Need input on my AAC Honey Badger build

Interficium

101211od_ausa11137.jpg

I've been agonizing over my parts list for this project for months, going back and forth, particularly on hand guards. I thought I'd solicit the forum for advice.

There have been a lot of crappy Honey Badger builds the last few years , which has sort of propelled me to do things right, or as right as possible for a rifle with all custom-made parts that I'm trying to replicate with off-the-shelf parts. Proper cerakoting of the whole thing will go a long way towards this, I believe, but I still want to get as close as I can.

Receiver: Madbull JP Rifles Complete. Picked mostly on the account of no forward assist. 

Grip: Magpul MOE-K, same as on real weapon.

Stock: VFC 416c stock, this is as close as I think I can get.

Handguard: Could go several different directions on this one:

I didn't want to do TRX Vtac extreme battle rails. I think the ridges would ruin the look. The SS GEN2 would be perfect, I think, but the inner diameter is way too small to accommodate an embedded suppressor. The JP rifles hand guard could work, but it has that really weak tapered way of attaching to the receiver.

Right now I'm leaning towards one of two carbon fiber hand guards: AP custom or Lancer. The lancer looks the part (especially the since it's more polygonal, matching the real weapon), but has that tapered attachment similar to the JP rifles hand guard.

There's always the MFR too.

What do you guys think? 

I think the MFR actually looks pretty close. Also, there's a company called North Eastern Arms that produces a stock called the CCS. I think it looks pretty close to the Honey Badger stock, although It probably doesn't work on AEGs. If you are making a GBBR it might be worth considering though.

I think you need to resign yourself to one of three possibilities here:

1. You're going to spend an incalculable amount of money and time on this project to have parts custom-made from aluminium. Or;
  2. You're going to spend an incalculable amount of time trying to make off-the-shelf parts look like custom-made parts using epoxy and filler. Or;
  3. You're going to end up with a gun that doesn't look much like a Honey Badger.

The sad fact is the reason there have been so many builds is that it is impossible to make something that looks even remotely like the Honey Badger using off-the-shelf parts. As you no doubt have noticed, the RS Honey Badger has a unique pair of receivers, a unique stock, and a unique rail system - so literally none of the parts that give it its distinctive appearance are available off-the-shelf. You need to decide whether between building an integrally suppressed SBR and painting it gold and silver is good enough, or if you're willing to break out the metal putty and do it properly.

Personally, I think that with sufficient time and metal putty you could easily create a convincing replica of the Honey Badger's receivers - the flared magazine well and trigger guard will involve adding, sculpting and sanding putty; nothing too complex. An existing rail system could easily be adapted with putty to resemble the Honey Badger's. It is the stock will present the toughest challenge. At a guess it will require working with aluminium extrusions and more putty to form the external shape and buttpad, but the bar-stock rails and locking mechanism will require a lot of work with a file. It's the sort of thing Candyman could do if he was still making weapons, but I reckon you'd need to put north of 100 hours into this to get it looking even approximately right. On the plus side, metal putty, aluminium offcuts and sandpaper are very cheap - on the downside, your time may be limited. But for the first non-sucky Honey Badger? It might be worth it.

As nice as it looks for an internally suppressed PDW. I'm afraid it looks nothing like a honey badger. :( sorry.

Edit: might've been a bit harsh there ^^ but that photo doesn't look like anything more than standard parts. With the rail you've chosen you could've modded the end with milliput to have the flared hand guard a la the original honey badger configuration. :)

Yeah, I know. I chose to go with COTS parts, not build a Honey Badger. I'm not going to slather the parts in putty and get all wizardlike with power tools only to end up with a half-assed looking pile of *suitcase*. I've seen very few people who can actually use putty and power tools together, and I'm sure as hell not one of them. I decided early on to build a copy of the concept, not the Honey Badger, and I'm very happy with how it turned out (minus the problem of smaller AR15 pistol grips and wiring.

I think you need to resign yourself to one of three possibilities here:

1. You're going to spend an incalculable amount of money and time on this project to have parts custom-made from aluminium. Or;
  2. You're going to spend an incalculable amount of time trying to make off-the-shelf parts look like custom-made parts using epoxy and filler. Or;
  3. You're going to end up with a gun that doesn't look much like a Honey Badger.

4. Wait for a company to make one. My money is on Madbull, and no doubt Echo1 will have their grubby little fingers in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived