Barrel extensions - yay or nay?

Krydel

Afternoon Arnies dwellers!

I have a G&P MOE CQB at the moment and looking at getting a noveske nsr handguard (I will be removing the front sight post)

The 9 inch variant comes up just a little short for my liking, as I'm looking have the handguard come right up to the flash hider/outer barrel thread, then stick a KX3 on the end. 10 inches would be ideal, but the next step up is 11".

This leads me to my next question: Has anybody ever used the Madbull 1" or 2" barrel extenders commonly available? Essentially just an extra lump of CCW threaded outer barrel you stick on the end. I was thinking of getting a thread adaptor from CW to CWW, then a 1" extension, and that should put me at the extra length to be able to put a 11" handguard on without swallowing the flash hider?

My main concern is whether they interfere with the BB flight?

If you have a G&P, check the threads. G&P are usually threaded CW, rather than the usual CCW threads.

Yeah it is. Hence i said i'd get the thread adaptor before i get the extension :)

From experience, as long as you've got an inner barrel that's long enough you should be OK. Many years ago I bought an M733 with an M16 length outer barrel set. I put on the longer barrel without lengthening the inner and the BB's bounced around inside.

The barrel length *should* be less drastically different than that. The barrel goes right up to the end at the moment, so it would need to travel 2", then whatever the length of a KX3 is, unimpeded. I recall having issues with my GHK G5 when i put the Carbine kit on it without the extra barrel length with BBs bouncing off the insides, but i don't know if 2-3 ish inches would be fine.

I have used these products in the past. Used a 2 inch one on a SCAR build where I wanted a Noveske flashhider to sit flush agaisnt a SRX system. They work pretty well for their purpose but I would suggest you get something like the weakest locktight you can find. Just something to make it a bit more solid since your essentially turning your one piece barrel into multiple pieces which can cause some play if they threads are locking up tight enough.

They are fine, I have an APS set of extensions and are much better value than madbull by far. And dont worry about the outer barrel being a bit longuer than the inner, if the inner barrel is properly centered, the BB will fly out unhindered. I use a 400mm barrel in an AKM (455mm). you will be fine :)

Archived