British army issuing SOME C8/L119's

BattleForceTactical

That glass doesn't really seem to me like its designed for a military type return fire application. Firstly the frosting of it seems a lot worse than normal armoured glass and makes it useless, in terms of returning fire once it's been hit a few times and because it's armoured you can't kick it out once it's shattered like that. You won't have a clue what you're shooting at. But more importantly on the video test they had they only fired two rounds back out through it. I want to see how that would stand up against a 30 round return fire whilst taking rounds. The law of physics would suggest to me that with every round it's going to get weaker and weaker. Personally I think I'd rather have just some normal ballistic glass. A cool invention though, but I think it's more for law enforcement and civilian applications.

Wouldnt turning it so the port is down and ejecting cases towards the floor be better as ypu wouldnt have brass bouncing off the car roof and burning people, putting off your aim etc?

Cocking handle on an SA80 would tear your shoulder a new one, regardless of casing - then you've got a stoppage and the only reason you're putting rounds down is to extract.

...you should be able to fire through the windscreen...

This was a drill taught to us behind the 'wire' as we only had unarmoured hilux. Driving around Bastion they were petrified of insider attacks. This was the old technique taught in NI to those in Snatch landrovers.

How does turning an L85 bring the barrel back half a foot? I can't picture it.

See below quote.

... turn it 90 degrees and put it flat on top of the shoulder... 

Correct, have a cookie. I'd go sit in my car and demonstrate but it would probably take 'selfie of the year'. You pull down, and use the seat back to steady the aim. You're not picking shots, its just aimed roughly towards the shooter, again, to buy you time to react properly. (like the Israeli 'fire from the hip' idea)

Cocking handle on an SA80 would tear your shoulder a new one, regardless of casing - then you've got a stoppage and the only reason you're putting rounds down is to extract.

This was a drill taught to us behind the 'wire' as we only had unarmoured hilux. Driving around Bastion they were petrified of insider attacks. This was the old technique taught in NI to those in Snatch landrovers.

See below quote.

Correct, have a cookie. I'd go sit in my car and demonstrate but it would probably take 'selfie of the year'. You pull down, and use the seat back to steady the aim. You're not picking shots, its just aimed roughly towards the shooter, again, to buy you time to react properly. (like the Israeli 'fire from the hip' idea)

Snatch land rovers have armoured glass?!

Yeah and the rear doors, shame the rest was made from sardine cans.

Well yeah, they're not the best, although having said that I had a snatch take a direct hit from an RPG just in front of the top cover opening and it was fine. My point was though that I was questioning shooting though the windscreen being taught to Snatch crews as they have armoured glass that you can't shoot through.

I've seen a hilux take a hellfire throught the engine block, all occupants got out "unscathed" (with a minor case of tenitus I bet) and after a soak period got back in and drove the damned thing away.

That is why I drive a hilux and my Guys won't go anywhere unless they can rent one, one guy actually got a flight 300miles from his destination just Because they had Hiluxes for rent whereas his destination had none.

Archived