Need some recommendations for a new sidearm

bulmedius

Nothing to rival FK's 1911 collection though. XD

I only have 5 at the moment oddly enough :P.

When I am back playing proper airsoft and not whatever the hell they play up here I will be buying more though ;)

Though that does remind me to try out a Mk.23 at some point. Have never really 'fielded' one as it were.

'FireKnife'

Pfft, it's got a 40lb pull!

Dove round a corner for the first time with one, had the drop on someone - Took me about 5 seconds to realise I wasn't actually shooting the damn thing. Terribly long pull, and long reset. 0/10 would not fire again

PowerGrip.jpg

I find the Mk23 trigger a nightmare too... and I have manly hands (that's what she said...). I found the answer to be thumbing the hammer, to reduce the mind numbing wait while the trigger breaks. I can see that being somewhat impractical in CQB though.

For sheer skirmishability... I'm always going to say "TM Hicapa". Out of the box, hop set for .28 and you're good for 60m of pistol hilarity. Minor, and easy upgrades (barrel, hop rubber, and mag routers) and you're about as good as any skirmisher can ever need to be. The only downside being they're so good... You use them more than your primary, and a couple of spare mags is never enough :P.

Fair enough, they're not a Combat pistol, and won't complete a loadout or anything like that. But for hitting another player with a bb... I find them very difficult to beat.

I found the answer to be thumbing the hammer,

I so need to make this an innuendo for something.

But to me it will always be the 1911. The Hi-Capa is just too bulky for me, plus I have slender hands (they have other uses).

I always say go with the pistol that fits your hand, took me ages to work out that was a 1911.

'FireKnife'

I so need to make this an innuendo for something.

But to me it will always be the 1911. The Hi-Capa is just too bulky for me, plus I have slender hands (they have other uses).

I always say go with the pistol that fits your hand, took me ages to work out that was a 1911.

'FireKnife'

Handily raising a point I was just thinking about though... It took you ages to find a 1911 was for you. All the while trying other pistols, and using them in game. I'd question how much of a factor ergonomics is for a "first pistol".

Very, very few skirmishers in the UK will have previous pistol shooting experience, so whatever they buy will need to be 'learned'. Refining that, is something for later down the players path.

Whilst I agree, the 1911 is more comfortable to shoot. It compromises the gas capacity of the mag, for obvious reasons. At your level of play... It's worth it. For someone new to the game, it's a compromise.

I worry slightly my point may require an essay to explain properly... :P

Well in some cases your first choice works out, sometimes it doesn't but I see what you mean.

I find it goes for a lot of things though, the car you drive, the food you eat, the games you play, the films you watch etc just with a pistol you are not going to have much chance for previous experience.

And very true the 1911 can be a finicky bugger that takes getting used to in airsoft form but as with the real gun it just works for some and given it's shortcomings some still find it the best for them.

I must admit though I clearly didn't learn. My first TM 1911 was about pistol number 15-20 or so. I still end up buying and selling so many of them on. Now that the Series 70 exist I have my perfect gun.

That raises the point that sometimes it might not just be what works for you but also when it is actually released. For me I had to wait until something like 2011 until my perfect pistol came out. I also thought I would like the M&P but after getting a grip on the WE the grip face just doesn't work for me.

Clearly as with many things it takes me a while to find what is right (that excuse sadly doesn't work for women, I am just a dodgy sod in that regard ;)). Others I know have still got the first pistol they bought as it just works for them.

'FireKnife'

Again, agree on all points... But you're a pistol shooter. I'm fairly sure that the majority of available pistols, are perfectly fine for the majority of users. Let's be honest, most pistols stay in a holster, and are very much a secondary. Or used in CQB where ranges are short, and hop less of a factor. Anything that flings a bb 20m in a straight line is good to go.

I've seen guys at my club get most of what's available out there. Much of it is far more comfortable, beautifully realistic and full metal etc etc... But sold because a stock 'Capa outranges them (and they buy a 'Capa). This doesn't suddenly mean they're a death dealing pistolero... But at least they can't blame the gun.

I know, I am not speaking for the masses :P.

But I do think that all people should have a chance to go round and get a grab on the pistol that fits them. I see what you mean by it not being a big deal but once you find a shape you like it is easier to fit to that but as you said people will pick a Hi-Capa as it works but if a M9A1 fits a person better in the hand from the start you would be suprised the difference it makes.

Perhaps I am just too used to pistols though. Everyone I pick up I just get a feel for and then within seconds I know if it fits me, oddly enough I have had some weird ones that fit my hand well but sadly as with many things in airsoft said GBB would not be a reliable or skirmishable option even within that 20m.

Though I still don't get people that just think of a pistol as useless. That is one that will forever make me laugh, mostly after I have managed to shoot said person out with a pistol :D.

'FireKnife'

Archived