WAS Sabre - better choice than HSGI?

Curly68

Just got notification through from Warrior Assault Systems that they have release a leg rig called Sabre and looks identical to the HSGI taco but for half the price! Comes in ATACS FG, Multicam and Coyote Tan at the moment.

They have also released a nice looking chest rig called the Nemesis which isn't a lot of money either. I have a RICAS, which is my second one and the quality is superb. If they do the Sabre in black I'm on it totally!

What do you guys think?

http://uktactical.com/c-667-new-sabre-legrig.aspx

http://uktactical.com/c-666-new-nemesis.aspx

I own some TMC costa panels and there are differences between them and the WAS ones, so I dont think it is just a rebranding sittuation, just WAS releasing their own costa leg rigs

For starters:

The TMC panels have no rubber in the leg strap

WAS tacos use fabric and probably somekind of plastic as lateral retention while TMCs have a more HSGI plastic pieces 

Both panels are molle, but the WAS one seems to be higher quality

This said, the TMCs are surely lower quality overall compared to the WAS, but for 40$ shiped, a panel and 3 tacos, whose quality is way more than decent is a great price. Not to mention that if someone has the budget, WAS option is the better one. I would only buy HSGI version if I were in the USA and a diehard "made in USA" fan

I wonder if WAS will release Taco pouches separate?

Here's hoping! The TMC tacos are fine for most AEG magazines (especially the lighter or ridged ones, ie PMAGs), but the pistol ones will struggle a little with heavy GBB magazines. Had a few scares already, so would be good to get something made for real steel magazines.

Much as such blatant copying isn't exactly nice it's what WAS has always done and will continue to do so there's nothing surprising here.  I stopped buying the stuff a couple of years back because they seem resistant to moving away from 1000D but the quality never skipped a beat, it may be made in china but then so are plenty of other high-end commodities.  If anything I've seen some really shoddy (considering the reputation of the brand/price) HSGI gear so I'd wager the WAS entry is at least as good.

How good of a job the TACO-a-likes will do in terms of retention is yet to be seen because they look to have used fabrics in place of the plastic at the sides/bottom, but I'd imagine they'll be fine.  Actually I'm really hoping now they do release their own TACOs separately because they'll use standard PALS attachment straps and I love TACOs but *fruitcage* despise MALICE clips with an all-encompassing passion.

WAS gear appears to be coming in at 500D now CK. Really tempted by 901 with backplate or DCS but waiting for the OD stuff to turn up (so might be  awhile then)

I personally would get a HSGI rig over the Sabre but wouldn't be averse to getting 'WASCO' pouches.

WAS gear appears to be coming in at 500D now CK. Really tempted by 901 with backplate or DCS but waiting for the OD stuff to turn up (so might be  awhile then)

Hmm..  right you are.  At a second look, being 500D and split-front (didn't see that initially) the Nemesis has very much peaked my interest, for £50/55 that's an absolute *fruitcage* steal if the build quality is up to usual standards (and I'd bet it is).

Not made my mind up on the Sabre because I quite fancy a D3 carrier, tough one.

I emailed UKTactical and asked of they were going to bring out the Nemesis and Sabre in black or OD and they said that they are not planning on doing that anytime soon. I also asked when their line of OD rigs etc will be released and their answer was later this year!

They do take a long time to restock or advertise new lines before they come into stock but I do like their quality and will be buying a Sabre very soon. Will post up what it is like when I get it.

See, I liked the Nemesis but the fact the pouches are fixed killed it for me. I'm looking for something that offers a 'high' (As in won't clash with belt line) rig with space for a hydration carrier in back. Closest thing looks like a 901 or Weesatch....

Archived