Looking to buy a starting AEG, need a little help on deciding.

Chef Incendiare

Hi there, I'm looking to buy a starting AEG for a low price, and so far I have found the Umarex H&K G36C sportline: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/two-tone-airsoft/umarex-g36c-two-tone.htm#.Ur8XcLT6Tcz

, and the SRC Dragon M4 series: http://bbguns24-7.co.uk/en/rifles/136-src-dragon-m4-aeg-sr4-d.html#

I'm having trouble deciding as while the SRC is cheaper, there have been definitive reports of failures in various parts of the gearbox and internals, such as breaking of the hop up rubber and pistons wearing quickly. I have heard of no problems with the Umarex, but the FPS of the gun differs from site to site and I don't know whether or not I'll need to buy a spare M100 spring to use at my local sites. I also need to know whether the Umarex is compatible with JG magazines. I am aware that the externals of the guns are basically plastic but the main thing I'm looking for is high quality internals that will last me long enough to get me through a few games.

Other gun suggestions would also be helpful, but I do have a budget of under £150, thanks for reading.

I think the best way to help you would be to find out how much you're willing to spend - Are you going to be a regular airsofter, do you think? If so I'd honestly recommend renting for the 3 games (Over more than a 2 month period!) It would take to get a UKARA reg number/site ownership, so you don't have to get stuck with a terrible twotone.

I've looked at Landwarriorairsoft and they've got them in stock for 123 pounds. A lipo costs around 20 pound and so does a charger. That's 163 pounds altogether. It's a little bit over your budget, but it means that you will have some decent quality and you won't regret that in the long end.

Well, it's a Combat Machine so it's probably as well made as the other versions. I guess it's only cheaper because it hasn't got a rail system, so that's a good thing. If you buy a charger, a smart charger should be a priority. Those chargers are better for your battery, as they don't overcharge them. Speaking about the battery, I don't really know how well Combat Machines can handle high voltage batteries, so if you buy one, I suggest starting with a 8,4V NiMh or a 7,2V LiPo. With those voltages you're always on the safe side. Higher voltages give you a higher rate of fire, but I don't care about that. I prefer single shots anyway.

Yes, mAh = milli Amp-hour. It's the electrical equivilant of milli litres. 

As Hopna said, it also affects the physical properties of the battery. Try as people might, you can't fit more in less space.

Personally I'd go for small-ish 7.4v Li-Po batteries, but I've never had a gun with a crane stock so i don't know what the battery space is like in them.

Best bet would be to phone airsoft zone up and ask, i'm sure they'd be happy to help.

A (very) rough rule of thumb is that 1mAh will give you one shot so a 3300mAh battery will do you all day whilst an 800 probably won't.

I got 2x 7.4 1680mAh LiPos off Ebay for £5.99 each http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181271530191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And a Titan B6 charger for £13 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350910250072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I also fitted a cool voltage readout/battery alarm which tells you when the LiPo level drops as you can knacker them if you let it drop too far. Only £1.41 so it won't break the bank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290581355039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

People slag them off for being cheapos from China but they seem to work fine. Get some LiPo charging bags or keep them in a biscuit tin in case they decide to explode.

That G&G Two Tone looks fine for you. The batteries go in the foregrip/handguard AFAIK so those 7.4 LiPos fit fine.

Any cheap extras for the M4 can be had off http://dx.com I got a rail for £2.44 and you can get really cheap sights, lasers, mounts etc if you surf around the site.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, new options and lowered budgets have been introduced since the new year, and I managed to go to a scrim. I got some starting gear apart from an AEG including 5000 BB's, a gas pistol with 2 mags, a speedloader and gas. I managed to find a lower priced JG gun within budget, though it will be a while before I can get it. http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/airsoft/electric-airsoft-gun/jg-f082-jg-f082.html#.UtqvL7TFKUn I got my gas pistol, gas and spare magazine from that site, service and quality was above standard. I'll probably get a second battery and 3 spare magazines. Given the FPS limits at my local site I may need a spring change. My friend got an SRC Dragon but couldn't use it due to it being above the 345FPS limit.

I should be able to get everything for the same price as the G&G Combat Machine with only its battery and charger.

• 2 months later...

Again thanks, I recently got my AEG, after many decisions and other options going out of stock, we bought the DBoys M4 SIR sportline version. It came with a free pistol and bag of 0.15g bb's, so it's a nice little gift. Of course, after the chrono it was a tad above the 345fps limit, being 390, so we bought an m90 spring to replace it. I'll find out soon enough exactly what it is now on Sunday, but after can tests it seems to be around 310/320. After the change the rate of fire makes it feel like the gun is shooting a laser beam of bb's, still with the stock 8.4v battery. The externals are mostly pretty good, though small adjustments and modifications have been made for personal preference. The bulk of gear has been bought, including a Sansei mask, a large bottle of guarder gas and some bb's. Next on my list is a 450 round hi-cap, some form of sight and (maybe) a tactical vest.

• 2 weeks later...

The rifle performed perfectly during the game, I've decided that 300 rounds is plenty for a game as I refilled whilst in the dead zone. The gun was chrono'd at 295fps, which was plenty with the hop-up. I'm trying to hold off right now on buying any more guns, I don't want to empty my dad's wallet (again). :P But, I have lined up the next purchase, a beta spetsnaz styled AK. I'm thinking of switching things up a bit, so I don't have two similarly performing AEG's and turning the M4 into a sniper/DMR by putting the 390fps spring back in and locking it to semi-auto, depending on the site regulations about how permanent it has to be. I'll then buy a short low cap and attach the scope to it. I already have a side-arm, so I would be set to go. Then I'll put the m90 into the AK. But, this plan will probably take effect in quite a whoile, or be dismantled completely.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived