welrod -ish

teflon  don

hey guys, 

i while back i planned to make a welrod for the building contest, i unfortunately couldn't complete my build in time

now that i have some free time i decided to complete that build but to give myself some freedom to change (improve) the original design 

as i base gun i opted for the ruger mk 1 (for obvious reasons)

i build the the receiver and the barrel, made sure that the bolt could move and replaced the european style mag catch with a regular one

i also shorten the grip ( just a little bit so i didn't have to redesign the hammer spring/takedown lever)

here are some pictures of the work in progress

IMG_5175.jpg

turning down the original receiver

IMG_5178.jpg

milling an opening in the receiver

IMG_5179.jpg

squaring of the edges 

IMG_5181.jpg

fits like a glove 

IMG_5176.jpg

milling the sides of the frame

IMG_5182.jpg[/uRL]

test fitting 

IMG_5184.jpg

knurling the end plug of the outer barrel 

IMG_5185.jpg

press fitting the barrel together 

IMG_5187.jpg

milling the magazine to work with the mag catch 

IMG_5201.jpg

"chrome plating" the bolt 

Looks great so far! Will this end up being a straight bolt action or will it still be NBB?

for now its a NBB, its the hammer that keeps the bolt closed and the bolt is only used to "brass check" the gun

i don't want to risk screwing up the trigger bar so for now i will keep it like that and with time i will make a trigger bar from scratch (just to make it a bit more authentic) and find a way to keep the bolt go back into battery after loading

here's how it looking now

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

i think i will keep it more or less like this i kinda like how it looks and feels, ill just redo the grip wrap to cover a larger part of the frame and spray the magazine black again and maybe make a larger magazine release button

Awesome job!

I have this idea of making an integrally supressed one, the frame and barrel being one piece. Would you be the man for the task?  :P

thanx mate, 

if you want i can build one for you or just fabricate the parts

Reminds me of a bull barrel ruger pistol. I think it would look more welrodish if the barrel and reciever were the same diameter.

RUGER BULL BARREL:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6URnOrqmEwSSETDCk2CWqx_2PgE2FbU6d9QXEwfWKF-PZdQOt

WELROD:

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/full/1520-JPG633536159382130528.jpg

Reminds me of a bull barrel ruger pistol. I think it would look more welrodish if the barrel and reciever were the same diameter.

i know, i could have made it out of one piece and it would have been easier for me to do so 

but i had so much fun building this one that i might build another one that is a close to the real one as realistically possible or even make a few bodykits that i can sell  

Archived