Marushin FN Five-Seven CO2: first impressions

Just got it in.  Pretty nice so far.  Feels solid, and good heft from the heavy magazine.

CO2 doesn't seem to be over-hot: the valve may be trimmed to throttle it down.

First dozen shots, pretty accurate.  Rear sight adjustable for windage and height.

It has an adjustable hop-up.  The tiny, serrated-edge wheel is very stiff and hard to get to with the barrel assembly in the slide.  The inside of the bucking has two small ears rather than just a bump.

Trades seem fine.

The long, thin grip feels fine in my hand; YMMV.

Photos in due course.

I'll try and answer any questions.

• Like 1

Does the plastic feel cheap or flimsy?

Did you own a TM 5-7, and if you did, how would you compare the quality of the build and whatnot?

Is the outer barrel threaded for a 12mm adapter?

I'd ask about reliability/longevity, but that's moot considering you just got it lol.

• Like 1

I read a few "reviews" on ASGI and was concerned about the plastic, but frankly, it feels fine to me.  There is reinforcement inside, as well.  It feels like the kind of plastic that has a little flex to it (i.e. the opposite of brittle).  Time will tell.

Unfortunately, no, never owned a TM.  The CO2 was appealing to me, this time around.

The outer barrel is a bit of a bust.  The design is quite different to TM and TM clones.  There is no way any threading or silencer is going on there.

The inner barrel is clamped firmly inside the hop-up unit. This feels very solid.  The size/heft of the hop-up is not unlike TM, but the design is a bit different.  If TM puts their adjuster wheel vertically, Marushin has put the wheel horizontally, so just the edge projects from the side of the unit on each side.  The edge is knurled to enable you to turn it.

A small, rather fake-looking, silver outer barrel slides on to the inner barrel and then mates with a hollow in the front of the hop-up unit.  There is no tilting involved.

At the front, a small orange plastic part is glued over the last 1/4" of the "outer barrel".  Then there is a simple sprung circle clip in a depression, right at the muzzle.  I'm still working out exactly what this does.

Yep, the 5.7 pistol is a straight blowback with the only delay being the case being crazy long. How hard does it recoil? I'm sure you already know that this was the downfall of TM: stock recoil too severe that even 134a will kill it on a hot day. And this thing is packing CO2. Could you take pics under the slide and the hammer assembly? Would be interesting to compare with the older gas versions assuming they changed some things.

The recoil is actually quite moderate.  Double taps seem to be no problem.  I surmise that part of this has to do with how much CO2 is used for each shot.  But in addition, the recoil spring that fits over the outer barrel is relatively week.  The slide recoils fine.  But I notice when the slide locks back when the magazine is empty, and you release it, it goes forward fine, but it doesn't really snap forward with any kind of jolt.  So there's not that much energy being stored by the compressed spring.  I'm guessing that it was designed that way so it doesn't shake itself apart.

Hop-up with inner barrel; outer barrel (and spring clip) that fits over inner; recoil spring that fits over outer.

IMG_2796_zps21662180.jpg

Hop-up with adjustment wheel

IMG_2797_zpse856f2bb.jpg

BBU and underside of rear of slide

IMG_2798_zps90ff21b9.jpg

Underside of front of slide

IMG_2799_zps308d2e2f.jpg

Firing mechanism and rear of frame

IMG_2800_zps6421ce7d.jpg

Front of frame

IMG_2801_zps9b6afdb3.jpg

Magazine

IMG_2802_zpsfb030553.jpg

Edited by mimesis
  • Like 1

Got a chance to hold one of these without the magazine in it. It was like holding a spring pistol. I couldn't believe how light it was.

I did like the new sights. However, I'm really concerned how it is going to hold up to co2. Was hoping for a little more from this pistol as I've really been disappointed with my 2 Tokyo Marui's. Mag catch is starting to wear out (yes I know how to fix it but I shouldn't have to) and my slide stop wont hold the slide back without the magazine in the pistol. Remove the magazine and the slightest bump to the pistol and the slide goes back into battery. Both pistols have never been shot with anything other than duster-ever! 2 pistols and 3 spare mags for each..now just sitting in their boxes.

I'm really waiting for more owner results before I put down any funds on this. Hope it works out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far so good... until today.

Had the barrel out of the slide for lube and adjustment.  On re-installing, a part of the small white plastic bushing broke off.  This is a thin bushing that fits into the hole for the barrel from inside the slide, and, obviously, keeps the barrel centered and sliding smoothly.  The bushing has two flanges--it fits into the slide hole, but doesn't go all the way through.  Half of one of the flanges broke off.  The superglue is currently curing.  Frankly, the part is not well designed, too thin, and clearly not made of a resilient enough plastic.  Reminds me of the loading ramps in KSC Glocks.  We'll see how it does when reinstalled.

EDIT: Take a look at post #5 above, 4th photo down.  It's clearly visible, though badly out of focus, and apparently already cracked when I took that photo.  So it wasn't the spring hitting it that broke it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Judging from the look of those outer barrel pictures... this isn't compatible is it? http://www.airsplat.com/Items/UPE-TM-FN57-10.htm

Interested in a 5-7, especially the co2 part.... but I would like to put a threaded barrel on it. If not how thick is the outer barrel it comes with? maybe I can thread it.

Nevermind, upon youtubing a bit and such I found the outer barrel is most definitely different from the TM outer... Oh well, maybe someone will make one, or I can have my friend C&C me one. Anyway... Anyone ever find replacement parts for these? I was worrying about what happens when things start breaking... I can't find spare parts anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who've bought one of these Evike has some OEM Marushin spares available now, not a big range but given how uncommon Marushin spares are it's good to see some for sale.

http://www.evike.com/search/?search_in_description=1&sort=3a&keywords=marushin+5-7&x=0&y=0

• 11 months later...

Been looking at this for a while now and sins it been out for some time, does anyone have any problems with theirs? Anything I should know, is it worth the money? I saw they will be releasing it with tan frame soon and thinking about picking one up.

• 4 weeks later...

I just took another look at this recently.  Generally, it's fine.

The barrel bushing continues to bug me.  It's a poor design.  The hole in the front of the slide (the slide, BTW, is made up of inner and outer pieces) needs to be as big as it is, in order to be able to angle the barrel+hop-up unit in and out.  If the hole were a flush fit to the barrel, you'd never be able to do that.  But they've made the bushing so thin that it's inherently fragile.  With my calipers I got 10.44mm OD for the barrel, 10.7mm ID for the bushing, and 11.75mm OD for the bushing.  Which means that the bushing wall is about 0.5mm thick.  And the flange that stops it going right through the hole is equally thin, and is the part that so far has largely broken.

I tried bodging a replacement with a saw-off piece of glue nozzle, and a similar piece of a ballpoint cap, that had close to the right ID, but whose OD in both cases was too thick to fit.  (Logically, because they were both stronger.)  Next up: a trip to Lowe's, to the nylon washer and plumbing pipe-fitting sections.

• 1 year later...