ICS-style forward assist in G&P M4

Krydel

I was wondering the other day whether it is possible to make something akin to the ICS + G&G forward assists whereby they release the spring tension when you press them. I understand this would require having to make a lever that reaches the anti-reversal latch, but past that I'm pretty clueless.

Has anybody done this? Can you just buy an ICS lever and go from there/modify it somehow?

Thanks!

I can't see a practical or cost effective method of making it work; You'd need to make space in the upper and lower receivers for a lever, which would almost certainly need to contain at least two different moving joints.. It'd be like trying to turn a car into a motorbike, you might as well just buy the bike. 

As with everything Airsoft, it's probably doable if you're willing to spend many hours and potentially wreck a gun for it, but it'd be a huge hassle.

The ICS forward assist is basically a plunger that is attached to a sliding bar inside the upper receiver that has an extension to catch the arm of the ICS reversal latch...it's a functional but somewhat flimsy system (in part due to the pot metal the ARL extension is made from and small contact area) which is why ICS are due to be implementing a WE style spring release on safe set up.

You would have to drill a hole or a rounded rectangular shape towards the tail end of the tappet 'shelf' on the non selector side of the gearbox to install and ICS ARL. You'd then need to examine how you would get a push through mechanism running from the forward assist to ARL arm if you really wanted to do such a thing.

Alternative just use a computerised FET with cycle completion where the old fashioned 'one or two shots in semi to relieve spring tension' method works.

Archived