Help me, Nerds of arnies, you're my only hope...

shmook

Hi,

I could do with some help please regarding a new laptop...

It's for my mother, who is about as tech-savvy as I am, but she needs a computer now, as she's on her own, and uses the Internet for shopping and such things.

She has asked me to find her a small laptop, around 10-14 inch screen, that will do the usual stuff - Internet and wifi really. Doesn't need webcams, card readers, bluetooth, any bells and whistles, and wants to really spend a max of £400, but less if possible.

I have no idea about brands, are they basically all the same now? Ie asus, acer etc, or should I be looking at a brand in particular?

I've not been keen on dell, as a couple have had issues in the first year, such as trackpads failing, and they'd seemed full of bloatware too iirc, but if they are decent I shall gladly take advice!

Battery life isn't a mega issue, it won't really be moved around, but size/weight is more important as it will be on her knee a bit.

OS wise, it will need to be windows based, as that's what she's used to, so macs are out (never mind the price of the bloody things...)

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings,

Shmook

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had good experience with ASUS. they make every kind of computer from cheapos to full tilt gaming rigs and have very little bloatware (not that you cant install/uninstall whatever you want, it is a PC and not like an android phone or anything). 

the only computer in my house (other than my own, which has an ASUS motherboard) that has run into the least problems is my fathers cheap ASUS laptop from 4 years ago. he uses it in the same capacity your mom is looking for...

...but for manly stuff like cars and guns and not dresses and frilly things. im not sure how ASUS computers like womanly subjects XD

Would windows 8 be a problem?

Tbh if its for internet / old people use and you dont have any specific needs, i would say aim around the 250 mark and look for deals on places like ebuyer. Then just google the exact model for reviews or possible problems.

I bought a netbook 4~5 years ago for 200 and its still good for internet and videos ect.

A good deal to look out for is unused buissness stock, it might not be boxed or anything, but it would be new. The only difference is it was meant for buissness's and not retail.

did the same thing for my mother. windows 8 is fine (all os are fine unless you are a bit geeky) wouldn't' bother with a netbook made that mistake before - get a light laptop or notebook(???)  I'd go cheap as possible and get a good anti virus and firewall.

mums won't care about bloatware either

Thanks guys!

I think a netbook would be too small (I know a 10 inch laptop is almost the same, but mum didn't like the netbook dad had...). I forgot to ask where is best to buy from, so thanks for the buyer mention.

Windows 8 shouldn't be an issue, she has xp at work, but that's not supported any more, is it?

Horse, thanks for the asus mention. It may indeed blow up as she doesn't really do cars and guns, but I suppose I could browse those on it from time to time to keep it happy :)

As for bloatware, I know you can add and remove at will, but the less on to begin with, the better!

Edit, cheers skarclaw, didn't see your reply as I was typing!

oh, i forgot to touch on the OS as Ace mentioned.

in my experience, if you aren't running a touch screen, its best to not have windows 8. the only thing is that any new computer you buy now will have windows 8 even though it was primarily designed for touch controls.

i recommend windows 7 as you can downgrade to it freely from windows 8 (W8 pro and up, so buy a computer with W8 Pro or better) and its very little hassle after a few admin adjustments. you just need to acquire a windows 7 install disk from someone.

a touch screen will usually run a $100 premium over non touch screen models of the same computers (at least in HPs)

Cheers horseman

Found a Packard bell notebook with touchscreen actually for £270 at currys, with windows 8, but that was before I started this thread.

She has a crappy android tablet now, so is fine with touchscreen, but would much rather have a true keyboard, laptop styleee!

oh, i forgot to touch on the OS as Ace mentioned.

in my experience, if you aren't running a touch screen, its best to not have windows 8. the only thing is that any new computer you buy now will have windows 8 even though it was primarily designed for touch controls.

i recommend windows 7 as you can downgrade to it freely from windows 8 (W8 pro and up, so buy a computer with W8 Pro or better) and its very little hassle after a few admin adjustments. you just need to acquire a windows 7 install disk from someone.

are you a mum? srsly admin adjustments???

My mum would rather use a pen and paper if she could...

As for admin adjustments, that's not really my game either. My method of adjustment usually involves a hammer and some swear words...

Edit, she won't be used to 8, but she will learn!

So you're saying a laptop, with windows 8/pro, and a touchscreen?

If you are worried about Windows 8 etc.

Get Windows 8.

Download Classic Shell.

Set it to XP style menu and to lock out the pathetic icons subpage thing.

Right click on a single .jpg, .mp3, .mp4 and other common media files and choose them to open with the classic programs like Media Player or download something like VLC and open them all with that.

Takes all of 5 mins, anybody can do it and removes some of the inherent issue changes that 8 has over 7 while making it still rather user friendly.

Also XP is still supported, for now and only just :P.

'FireKnife'

It will still function closer to 7 than XP but it can be resolved.

If you want I can draw up a XP installation guide and a copy of XP for you? I have to do it every bloody week for work :P.

Or if you are sticking with 8 (probably best) I can give a write up on that too as I can just use screen grabs of how my mates is set up.

If I can explain it to some of the troglodytes here then I am sure your Mum or yourself would find it a breeze.

'FireKnife'

just a little wishful thinking....

my mum is in IT...

fair enough! my mum is a teacher whos been forced to adapt to the new age. Quite stressful for her really. On a lighter, somewhat more patronising note, she onced tried to send an email to Mr 'NAME'. 

Still not as funny as when my granny came through with a screw driver and a vhs cassette with the spool of tape ripped out "I can't open up the video my friend gave me!" 

It will still function closer to 7 than XP but it can be resolved.

If you want I can draw up a XP installation guide and a copy of XP for you? I have to do it every bloody week for work :P.

Or if you are sticking with 8 (probably best) I can give a write up on that too as I can just use screen grabs of how my mates is set up.

If I can explain it to some of the troglodytes here then I am sure your Mum or yourself would find it a breeze.

'FireKnife'

Cheers!

Will stick with 8, progress will be good for her, even if I need a sharpened stick for persuasion...

...with windows 8/pro...

you do not have to worry about getting Pro if you do not plan to downgrade to windows 7. the only other features pro and up versions of windows give users is some extra permissions for power users and support for more than a few gigs of ram. 

well, its more complicated than that, but its nothing you have to worry about. unless your mum is a closet 3D modeler.

You could get a used reconditioned Lenovo X200 for under 200 quid and they are tough as old boots, 12.1 inch screen and all the parts are available.

Your 400 budget will stretch to a used X220 which is an awesome laptop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-7-IBM-Lenovo-X220-Laptop-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-4Gb-Ram-Warranty-Office-/231076286518?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item35cd385036

I think buying new is fairly daft.

If you hadn't specifically said it has to be Windows I would also recommend Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I recently put it on a used X200 for 125 quid (cheaper because no OS came with it) and my wife's 60+ computer newb colleague is using it now with no problems.

No software costs ever.

No virus problems.

If she really is only using it for web then the browsers are the same.

Used X series.

Can't beat it.

Archived