King Arms C02 Colt Python

With the release of the King Arms Colt Python, I can finally lay to rest one of my biggest complaints about airsoft guns. That being the lack of a good looking, skirmishable, full metal revolver. Yes, the various WinGun models have always existed, but their terrible unrealistic looks have always killed them for me. Worse still, WinGuns propensity for slapping names like Dan Wesson and such on models that have nothing to do with that companies actual products is almost insulting (Like the newer one being touted as a S&W M36 yet shares no features of the M36, not even the 5 round cylinder). However, Now theres another option.

The Colt Python by King Arms has a fully aluminum (Or an alloy thereof) body, with no plastic, that I have yet to find, anywhere on the gun. Even the grips are rubber rather then plastic. I'll give my inital impressions as well as post a few pictures.

post-80387-0-55147200-1391185714_thumb.jpg

Initally I'm impressed by the build quality of the gun. It feels very sturdy and well constructed, with one exception that I'll go into a bit later. The finish is quite nice, seemingly anodized, though I would have preferred if they had went with a nice glossy black, more fitting of a colt python. Though matte black models did exist they were so uncommon its not worth talking about. I might see about giving it a good airbrushing of high gloss clearcoat and buffing it up.

post-80387-0-14471600-1391185779_thumb.jpg

Notice that the shape of the gun is actually correct this time around. King Arms didn't take the same liberties with the look that WinGun does, and aside from having a slightly longer grip to fit the c02 capsule, the frame of the gun is true to the real deal.

post-80387-0-62577700-1391185922_thumb.jpg

Above you see the screw-in cap for tightening in the c02 capsule. The allen key needed to use it however is not included with the gun. so I used a quarter and a pair of pliers to tighten it in, as I didnt have quite the right size allen key lying around.

post-80387-0-25608800-1391186059_thumb.jpg

engravings on the right side of the barrel are correct to the real deal as well. There is actually no mention of anything airsoft related on the gun. No 6mm markings, no unnecessary "Do not fire into eye" warnings.

post-80387-0-08822700-1391186166_thumb.jpg

There is however, a small safety switch behind the hammer. pushing it forward will block the hammer from moving. While I would have preferred if they didn't add an unnecessary safety to a gun which realistically cannot accidentally go off with the hammer down, at least its out of the way and not obtrusive.

post-80387-0-34387200-1391186286_thumb.jpg

Above you can see a shot down the barrel. And what luck, Theres a french fry stuck in my beard, there is actually a hopup on this model! It is, however, a fixed hopup. But in either case its great that someone finally remembered to put a hopup on one of these things. I havent gotten to use it at a field yet, so im not sure what weight of BB's it eats the best, But Ill let everyone know once I do.

post-80387-0-31133600-1391186432_thumb.jpg

You can see here that the system differs significantly from the WinGun system. As there is no vertically mounted mainspring for the hammer. In this way it is likely more similar to the system used in the Gletcher Nagant revolvers, where the hammer is given tension by a torsion spring. You can also see why the grip had to be made slightly longer. Thie grips are essentially my only gripe so far, as they are rubber. That means the "pegs" that hold them onto the body are kinda mushy, and the two halve have a tendency to separate. I think a dab of hot glue will fix that, however.

post-80387-0-31345900-1391186677_thumb.jpg

The shells are similar to WinGun shells, however as far as I can tell, they are not compatible and are proprietary. Hopefully more will be available for purchase soon.

In the testing I was able to do so far, I got very acceptable chrono readings. After inserting a fresh c02 capsule, the first 2 shots hit 370 fps. a little bit high. Subsequently however, the third shot was 357 fps, and it remained in the 350 range for the duration of the test. I got tired of reloading the shells constantly so I fired about 30 shots. All of which stayed in the 350 range except for the first two at 370, and two others which registered in the high 330's. So the consistency seems to be very good.

Now, removing the capsule was a different story. I dont know if it was just the c02 manufacturer, but the capsule got stuck in the gun. After discharging the rest of the c02, I had to take the grips off and force the c02 capsule out. So I suppose I might need to do a little fitting on the insertion valve.

post-80387-0-29531300-1391187124_thumb.jpg

Overall, initial impressions of this gun are high. some slight issue with the c02 fitting tightly but that can be worked around. Given the cost of roughly 120 USD, the inclusion of a hopup, the fieldable fps, and the great looks, there would seem to no longer be any reason for anyone to buy a WinGun revolver anymore, save perhaps for availability. I can only hope in the future we no longer have to look at those disgusting "Dan Wesson" WinGuns that look nothing like anything Dan Wesson ever produced.

• Like 1

What always steered me away from TM revolvers were the very light weight, and the very low velocity. Ill admit that some of the Heavy weight plastic models from marushin and other companies do feel very nice to me and I can live with them. But even those have unskirmishable velocities in the mid 200's.

This one at least has the 350 fps velocity needed to play indoor around here. I would imagine that by cutting down the inner barrel, that could be reduced further if necessary.

I need one of these, pronto. So far no other retailer other than Airsoft Gi has stocked them that I could find....

Forgot to ask, is the front sight moulded in or are the two pins removeable? Also a bit far fetched but does it look possible to switch the front with RS sights?

Edited by kenxin

While I would have preferred if they didn't add an unnecessary safety to a gun which realistically cannot accidentally go off with the hammer down, at least its out of the way and not obtrusive.

That still depends. On most DA revolvers though, and even stretching to airsoft replicas, there is a hammer block safety actuated by the trigger. But some rely on a simple bounding hammer meaning you drop that sucker hammer first or hit it accidentally even when down, it will fire. Best consult the exploded diagram, if it came with one. As for the manual safety, it looks to be the same design as TMs and can be accidentally put on safe by the retaining strap of a holster. On that you can replace the switch with a piece of plastic that fills the entire slot so it won't move and smooth on top (no burr) to conceal it.

I'm really liking it overall, especially the price, but I'm not too keen on CO2. Doubtless it will sell very well (as bad as that may be as that means more money for Cybergun) and hopefully it will mean more models in the future. If they make a Smith, they have my money. On the Marushins though, best keep to their 8mm .44 models as those are the known powerhouses doing easy 300s with .34g; unskirmishable for many on the higher end of the spectrum. The new 6mm versions coming out though are somehow restricted having the same fps but measured with .20g.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice that the shape of the gun is actually correct this time around. King Arms didn't take the same liberties with the look that WinGun does, and aside from having a slightly longer grip to fit the c02 capsule, the frame of the gun is true to the real deal.

how much larger is the grip compared to a RS one? Ideally I would like to fit some RS wood grips if I were to pick one up. 

how much larger is the grip compared to a RS one? Ideally I would like to fit some RS wood grips if I were to pick one up. 

Due to the shape of the frame under the grip, you are not likely to be able to fit real grips. Real grips are shorter and would need to have material removed from the inside in order to fit the round area for the capsule. And they would still be about a quarter inch too short.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so there are some issues that cropped up. While my initial impressions were really good on this, I can no longer suggest buying one.

With very, very little use (I havent even fielded it), the cylinder stop seems to have stopped functioning, and the cylinder no longer times itself to the hammer. It just skips cartridges and does whatever the hell it wants.

Im going to see if I can fix it but unless King Arms or whoever makes this thing fixes this issue on the newer ones, its unusable. Maybe that was why there were so few in the first run. Hopefully they know about it and were fixing the problem.

• 4 months later...

Teeny tiny bit of a necro post here, but does anyone know if this cylinder timing problem was an isolated issue or if they're all naff?

Can't find any info on them or the Cybergun ones selling in the UK.

Cheers!

JD Airsoft were selling them at the Fireball Weekender. They're a trifle hot for the UK but the Dan Wesson powerdown shells do fit. Can't say what they chrono at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm afraid you might be out of luck, assuming you have the same version and not the kwc, I don't think spare shells for them were ever distributed.

Hell, the guns themselves didn't seem to have more then one very short production run. Probably because they all broke after a few days.

Edited by Brigg

I'm afraid you might be out of luck, assuming you have the same version and not the kwc, I don't think spare shells for them were ever distributed.

Hell, the guns themselves didn't seem to have more then one very short production run. Probably because they all broke after a few days.

It is the same version as yours Brigg. The gun itself is in plentiful supply here in UK marketed as Cybergun Colt Phyton but yeah the shells are nowhere to be found. Place I bought it from did say they are trying to get them in soon'ish.  So far mine has seen little use and is holding up pretty well, fingers crossed it stays that way.