Ground Zero Weekender August 2014

In a 45 minute game I might shoot 300 rounds, either with GBBs of various types or my M4 AEG.

WOW - I take it you move around quite a bit? The site I played at today is very boggy and there is a lot of standoffs due to the small size and dense layout.. But fare play 300 in a 45 min game!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you could say that, my strategy is to run toward the enemy until I can hit them with a few round from a pistol or my Skorpion. To be fair, if it's woodland with more open spaces I'll use more than that.

Stuff to bring

Tent, obviously, but also kip mat/camp bed - important IMO, you can't enjoy a skirmish when you feel like you've had your spine tied in a knot from crashing out for the night on a pebble.

Chair: as above, you can get stiff sitting on the ground for too long, especially when the temperature drops at night. 

Good Socks/Good boots: look after your feet. Sweaty balls you can deal with, blisters will end your weekend. The hills are quite steep in places, and you do not want to be reduced to hobbling up and down them.

Lighting: you really don't want to fumble about in the dark and wipe someone's tent out. Significantly less so if they're laid in it at the time.

Loo roll: That dude who is always on the scrounge for his camp mates bog paper and leaves them short when they've got the squits from eating surplus MREs? You don't want to be that guy. He's not popular. ;)

Food: cooking or buying? The prices aren't as bad as music festival prices, so if you opt to buy from the food vans, you shouldn't need more than probably £10 a day. I personally do a bit of both. I feel that camp cooking is part of the overall experience, and since I'm bringing a hexi burner and kettle anyway I may as well cook a bit too.

Entertainment: not essential, adds a bit of atmosphere though if you have a stereo on the go in camp.

Gun Power: you can't always get batteries charged on site, so if you're an AEG user, make sure you have spares or some way of charging them. Gas is less of an issue as they sell it in the shop.

BBs: If you use anything exotic, best to bring your own. If you use bog standard .20g/.25g then again, shop will have plenty, not too silly a price either IIRC.

Spare gun: if you can, it's better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it. (the condom theory ;) )

Bottled water isn't essential as the taps on site are pretty good drinking water. Do take some way of carrying it though, be it camelback or canteen. It's a long old trek from camp coursey to the nearest tap.

Spare eye pro: you tread on your glasses in the night and you'll be cursing hard in the morning.

Radio: if you have one, it's worth taking since it weighs next to bugger all. if you go bundling down a hill and get injured and you're on your own you might be glad of it.

General tips

Buddy up with your friends, keep an eye on each other and make sure you stay hydrated. (beer doesn't count)

Look after your feet. I really wasn't messing, so I'm mentioning it again. Most of the hills are steep, and the ones that arent, are sandy.

Don't get too drunk. There's a GZ pic of me in the very first Airsoft Action where I was very hungover. Turns out I can't snipe when I'm throwing up in a fern bush.

Chat to people. You hear crazy stories and learn stuff. I've been playing nearly 10 years and marshalling for about 5 of them. I still learn new stuff chatting to complete strangers at sites.

Don't forget to bring your sense of humour. ;)

I shall bring my flag. It is blue, and yellow and has my most badass of emblems on it.

I have been meaning to make my Jolly Roger for some time. Maybe this will be the excuse I need. 

Just two of us heading down. Both coming from different ends of the country. 

I'll be posting up on the friday with where I am camped, so if you're stuck for anything or need a hand then give me a shout and I'll see if I can help.

Yeah, its as simple as that. Way out the back there is a section for people that want an early night where there is to be no noise or music.

Sod that. ;)

They're very strict on gate opening times on the friday, so if you're too early you won't get in. IIRC there is opportunity to pay extra and camp the Thursday night too, so you can get the pick of the site. Not as many go for that though. We tend to get there about 10 ish on the friday, and pack up and leave after the game on the sunday.

Myself and Bodgeups will be tagging along with The Infidels on Others (I think).

I expect we'll be in the noisy camp too ;).

New European record for turnout apparently :). Really looking forward to this. I've been wanting to go for over a decade, but never got around to it :P.

We should arrange an RV, have an Arnies meet up, probably Saturday night If everybody's up for it (I will be absolutely slaughtered with my own team Friday night, as I guess most other people will be)

And our team "Foxtrot Oscar" will be in the noisy section, normally competing with everyone else for volume.

Darkchild

Myself and Bodgeups will be tagging along with The Infidels on Others (I think).

I expect we'll be in the noisy camp too ;).

New European record for turnout apparently :). Really looking forward to this. I've been wanting to go for over a decade, but never got around to it :P.

FINALLY. :P

Yeah, it will be Others that your TB lot are on. I tagged along with Flakey a little bit last year.

I'm definitely up for a meet up, I shouldn't be too hard to find.

FINALLY. :P

Yeah, it will be Others that your TB lot are on. I tagged along with Flakey a little bit last year.

I'm definitely up for a meet up, I shouldn't be too hard to find.

I know! :D Next thing you know, I'll be doing Milsim an' stuff! :P

Had planned on popping past your good self, and raising a glass or two anyway... So an Arnies meet would be a logical extension. Always nice to put names to faces :).

Archived