Ground Zero Weekender August 2014

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right i will

Give ya my feed back from this year...

National Airsoft Event 2014 Verdict:

It was good, now it isn't good. The company you keep is the most important factor for me and It was great to get drunk with the boys and have some of the funniest moments I have had in airsoft. The first half of the DELAYED Saturday was brilliant because we kept as far away from the Jizzfest that engulfed most the playing area. We spent the majority of our time up near the top right of the site hunting Rambo wannabe's like Will and his crew from First Blood. Now THAT was fun. The night games was better, i loved using my nightvision but i couldn't understand why on earth we had to climb a Bloody mountain to play??

What wasn't fun was the sheer greed of the event. More players does not mean more fun. I went in 2007 when it had hit roughly a 1000 players. The next in 2011 with 1600 odd but this year it had climbed to roughly 2100 (The site says 1965 but thats online bookings. They are taking contactable walk ons). There will never be a cap on the numbers as it makes far too much money with its dubious shop deals, massively overpriced food (Fancy a half melted Icecream for 4 quid? No? *fruitcage* off?) and grotesque under manning in terms of marshals. I think we saw roughly 6 the whole weekend. 4 driving around in 4X4's and another 2 on the entrance checking peoples eye protection was on.

The numbers, Lack of staff and any sort of gameplan was complete ###### (You can argue that the idea is to shoot the other team but bare with me here). All people did was sit in bushes in the hundreds and simply full auto the entire woodland area into oblivion. You have children running around who can take more punishment that the *fruitcage* T1000! Many a time My team mate and his AUG brother would lash someone with hundreds of rounds (27rps, 4 people firing at called targets) to see teeth and gums exploding into clouds of claret only for them to stand up and return fire!. Heard of calling your hits? No then how about calling that your arm has actually been reduced to a pulped mess then!

Next is the retarded spawn points. Groups of enemy players would walk hand in hand into the zones only to have confused chats with eachother over what the *fruitcage* they are doing. We would come across groups of Bravo attacking Others players only to turn around and have a full blown conversation with another squad of Bravos! Theres also the infamous "HOLD YOUR HAND UP!" maneuver where you simply shout that your squad are dead players and you walk right into an enemy base and magically respawn now you have gotten to where you needed to be. Pure toss!

Oh and it was delayed in the morning because they had to make explosions go off......nevermind setting up earlier eh?

In the end I had a fantastic laugh getting ###### and enjoying the comfort of a good banter around a fire. Which again because of the company I was in I loved my weekend. But dont buy into that "Social before airsoft" ###### that the *fruitcage* imbecile "H" likes to smash on about during his briefings as its simply a cover for "If you have a *fruitcage* *suitcase* time....then you forget its a social thing".

Pros:

Company

Weather

First Half Of The day Rambo Hunting

Drinking

Fire Chalice

Cons;

Terrible Organization

Overpriced

Overpriced Food

Little To No Marshaling

Hit Taking

Awful Game Setup

Too Many Players (Would be balanced with 3 times the playzone)

Unrivaled Cheating

Recommendations? Go with 20 people. Hold an area and dont take your hits for a wicked time

Sounds to me like a typical day back when I played GZ years ago (bar the 'too many players')

Perhaps it is a case of too many players makes it easier to spot the cheats but the lack of marshalling and organisation is hard to forgive at all given the numbers and what they charge.

Hopefully some other players will chime in with thier comments, but if it seems this poor play is a trend then I might look elsewhere for my weekender next year.

I have no idea if I met any of you guys. We were the ones who got told off on the morning brief for being too loud in the loud area.

Darkchild

'FireKnife'

Found it to be mostly ok until Sunday when we encountered the team of french guys on delta who seemed to think the rules were there to be broken.

When we approached outpost 7 we were ambushed from out of bounds. We politely told them that the lane was the boundary, they apologised and went back to re spawn. When they came back, again it was from out of bounds. And when we took the outpost they were holding, we found that they'd knotted the flag ropes to the point we had to take down the whole flagpole to change the flag.

Saturday though, I found the conduct to be spot on where I was, being congratulated on my shooting by deltas and bravos alike.

Hmm, maybe the idea that 'depends where you are and who you are shooting at' holds true then?

On a site that big and with that many plays you might get all the nice guys one side and all the *rickrolls* on the other come to think of it.

Saying that next year will be the first time I am properly free for it so might just have to go along and say 'been there, done that'.

'FireKnife'

I loved the Saturday it was great Airsoft with great battles and by and large good hit taking (yes I heard there was not always but everyone I shot took it), but Sunday seemed to bomb not sure why but tempers and game play did take a dive, I have played every weekender since it started but I am NOT a GZ regular as it is a 300 mile round trip if I was but I think the site has reached its capacity and I spent more time waiting for dead players to get out of the way than I probably did playing at times and unfortunately this did lead to 'meat shielding' by individuals on one side on the Saturday and was carried on yesterday with so many players this is hard to stop but only more Marshall's and not vehicle bound ones might help.

Some people on here seem to dislike H and call him names and I think you should talk to him as he is very approachable and easy to talk to and will take on board any issues you have and use them next year if they are good but if you don't you have no one to blame for things not changing but yourself.

Curlyboy

Problem i found was we went for lunch at say 12, came back at 2 and everywhere went there was *Ubarflock* just dug in and plastering you the moement you walked into the game, and even when we got to our team they where bogged down on a the village with litterly 3 gits just pocket shooting; worse was we had 3 SMGs and they could not get through! Also not one marshal to guide us somewhere else!

I noticed a strange phenomena that was causing a lot of confusion. I shot a lot of people that didn't call hit, but simply stood up and walked away, so they took their hits but gave no feedback. This made it incredibly hard to discern what was going on in the middle of a large scale battle, as you had a mixture of live and dead players and no way to clearly tell the difference, as a lot of the dead players were making no real effort to leave the area.

But apart from that, and some outrageous Teflon warriors on the others team (seriously, I put a burst into one kiddie, he ignored me and took cover but the top of his helmet was still visible, so I directed the fire of three of my fellows and we sent about 2 hundred rounds tinging off his lid. As soon as we stopped he jumped up and took a new firing position!

But in general, the gameplay was fun.

Darkchild

I enjoyed myself :D.

Huge numbers made it interesting. Spent a lot of time walking past hoards of players lining paths, looking tactical an' stuff... And into bottle necks of players trying to get into the action. Saying that, it was my first NAE, and when split from my team mates, I got hopelessly lost. Once I'd linked up with guys who knew the site, we were cutting through cover, rather than sticking to the paths.

Cheating was ridiculous on all 3 teams. I was on The Others. I saw Bravo players, Delta players, and Others players all cheat. One fellow Others player explaining (when I politely challenged him regarding the burst that had taken myself, my team mate, and him out), that "I just want to shoot these guys down here first". Not wanting to Marshal someone else's Site, we just noted his player number and wished him a good weekend (as per H's request ;)).

I also heard some Delta guys balling out some fellow Delta for cheating.

We also bumped into the cheatfest that was the French group (not a nationalistic thing, but these guys really took the award for idiocy).

Biggest bugbear for me was the amount of friendly fire. Many, many itchy triggers, desperate to get a kill due to the frustration of getting into contact through your own ranks. But meh, all part of it.

I'll be back next year. It is what it is. A weekend length, old school, skirmish. It's not a milsim, and doesn't pretent to be... And other than the cheating, I loved it.

Well done Bravo

*fruitcage* you Delta :P

2015 belongs to The Others! :D

Just sounds like a bigger typical skirmish to me nowadays.

Always get the cheats, but you can always play away from them I suppose.

Ah well, next year, next year. (I even have family offering to put me up and a way to at least get my MP5K down the road).

'FireKnife'

Did any one have anyone have any distinguishable features or team mates that i may have recognised you from?

I was the midget with the cowboy holster.

I think the percentage of cheaters factor is present- you will always have a percentage of cheats, and or children, and at the weekend there was an increase in players and thus and increase in the number of cheats!

Was an alright weekend, lots of tempers flared, but some nice play regardless. Including finding myself and Hudson in Delta's base taking out their team to cries of 'mate friendly' with us silently tapping out blue tags and dashing back into the hedges.

That's a lot of Augs. Quite liking them, actually! What make are they?

Annoyed I couldn't make it. Paid, and then a lodger turned up a week in advance. Erp.

All Tokyo Marui High Cycles dude. Very compact and lightweight. Plus it was time for a little mixup as we had used alot of M4's over the years :)

Do you think team dead areas would clear up a lot of the confusion? Not a lot we can do about cheaters.

From a first timers perspective... Oh hell yes! Team specific deadzones would have helped me a lot... However. I can see that the players with more NAE experience would appreciate the ability to respawn at as many sites as potentially possible. Tricky one, as damned if you do, damned if you don't - I sure as hell wouldn't want to deal with 2000 people, and you're never going to please everyone.

Again, given the numbers - The players that didn't want to take their hits really didn't spoil it for me. Irritating at the time, but meh, so is getting shot, lol.

I had a huge amount of fun, and I'm a cynical sod. I tip my hat to the organisers, simply for managing to run it with that many people.

Archived