First Impressions of the 2013 GHK AK-105

Its that time of year again, I get a new rifle and slap up a quick first impressions/review.
So onwards to the...err stuff.

I bought the rifle from Samoon, whom happened to be the cheapest overall and did a great job getting the rifle and other bits to me.
It comes well packaged in layers of cardboard, its unlikely to receive damage in transit I would think.
Box contains the rifle itself and mag (or mags), speed loader, manual, a small bottle of silicone oil and a spare hop chamber.
The manual is pretty basic but does the job, oddly only contains the part numbers for the AKS-74U.
Spare hop chamber is interesting, I heard these were prone to breaking in earlier versions which may have prompted this. Using high quality BB's is highly recommended to prevent damage.

Here's a little eye candy before I go on about the externals:

ZBMmTXd.jpg
ILctn4U.jpg
fYyzqGm.jpg
QUzTmF2.jpg
2se2SBP.jpg
BEMIVvL.jpg

As you may well know, the externals are LCT which are supposedly on par of not better than Real Sword externals.
I cant really find anything to critique about the externals, except they are very clean. Everything fits with no rattle. The stock, sling loop and selector lever all require a fair amount of strength to use which is quite reassuring.
This is a rifle that needs to be treated a bit more rough that you would think, even getting the top cover on requires a good slap.
The rifle may have been oiled externally before I got it was it attracted dust something crazy, nothing a quick wipe couldn't handle.

The magazine shell is a hard plastic with the front lug being plastic and the rear metal.
The valve is well protected so you shouldn't accidentally vent your mags.

There is a hole in the receiver just under the scope mount, I have no idea why its there though. (drainage?)
Im really not sure what else to say on the externals, everything is just great to my eyes. 

Onwards to the internals and operation in the next post!

So here comes the slightly more informative part of this threat.

The internals seems to continue the trend of looking quite high quality.
If I remember correctly /SOME/ of the trigger parts are steel, I cant remember which however.
The finish on the bolt is quite nice, in comparison to its competitor.
The trigger system is actually quite simple but works very well. As of the 2012 version it also has a system to stop the gun firing when the mag is empty, little more on this later.

The hop uses the newer GHK grey rubber which is quite good for accuracy and range as G5 users can probably attest and also uses a dial to adjust the hop.
Due to its position and how stiff it us you will require a pointy tool of some sort to adjust it during a skirmish.

As you may know the bolt only travels about half way, I have heard of ways to extend this slightly but I wouldnt think it was worth it as the ROF and recoil is quite nice as is.

One other thing to mention is there was no lube on the internals at all as far as I can tell.

Onwards to pictures, keep in mind I used flash for these so the colours are WAY off to what they look like IRL:

UBU6rQQ.jpg
WLgbuBA.jpg
J0Iy0Jd.jpg
HUKdVww.jpg
rN4rK1z.jpg

Final post next to deal with operation and feel.

So, after all that how does it fire?

Very well in fact.
The recoil is fairly strong and sharp, which was nice considering the slightly higher weight of what I am used to.
It is VERY loud and has quite the unique clack to it. Auto fire is especially pleasing to use.

However, so far the dry fire mech is only semi-reliable. Although it did work eventually occasionally you could still get 2-3 dry fire shots off before the mech worked and stopped you pulling the trigger.
It did however appear to get better with more use, might just need a little break in or some more lube.
Unlike its competitor, the hammer will NOT drop when it is activated, it will simply stop you pulling the trigger. You do need to do a complete reload to continue firing.

Only other bad thing I can mention is the trigger pull. Much like the G5 it feels like an AEG with not much of a describable 'break' point. Very light and lacks feel.

Accuracy and range reports will come another time as well as chrono once i've fitted the 1J bolt.
I only had .25 bb's with me and I tend to use .30g's for skirmishing.

Last thing to note, GHK's rilfes DO NOT like Goldenball bb's, which is a shame as I've been using them for years in my other GBBR's.
However, Blasters work perfectly.

Hope this little review may help any future purchasers, keep in mind most of the AK internals are shared across the range so any problems that crop up I will report here.
Any questions feel free to ask.

I have the 2012 version(the only difference AFAIK is the hop-up rubber), I only swapped the hop-up rubber for the new one, otherwise its stock. I never had a problem with the stop-firing mechanism, however when I used Madbull 0.3 BBs it misfeed every 5-10 rounds or so. Still a very good gun, with one fully charged magazine I could shoot over 180 BBs on semi, before it starts weakening.

upaqe6es.jpg

Have a few of these ghk ak's.

Depending on the bbs you use, it may be a bit difficult to load the mag. Using a smaller diameter bb would allow for smoother loading.

The hop dial is super hard to turn. Sanding down the o-ring helps.

There are a lot of rough edges/surfaces that I elected to sand down on mine. After that, the action of the bolt became buttery smooth.

Known issues...the fin on the plastic bolt that rides on the guides tend to break off. The loading lip of the hop unit has been known to break.

The front and rear sights dont always work with the hop set for a slight overhop. It would require raising the front sight by a lot...so much so that a couple of turns completely unscrews it! Just clean it and use loctite to set it.

I have used it in 45F cold. The gun is skirmishable. Not awesome....but skirmishable. Surely, warm temps will bring the performance to a higher level.

Gun has very good range and accuracy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Little follow up.

Been having a lot of fun with my AK.
The 105 with the 1 joule bolt installed does a good 330 in room temps, perfect for the UK.
Decent range and accuracy for the stock rubber, cannot really complain here.

Unfortunately in my skirmish today the hop unit broke, somehow the top of the unit snapped right off. The hop rubber tore to boot.
Presuming a mis-feed caused that to happen, possibly just the bolt slamming against it.

Any of the metal hop chambers worth bothering with or should I stuck to the stock plastic ones? 

Moe grip is a must have...it's heaps more comfy than the oem ak grip.

Zereck, I cannibalized one of my AKM's to get the receiver. Lol. The stock adapter does not come with the required screws. I had to track down some at the local hardware store so I could mount my adapter in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The trigger and dust cover locking tabs are not steel on the 2013 AKM. Afaik, only difference between the 2012 and 2013 AKM is the bucking.

Also, it seems like it's just the 74u that has the steel piston/rod assembly. It kicks harder than the AKM and the 105...at least that's how it got mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would presume the 74m and 105 to be identical internally. 

Samoon lists both the 105 & 74m having the steel trigger,  locking tab/buffer & spring (steel again)  pre installed. 

Might wish to ask Samoon for confirmation though. 

The other changes between the 2012 &  13 versions are the angle of the vice trigger was changed and the weight of the nozzle. 

Odd that the AKM still comes with the old parts.