Minefield in Airsoft

PMO Gordo

OP: FROZEN FALCON @ Mercer Airsoft Center on Dec 21st (http://www.wpairsoft.com/f13/operation-frozen-falcon-feat-sokol-%40-mercer-airsoft-center-dec-21-2013-a-6077.html)featured a trip-wire Thunder B minefield in the game. The event organizer deployed 10+ Thunder Bs in the field, and one of the attacking team's objectives was to disarm the mines. I really like the minefield concept. It made people look down at the ground and watched their steps, rather than blindingly charge forward. The event organizer even took the trouble to post up Russian minefield signs near the area, which helped creating the atmosphere a lot.

I think the minefield concept could be better. I heard the event organizer spent a lot of time setting the mines up the day before the game, which was commendable, but it was too much burden for the event organizer. And I hope he didn't lost any mines after the game.

I think it would be more efficient and fun to have players participate in both deployment and recovery of the mines. The event organizer would still set up the minefield the day before the game, but instead of deploying the mines, he would put a wood stack with a color ribbon tied to it on the chosen place. He would also record the location as the following example: "150 m NE of the bunker. Near a stream junction".

An hour before the game, the event organizer would call the players responsible for deploying the mines, and give them the locations of the stacks. The players would find the locations, deploy the mines, and bring back the stacks as proof of successful deployment. If the deploying side successfully deployed all the mines within time limit, they would earn one point. The opposing side would have designated players to disarm the mines and bring them back to the event organizer. If the opposing side bring back all the mines without triggering them, they would earn two points. If they bring back all the mines but trigger some, they would earn one point.

I think this minefield concept could help people learn compass reading and pace count, increase players' participation, and reduce event organizer's workload.

as-020-033-cu.jpg

At Operation: East Wind this year, the WARPAC forces deployed a minefield along the border, not to score a point but in order to try and cut off an avenue of attack for NATO forces. The minefield was made up of POM-Z tripwire mines staked out and PMN-2 pressure mines and they had it marked out with little Russian mine markers too. The players themselves, as with everything at EW, deployed them. NATO wasn't made aware of it beforehand, it was discovered through observation of the border, and sections were later cleared to allow movement without them being an issue.

One of the Canadians delicately clearing some of the mines away, in this case a PMN-2 mine. (Taken by RobBye)

ca8adf91cd7bbf3597726059823c9868_zps9fc6

One of the POM-Z staked mines and one of the markers. The markers weren't by every mine, this photo just handily had them both in it! (Taken by Coop)

f0b685faaccbd425ab7d61a5ec74bc06_zpse501

Mines add some great atmosphere and an additional "level" to large, organized airsoft games. 

With CO2 land mines, you actually feel when you step on it, and it'll only go off when you remove your foot.

Add some role-play, and you have a nice scenario...

Thunder Bs can be converted to mines very easily. A plate over the striker (striker spring removed or tension lessened) that depresses when stepped on. Combine that with the tripwire shells and they work very well and are reasonably compact and quick to bury.

Hmm, I've never had that happen whenever I bury them. That would be pretty cool, although dangerous at the same time.

I have a plate hinged using the spoon's pin that sits over the striker, quick and easy to modify and so far it has a 100% success rate.

Our team sometimes uses a steak mine, ideally we could use some more as they can be pretty effective, more so in the more extended play, scenario games we generally attend. I did think after using the mine for the first time a mine field game would be really interesting, possibly have a mine clearance team with a security detail protecting them and some insurgents pop up to ambush and harass the mine clearance team.

I've been using home made tripwires rigged to a Mk3 maroon to cover choke points and doorways of bunkers etc with some degree of success (the main issue has been dud pyros not going off). They aren't pretty to look at but when they work I found them to be highly effective at slowing down advances as after one went off people would be looking for more wires so could be picked off easily

I used a clothes peg with drawing pins pushed through and wires attached to a battery and pyro. This is then at teacher to a tent peg to be stuck into the ground. I then took another tent peg, attached a length of fishing wire with a piece of card which sits in the clothes peg so when the wire is pulled out the circuit is complete and the pyro goes bang. I'll post pics later if wanted

Do you mean these?

http://www.airsoftworld.net/alarm-trip-mine-12g.html

I picked up a couple a few years ago and found them very fiddly to set up but when they're we properly they're great for scaring the *suitcase* out of unsuspecting players. Just be careful where you place them as there is nothing to contain the burnt powder from the blank

I think he means these http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-SENTRY-ALARM-MINES-22-Cal-trip-wire-alarms-for-PREPPER-Mini-Sentry-off-grid-/151008569846

Honestly I think you could make something that does the same job and looks a lot better for around the same money. I'd personally like to see a decent blank firing POMZ style mine, our team one is the CO2 grenade firing POMZ-2, works well, makes a loud noise but it costs a lot. Then again hearing Josh blow himself up after we told him where it was was hilarious.

There are some nifty tripmines on eBay I was thinking of trying to reproduce. Basically a striker that hit a .22 blank/nailing round and set it off. Looks pretty easy, not too expensive to buy pre-made either.

My team uses them and they are excellent. A few mines, a box of .22 blanks, and a spool of fishing line doesn't take up a lot of room in your kit and can easily come along to any majo. It's not something you can quickly deploy in a CQB environment, but if you have thirty seconds you can make a doorway impassable.

Or, better yet, rig objectives. They're very, very easy to conceal underneath or around an objective, and the fishing line we tie to the objective is pretty much invisible. Somebody tries to move it, boom, dead.

Anyways, since they're infinitely reusable and the consumable component costs pennies, they're actually pretty cost-effective.

My team uses them and they are excellent. A few mines, a box of .22 blanks, and a spool of fishing line doesn't take up a lot of room in your kit and can easily come along to any majo. It's not something you can quickly deploy in a CQB environment, but if you have thirty seconds you can make a doorway impassable.

Or, better yet, rig objectives. They're very, very easy to conceal underneath or around an objective, and the fishing line we tie to the objective is pretty much invisible. Somebody tries to move it, boom, dead.

Anyways, since they're infinitely reusable and the consumable component costs pennies, they're actually pretty cost-effective.

True, but I think they could be produced cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they appear to be pretty simple.

It looks just like a spring set up on the striker which rests on a ledge until it gets pulled off by a tripwire, thus setting off the blank.

This is something that I have run into (debate wise) quite a bit in airsoft over here - just what exactly constitutes a replica grenade/mine. There have been serious arguments caused over the usage of items like alarms etc because they weren't exactly grenades, or that the mines didn't do anything etc. The Hakkatsu mines were accepted due to very visible 'detonation', as were claymores (though many arguments were caused from people shooting at the claymore), and the sonic grenades (think alarm clock ringing) were unanimously shunned being compared to throwing a squeaky toy and expecting people to take a hit.

That just got me thinking...how far do you have to go to have something considered a grenade or mine? I know people who've made IED's/mines out of a doorbell and 40mm M203 grenade, and they're accepted due to their being something obvious...but if it was just an alarm, I think most people would be looking at you saying "It's an alarm...", which is comparable to throwing a magazine in as a grenade shouting "GRENADE" and expecting people to take a hit.

There are of course many accepted devices e.g. Thunder B's, Tornado grenades etc (we can't have pyro :( ), and although I would love to see minefields being utilised, I can regrettably just see a lot of arguments from people (on both sides) calling it cheating i.e. upholding something as a mine when others don't consider it as such, and people not taking hits from such a device. Obviously this is down to the site operators to clarify what is/is not a mine, IED, grenade etc...but hey, just got me thinking :)

Must admit this has been an interesting read and left me feeling some what as if I'm sitting on the fence.

For CQB and skirmish I can't see the need and would also question whether some one would have enough time to set them up.  Also there's be the question as to what is valid and what is not.

For Mil Sims I see it in the other direction, especially if the scenario lends itself to their use - such as a 'Nam game.  In such circumstance I'd have thought the best direction would be for the site to supply them for the insurgent/terrorist/VC side with trip mines being set up in advance by the defenders (i.e. along paths, under books, etc).  Not sure how happy a Mil Sim player would be though if they'd been walking for about half an hour to be 'blown up' by a triggered trap for them to be out of that scenario or trecking back to the start point.

I don't use the siren alarms and stuff as a grenade, just as an early warning and as a distraction. I also have used pull cord rape alarms and thrown them into rooms to disorientate and irritate people.

Only thing I actually use as a grenade is approved by the site or event staff and also goes boom.

Not sure how happy a Mil Sim player would be though if they'd been walking for about half an hour to be 'blown up' by a triggered for them to be out of that scenario or trecking back to the start point.

They would take them like any other pyro hit. Mines, trips and booby traps are used extensively at Tier1 milsim games by the insurgent forces.

To my mind if it is just something that makes an electric noise like an egg timer or sonic grenade then it is a distraction.

Personally if something goes boom and breaks open using CO2 or pyrotechnics or actually sprays bbs at you then I would say that counts as a hit instead.

As for mine planting it follows the same rules, if it makes a bleep noise then it is a distraction, if it goes bang or sprays bbs then it is hit.

Just the way I would personally call it but I know some people would differ.

'FireKnife'

True, but I think they could be produced cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they appear to be pretty simple.

It looks just like a spring set up on the striker which rests on a ledge until it gets pulled off by a tripwire, thus setting off the blank.

Probably, if you have steel, springs, and welding equipment handy. In which case, how much is your time worth and how long's it going to take to produce each one, compared to just buying them for under $20 apiece?

This is something that I have run into (debate wise) quite a bit in airsoft over here - just what exactly constitutes a replica grenade/mine. There have been serious arguments caused over the usage of items like alarms etc because they weren't exactly grenades, or that the mines didn't do anything etc. The Hakkatsu mines were accepted due to very visible 'detonation', as were claymores (though many arguments were caused from people shooting at the claymore), and the sonic grenades (think alarm clock ringing) were unanimously shunned being compared to throwing a squeaky toy and expecting people to take a hit.

I've seen this argument before (specifically in the context of footballs as simulated 40mm rounds) and it's always seemed silly to me. You're already propelling 6mm balls of plastic and expecting people to take the hit, some degree of 'unrealism' is an accepted part of the game. The only differences between this and a blank-firing grenade are physical appearance (pointless to dwell on considering the bewildering array of IEDs in use) and activation method, which being a tripwire is already consistent with real-world equivalents.

I almost forgot Milsimlabs also offers tripmine / booby trap model for US$6: http://www.milsimlabs.com/airsoft%20paintball%20booby%20trap%20mine.htm The system utilizes cap gun cap, but I suspect using a large party snaps (see pictures below) will be more effective. This will be great for countries which don't even allow blank ammos.

index.3.jpg

boobytraplable1_copy.jpg

IMG_0305__18159__14615.1351176562.1280.1

Reily38 on Western Pennslyvania Airsoft brought to my attention that there are people using mousetraps and household items to make BB-shooting Airsoft claymores for less than US$ 9 (see video below). It is also possible to make it shoot BBs as well as creat loud noises by adding a striker for setting off a noise-making party snaps, similiar to the Milsimlab's booby trap in concept (http://www.milsimlabs.com/airsoft%20paintball%20booby%20trap%20mine.htm).

I think it is possible to create Airsoft minefields with limited budgets. The major obstacle is the integration of them into gameplay. New rules or modification to the rules may be needed, such as time alloted for setting up minefields, responsibilities of recovering the mines, and etc.

For anyone looking for the mechanism for the Milsimlabs device in the UK I found these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANG-EXPLODING-CAP-DETONATOR-DEVICE-FUNNY-JOKE-PRANK-TRICK-SHOCK-GADGET-TOY-GIFT-/261349360408 which are uk stock apparently. You may also find them in joke shops which is where I came across them many years ago.

Archived