Help me, Nerds of arnies, you're my only hope...

shmook

Though I personally would not buy from PC World. From my experience they are the Zero One of computers. Fine to buy from but the second you ask a question or raise an issue they don't want to know.

Simple solution - Don't *fruitcage* it up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple solution - Don't *fruitcage* it up.

I used to be suprised at how much people would mess up a computer but after two years of working where I am now I have realised that some people just can't help themselves. They either think they know better or just don't understand that behind everything you do online there is a hidden agenda (and I mean everything).

But I doubt shmook or his Mum will cause such issues are readily as some of the people I work with :P. So long as you have a good anti-virus and know what you are doing all is usually well. Also back everything up and take the 5-10mins it takes to learn reinstallation and driver installation if worst comes to the worst and you do get an internal virus just wipe the machine and start again. Few viruses attach to and attack personal files, more going for the machine itself.

'FireKnife'

Yep, I have no issues with backing up, but there will be nothing on it to back up!

She doesn't bother with pics, files etc, it will purely be for Internet use, so wiping it and starting again ain't a problem if it comes to that.

While on that, what's a good antivirus to use now?

Ah, so in that case you would just need the driver files and maybe back up the favourites? In that case an Acer or ASUS would be good due to the ease of driver coverage too.

I personally use AVG Free as it is a free home system that doesn't strangle my system too much. This however is personal experience and I know that others have found other successful ones. Just don't use McAfee or Norton.

If you do go down the AVG route then just make sure to click the FREE option, so many people miss it and hit the trial instead.

'FireKnife'

Personal home computer Kaspersky is fine.

However server version for multiple users is a sod to work with.

Thankfully that isn't an issue here though.

Saying that too many comupters came with lots of rubbish pre-loaded to them now and often removing the Norton / McAfee trials on them is a pain.

'FireKnife'

Sadly bloatware is everywhere.

Even the spare PCs we buy in for Engineering crews need about 30mins to take all the fluff off first. HP go one step further and have a lock out set up that means we had to wipe them back to basics.

'FireKnife'

When you say new-ish, how new scorch?

The towers we have come with this silly thing that basically replaces setting it up normally and is full of boxes that don't work and other issues, some sort of 'smart set-up' that even non-computer savvy people would hate.

Thankfully for myself a wipe of the system is needed for work anyway. Plus the massive amount of licenses and recovery disks I have lying about makes it easy to set them up with whatever I want.

'FireKnife'

Ah, different to what we have then by a fair bit.

Still these PCs we have are a nightmare. Personally given the chance I would stick to Acer or ASUS but they just don't offer the same business rates at work etc.

'FireKnife'

Archived