Emerson Surefire X300U Weaponlight: Quick Review

I own both the TLR-1S and TLR-1 HL (used for my Glocks), but was searching for a X300/X300 Ultra for both my M&P and XDM-40. NOt wanting to spend $200 for a light for a GBB, I found this Emerson X300 Ultra online for a reasonable price, but most importantly, it had full and correct lasered trademarks.

I purchased it off CombatGearing.com (http://www.combatgearing.com/emerson-x300-ultra-led-tactical-flashlight-p-8937.html?cPath=475_603) for $72, although CG's price varies widely depending on discounts and whatnot (I've seen it as low as $65 last week). Shipping took about 10 days from HK to Texas.

dzxbpTx.jpg

The light comes in possibly the shittiest, flimsiest, most useless plastic case in the world. I almost broke it by putting my coffee mug on top.

4yuf4BI.jpg

Inside is the light...duh.

iWmYavH.jpg

Under the bottom foam comes adapter pieces for wider rail sections, as well as a wider rail locking piece and extra springs.

OczDe0u.jpg

The light itself is BEAUTIFUL. All the trademarks are correct AFAIK, and the light is VERY light - much lighter than my TLR-1's. I have no idea if the RS X300U is this light, but I'm very impressed so far.

GMTTqhr.jpg

The locking mech is pretty sturdy as well. Pull back on the "serrated" levers on the top, then push the front lever from right to left.

v6xPqkP.jpg

zrCarK4.jpg

DAT TRADEMARKS *HNNGH*

0ARgxR7.jpg

Light looks good too. Lens had a small scuff on the side though :(

AWabL6H.jpg

Light does NOT come with batteries (-1). The inside of the battery case is marked with polarities as well.

yeSzhAi.jpg

The biggest surprise: this *fruitcage* is BRIGHT, I would say almost as bright as my TLR-1 HL which is rated at 630 lumens. Since the RS X300U is rated for 500 lumens, I'd guesstimate this one is rated around the same...maybe. The beam is wide yet semi-focused, so illuminating an entire room is very easy.

The biggest complaint though? Both directions of the on/off lever are locking. On most weaponlights, one direction is momentary while the other is constant-on; for this one both directions is constant on. This makes the strobe function (yes, there is a strobe function) an absolute hassle to operate. I haven't taken a look into the rear switch cap yet, but I bet filing something down may fix this. Definitely would not recommend this light as a RS alternative on RS pistols, when decisive operation of a weaponlight is required.

Overall? Amazing light for $70. Great build quality, spot on full trademarks, and very very bright for a cloned light. Definitely would not recommend for RS shooters, but for airsoft? Definitely the best X300 clone out there (which TBH doesn't say much, since this is only 1 of 2-3 X300U clones out there lol).

Some more pics:

9WBwdCc.jpg

Size comparison vs. TLR-1S and TLR-1 HL.

NW2p3dL.jpg

De3nr8T.jpg

Mounted on WE XDM-40.

EDUEISs.jpg

HpV1iow.jpg

Mounted on RS S&W M&P9.

• Like 1

MAJOR EDIT: It seems I was incorrect regarding the switch functioning.

For the TLR-1S, one side's switch is momentary on, while the other side locks for constant on. After watching some videos, for the Surefire X300 the temporary on is activated by PUSHING the sides of the switches. Constant on locks are applicable for both directions of the switch's swing - this is the inherent design of the light.

For the clone, the switch replicates this precisely. Press the switch (either side) for momentary on, press it again for strobe. The switch is flipped in either direction for constant on. So, for all intents and purposes, the switch functions exactly like the RS model.

This is completely my fault, I did not understand the switch function when I first used it. Please disregard that bit in the original post - the light functions as it's supposed to, so it is no longer a con/complaint :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Is that confirmed by someone? 65 USD seems much more acceptable than 90+...

The PX Airsoft one IS NOT the same as the OP's one. The one PX stock is different, the mounting hardware is different in appearance, the torch lens is also difference (plain glass compared to have the centre part frosted). Biggest downside is no strobe :(

Check on aliexpress.com

search "X300U"

Got my full trade X300 from Aliexpress for roughly $45 shipped. Would've picked up the Ultra instead if they were out :(

Go get yourself a DG switch from Surefire. Found one on ebay for $30 used. Pretty sweet

IMG_7739_zpseb971f4d.jpg

The PX Airsoft one IS NOT the same as the OP's one. The one PX stock is different, the mounting hardware is different in appearance, the torch lens is also difference (plain glass compared to have the centre part frosted). Biggest downside is no strobe :(

Thank you!

Why are we mixing reviews of two different brands in the same thread ? :o

I got my Emerson X300 Ultra today.

Managed to break it within 5 minutes.

I had some sort of sticky/oily residue on the front of the light housing, so I tried unscrewing the front so I could clean it off easier.

Well the wiring inside was kinda so-so and when I went to screw it back together the wires just broke clean off on one end.

Now, it is my own fault for two reasons. 1) Unscrewing the light housing, not recommended. and 2) Not taking care to reverse rotate the light housing so the cables would not overtwist when screwing the housing back in again, I did try though, obviously not hard enough.

I didn't even think that the housing front cap and wiring/PCB would be connected like this causing this problem. Seems odd.

Nothing some new wires and a few minutes with a soldering iron can't fix, but I was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK... :P

Also I have no batteries for it yet, fresh out of CR123A :P

But yeah, it looks and feels nice enough for sure. I mainly got it for looks. In hindsight I probably could of done with a cheaper version, this came in at just about 100 USD with shipping from Combatgearing website.

Not a fan of the lock and unlock mechanism for the rail attachment for the 1913 rail. Da fuq sliding the while locking rod out to one side ? The M3 light is much better IMO, just press down on either side and pop it on/off. But whatever.

I will update once I get batteries and put this thing back together :|

Edited by NonEx

Ha.  I nearly did the same thing.  Got a 300U last week and started checking it out, unscrewed the front and saw the dodgy wiring.  Carefully screwed it back on and thought to myself I won't be opening that up again unless it goes wrong heh.

• Like 2

Why are we mixing reviews of two different brands in the same thread ? :o...

For one thing it helps to break down the dubious Chinese knockoff branding:  PX doesn't list a manufacturer for theirs.  Boomarms' is simply labeled ACM, and JK Army's is MIC Cross.  It's unlikely that four different factories started making trademarked X300 Ultra clones at the same time.  

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

OK there's a bit of an update I had to address on this review:

The switch is ABSOLUTE *suitcase*.

On BOTH my X300U's, after about a month of use, the switches would refuse to bright up at 100% brightness, no matter how hard I pressed the momentary-on switch. I found later the metal used for the switch assembly is really low quality, and their travel distance (how much it travels when you press the switch) in order to complete the circuit to turn on the light varies heavily between light and light (even side to side). I really want to buy replacement Surefire switches, but in the meantime I had to add small nubs of solder spacer inbetween the switch and the switch membrane to make them work.

I can put up more detailed pictures if anyone wants, but for now, I'd say hold off on buying it, unless 1. you can get it at a steal, or 2. you're willing to work/tinker with the switch.

OK there's a bit of an update I had to address on this review:

The switch is ABSOLUTE *suitcase*.

On BOTH my X300U's, after about a month of use, the switches would refuse to bright up at 100% brightness, no matter how hard I pressed the momentary-on switch. I found later the metal used for the switch assembly is really low quality, and their travel distance (how much it travels when you press the switch) in order to complete the circuit to turn on the light varies heavily between light and light (even side to side). I really want to buy replacement Surefire switches, but in the meantime I had to add small nubs of solder spacer inbetween the switch and the switch membrane to make them work.

I can put up more detailed pictures if anyone wants, but for now, I'd say hold off on buying it, unless 1. you can get it at a steal, or 2. you're willing to work/tinker with the ###### switch.

Please do post pics!

It happens on the x300 copies too, though I dunno if they're Emerson or AABB brands (or if they come from the same OEM).  My x300 had issues out of the box, one side lights up 50%, the other 100%.  Also the 50% side requires me to push the button all the way in to make the light turn on.

Had to buy a Fire Krylin switch to solve the issue but the FK switch has problems of it's own since it's slightly offspec to the ACM X300.