Random Customs / Tax question regarding returns

Vice

Hi All,

Basic google searches letting me down here.

Basically I want to know what happens if you need to return items outside of the EU after you pay tax on them.

For example I buy something, get taxed.  That item stops working, I send it back for repair - do I then get taxed again when it is returned to me?

Are there mechanisms to prevent this?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Also interested in this, also what if you send something overseas for custom work. How do you avoiding paying tax on the item as a whole and not the work that has been done.

Is it as I suspect pay it, then write in with proof of the facts and claim it back?

When it leaves the country you need to make sure the paperwork notes it's leaving for a warranty or repair and when it comes back the sender should reference that paperwork and further note the value is for carriage only and not a purchase.

That's right.

If you include a copy of the original invoive and put:

"faulty product returned for repair"

on the package then have the person repairing it include an invoice for the repair and put "returning warranty repaired product" on the packaging then you will only need to pay:

Duty on the cost of the repair and VAT and duty on the cost of the repair plus the cost of the return postage.

Most of the time you get away with the latter.

Archived