GBB FNX-45 Tactical

Starblade54

An FNX-45 may cycle with an Osprey (I believe you said it 'slowed down'?) but I'm not so sure it's going to work so well when you add half as much weight  again with batteries, sensors and LEDs. The Osprey itself is already a very heavy suppressor (~200g?) - at 300g it'll be almost 10x the weight of an LPE carbon-fibre suppressor.

I'd like to see it done, so please go ahead and prove me wrong.

Hence me saying 'fine' rather than 'well'. Still perfectly acceptable and just as snappy as other pistols I found. I was able to get through around 1.5 mags before it needed regassing. You're right in saying the electronics will add weight, especially the batteries. But if he was to keep the batteries as far to the rear as possible it might be doable. 

Out of interest have you seen 200g quoted as a weight? I've yet to see a list weight for the Ospreys myself which seems odd given that weight is an important factor with floating barrels, although one that tends to be ignored in favour of coolness which the Osprey has plenty of.

The Osprey suppressors seem ideal for a tracer conversion though in terms of space, the shape means there is masses of room for battery placement away from the barrel itself.

I've no idea how much one weighs. I will weigh mine when I get home for you :) 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest have you seen 200g quoted as a weight? I've yet to see a list weight for the Ospreys myself which seems odd given that weight is an important factor with floating barrels[.]

Ace1Arms' website doesn't quote weight (at least, not insofar as I can see) but UNCo. quotes the 7" at 232g and the 8" at 246g.

But if he was to keep the batteries as far to the rear as possible it might be doable.

This is the other key issue, I think. We can think of a barrel as a lever that moves around a fulcrum at its chamber end. Adding to the length of the barrel (e.g. by adding a suppressor) increases the length of the lever, which means that the longer the suppressor, the greater the force it exerts upon the cycling of the gun. Additionally, the weight of the Osprey is concentrated towards the rear, where the indexing assembly and steel parts are, which means that the amplification of their weight is relatively small. If weight starts to spread along the suppressor (batteries etc.) from the chamber (a) towards the muzzle end (b) the multiplication effect of the law of the lever -

2150869a93a0bee6f89bc426188c0716.png

- acts to amplify the force (F, probably mostly inertial in this case) that that weight exerts on the cycling of the gun.

Anyway, I want to see this done anyway, because I think a TM Mk.23 would look the tits with the 7" Osprey and I've always loved tracer.

i wouldnt be using heavy batteries anyways, as with my other tracer project, i'd likely use a 7.4 lipo. but without getting hold of an osprey and pulling it apart i couldn't say how hard/easy it'd be. oh, and is the only holster about at the moment the bladetech?

bear in mind the real one is full of metal baffles, but likely the A1A version will be made of worse materials.

edit: guh £115 for it and two mags. god.

This is the other key issue, I think. We can think of a barrel as a lever that moves around a fulcrum at its chamber end. Adding to the length of the barrel (e.g. by adding a suppressor) increases the length of the lever, which means that the longer the suppressor, the greater the force it exerts upon the cycling of the gun. Additionally, the weight of the Osprey is concentrated towards the rear, where the indexing assembly and steel parts are, which means that the amplification of their weight is relatively small. If weight starts to spread along the suppressor (batteries etc.) from the chamber (a) towards the muzzle end (b) the multiplication effect of the law of the lever -

2150869a93a0bee6f89bc426188c0716.png

- acts to amplify the force (F, probably mostly inertial in this case) that that weight exerts on the cycling of the gun.

Anyway, I want to see this done anyway, because I think a TM Mk.23 would look the tits with the 7" Osprey and I've always loved tracer.

I know, you've just said what I was inferring.. bit of a long winded explanation to everyone who already understands.

I think you could go as far as using a really tiny 250mah 7.4v lipo similar to the ones I use for my P*, they weigh hardly anything and if you do the tracer right they would probably last a good while, can run the P* FCU for well over a day. Then all you would need to worry about is the LED module and sensor and the wiring basically. 

I will be at the mall this Thursday Jon, I'll bring the osprey if you want to take some measurements/see what you're working with? 

I'm not so sure I agree that the Osprey is easy to fit a tracer unit into, it's quite a lot narrower than a normal tracer unit's innards, as my understanding is that the reason why it's rectangular it's so that it's profile is similar enough to that of a gun that holsters can be made for them without making the whole thing much bulkier. I'd be awesome to see you maange with 7.4 lipos, but from the way I see it you'd almost have to completely dissemble the tracer and re-wire the board for that to work... I could wrong though, fancy doing mine as well? :D

delta that'd be awesome if you wouldn't mind. and i tried running a B&T off of a 300mah (with voltage regulation) and it lasted about a game and a half, and i dont fire a lot. i just swapped it for a 1300. hehe.

No worries pal, I'll bring it with me. Ahh really? Obviously the FCU uses a lot less power then! Or a short sudden burst of light uses a lot more power than I expected! 

[F]rom the way I see it you'd almost have to completely dissemble the tracer and re-wire the board for that to work... I could wrong though, fancy doing mine as well? :D

A tracer must have some of the simplest circuitry known to man - it's basically 'if lightgate tripped, flash'. I would have thought your 3D printer would be ideal for creating the internal assembly that would hold a small LiPo, a circuitboard, and the light tube.

• 1 month later...

User MRV over at AirsoftSverige was in touch with a rep. from Cybergun who just gav him this news;

Arthur at Cybergun

"Hey NN, some guys of the Board just told me that they voted yes for the FNX-45 Black yesterday evening ! Let's thank the SHOT Show and its drinking evenings lol

I still don't know exactly when but it seems it might be possible to see it before the end of the year. Stay tuned !"

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for not mentioning this sooner guys, but I think people forget that there are more than RMR's out there. Anything Doctor style will fit without the need for a mount. It's not pretty but it works, or you could cut the pegs off the azmuth one to fill the gap, your call. Now you can put a not ###### chinese RMR on it like this Weaver that goes for cheap.

11005646_831555723560967_1478412143_n_zp

EDIT: I modded my mount. Took more work than I thought because the weaver is about 2mm longer than the RMR, it required cutting off the rear connecting brace on the mount also

Just spotted that.  Count me interested in the FNX now.  It will have to take a price cut though.  Hopefully when the black one comes out.  It's nowhere near a $225 gun.  Plus $50/$60 + P&P to fix something that shouldn't have been made in the first place. $300 for that is somewhat grating.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit thicker than the RS, so it's more of a 1/3cowitness than a 1/2. But I don't think I care too much

Pictures removed

So, these are pictures of the airsoft version (the ridge in the bbu is in one of the pictures) and the pictures show that modification is needed to get the red dot on. The plate looks like the middle section has been removed to accommodate the ridge in the bbu.

Edit: for clarity. The mounting plate looks modified as the airsoft version has a ridge at the back connecting both sides of the plate together. In the pictures this ridge is absent. Also, originally it was said that a real steel plate fits on (but no mention if the bbu ridge needed to modified it if the plate needed modification), but these pictures show that isn't the case.

Archived