dust till the weather improves and the new hop parts arrive so I might move it over, finding a Lipo to either fit in that rail or just settle with a PEQ is a difficult decision mind you! :/