Need some recommendations for a new sidearm

bulmedius

I've had a KJW M92 for a few years now and I've decided to finally replace it because the wear and tear is starting to show. I'm looking for something in the KJW/WE price range. I don't feel like dishing out the money for a TM/KSC/KWA because I don't play regularly. Reliability is the main thing I'm looking for (especially the mags and of course relative to my budget) and the accuracy/range is not too big a deal as long as it shoots in a straight line. I'd prefer pistol with double stack mags but I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

From experience, the WE/HK3P Glock 17's are excellent bang for buck sidearms. Hwagan's one has been performing brilliantly, even on the CO2 mags it's not destroyed anything. My one on black gas is absolutely mental! Just don't use it on black gas in the summer! They shoot great and the HK3P ones have decent-ish trades.

Just remember to keep the mags filled with gas otherwise they could spring a leak.

I echo what Wild_XIII says - I could never buy a TM Glock 17 after the Hk3 one.

The price of a TM in the UK is £120+, whereas my HK3 version cost me £75 shipped - Fully TM compatible, runs like a freight train on Co2 mags all year round, and even on the green gas mags the efficiency is remarkable for a metal slided pistol.

I've run mine for thousands of rounds so far and it's still shooting like new - With an AIP hop rubber, it out-shoots a stock TM as far as range and accuracy is concerned, it's a nice snappy cycle and the frame is much nicer polymer than the TM stuff.

The only reported issues I've seen have been broken outer barrels, but even then I haven't read a lot of reports on that occuring - Plus, a new outer barrel is $15-20 or so. 

At that price you would get a lot of 'get WE it will be fine', 'no get KJ they are better' etc.

To my mind if it is just a small blatter that will be there when you need it then any of the new model WEs or KJs would be fine and it would be down to what fits your hand better.

'FireKnife'

At that price you would get a lot of 'get WE it will be fine', 'no get KJ they are better' etc.

To my mind if it is just a small blatter that will be there when you need it then any of the new model WEs or KJs would be fine and it would be down to what fits your hand better.

'FireKnife'

Pretty much what he said, but there are still some bad WE's - I'd say it goes roughly like this:

DO:

WE/HK3 G17, G19, G26, G34 - Any of the non full auto versions

WE/HK3 Sig P226, 228 or 229

WE/HK3 PX4

Possibly the new version of the WE M9/M9A1 - The one they've released in the nice plastic clear box with the TM cloned adjustable hop.

KJ Works - They're all pretty decent to be fair, although the gas efficiency in the 1911's is appalling without Co2.

DON'T:

WE/HK3 XDM, 1911, 2011, Old version M9/M9A1's - Full auto glocks aren't bad as such, but they have a habit of breaking nozzles. They can be modded and tweaked to get going reliably, but hassle.

That is a point, don't get the KJ 1911.

They basically decided that after seeing a TM with a light plastic slide take all the gas to empty a mag they could do that on a heavy metal slide and clearly it doesn't work when using conventional GIM.

However the 2011 WE models are best avoided too as said and even 1911s in general unless going for a TM. Having tried many a 1911 it seems that without CO2 TM really is the only way to go (bar expensive WAs).

'FireKnife'

I wouldn't recommend an XDM or M&P. I've seen too many M&P's fail due to the blowback housing wearing down the sears causing it to fail. This happens in a few hundred rounds! Also my XDM's hammer decided to disintegrate so I was put off by that as well. Shame as I actually like the ergonomics on the XDM.

My we xdm compact has been a steamtrain of a gun . No issues as of yet . Coming up for a year old now . Also it is 1 on 1 size with the reL steel . I use a fobus and a Springfield rs holsters for it . Mightily impressed to date with it . Another bonus is that the compacts come with 2 mags included . 1 short , 1 long . For the money it is a good buy . 100 quid new .the we glocks , new gen are awesome guns .

TM Mk23, I think Ben from AI summed it up quite well while we were discussing sidearms.

"Looks and feels like a water pistol, shoots like an intercontinental ballistic missile"

Absolutely massive and not a fan of the plastic but boy is it quiet and amusing when you're hitting people at extreme range.

Do need to grab a KWA version down the line too...

But my real love is the Sig P226, they just fit my hand right (original version), so much so that I've got a TM/Guarder Navy and a knackered TM/G railed (one long project) and looking into a stock one when I have the finances. Nothing to rival FK's 1911 collection though. XD

Archived