ANA commercial. Racist?

hitmanNo2

I'm sure perception is everything when it comes to that. You and me see no harm in it, others in this very thread have concluded it is racist against Japanese people, whilst others yet have concluded it is racist against white people.

If the tag line was 'ANA commercial, Funny!' rather than 'ANA commercial, Racist?', would it have invited the viewer to look for the silly humour they have aimed for, rather than hunt for any sign of possible offence?

Has anyone in this thread said the video is racist? I know I haven't. Also regarding the gesture by Anelka. He said (originally) that it was to show support to his friend (who has said naughty things about the holocaust and Jewish people in generally), that's why people have said it wasn't just a gesture to show 'anti-establishment' as he later claimed. I think he's a bit of an idiot and didn't fully consider, what doing a gesture would cause. It's all over the top and something people love to go on and on about.

Stan Collymore kicked Ulricha Johnsson in the head (three times), in a bar; in Paris, 1998.

It all comes down to linguistic theory. The reader will interpret the words or images and apply their meaning regardless of speakers intent.

For example to me ulysses means npthing more than a whinging student sticking two fingers at the eatablishment, where as others understand it as a deep meaningful exploration of the classics in the shoes of the normal working class man. A classic where the hero isn't a hero.

Same with the gesture, to him its anti establishment and supporting a friend to others its antisemetic.

Or the c word, in england it can be a light insult that can be used between mates whereas in canada that cant be used in that context however in d.h lawrence it is a synonym for deep lasting romantic love.

So given the right or wrong reader a wilted piece of asparagus is a symbol of a disregard and care for black customers. Basically anything can be racist in the right reading

That's very true. But with the footballer, he made the gesture because his friend had done so. He then did the gesture to show support. He wouldn't have done the gesture if his friend was not getting his shows banned (due to the anti-Semitic remarks). That's why he's been punished and also because a lot of Jewish people found it offence (in France). To be honest, it would have been better if he just apologised and that was it. He made a gesture, he didn't mean to cause offence and won't do it again. The End. But it's never that simple.

Regarding this video. Wouldn't it be xenophobia and not racism? If indeed a nation was being advertise as looking a certain way (alla 'x' people look like 'y').

Indeed.  I have family that moved out to Germany many years ago and they brought their Faulty Towers VHS box set with them. After it got lent out the first time, it just went to the next person.  I seem to recall it came back to them after a few years looking akin to a 60 year old hooker.

Archived