Post your Bicycle

Well my older stuff, I don't have pictures.

I got my first mountain bike in the late 80s so there might be some blurry polaroids somewhere but out of the dozens there are a few I remember with fondness.

I had a Trek 870, very nice bike.

Then a Saracen Sahara Elite, built like a tank.

Then a Kona Roast, my first Al bike which I upgraded with QR20 triple crown forks and Hope brakes and a 24" rear wheel with a massive tyre.

But this thread needs pictures.

Old DMR

DSC00378_zps1e4ebd5b.jpg

First road bike, hopeless brakes but it was OK, a Halfords special cycle-to-work Carrera Vanquish

DSC00391_zps452e2e22.jpg

Current sweetheart.

A Kona Rove with a new back tyre (original burst its casing), FD, front(left) shifter and so on.

Hope disks coming soon.

Mud-yay_zps1ba0170e.jpg

Former murder basement.

I have moved since then.  Originally to be closer to work (I am 1km now) but now that is a pain because a 10k commute each way on a bike was keeping me fit.

I love the CX style of bike, I don't know if it was just the right time for me but I had never heard of them. I was a died-in-the-wool MTB rider and I felt shame the day I bought a road bike but it was that or an early death.

The bike is steel and rides just like an early steel MTB only with dropped bars.

It's like riding around on nostalgia.

Of course, because I just see it as a drop barred old school MTB I have taken it down some single track and forest trails.  I overtook some kid in the Cotswolds who was on a full DH bike while I was on the drops because I couldn't get enough leverage on the brakes from the hoods.

Scared the *suitcase* out of him (and myself).

Imagine powering down some forest trail at what you think is max attack on a DH bike and some fat guy on a commuter bike goes past you.

That bike's probably on ebay now :)

I've been reading about some of the races that they have here. An hour of laps in a muddy field, running up stairs and jumping over hurdles and such.

It's all a bit too competitive for me, I don't really like that sort of thing.

I have entered a 100Km Audax in March there are timed cut-offs at the check points but beyond that I don't really want to compete against anyone.

Next year I will compete against the me from this year.

• 3 months later...

I've been reading about some of the races that they have here. An hour of laps in a muddy field, running up stairs and jumping over hurdles and such.

It's all a bit too competitive for me, I don't really like that sort of thing.

It's a Flemish speciality.

Picked this one up today.

zvcxsx.jpg

My third Giant in 15+ years.

Got it at a 20% discount, local bike shop stops selling the brand.

It's not really a MTB. some call it a fitness bike, others a multi use bike.

Either way it speeds up faster than a MTB.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...