Socom Gear pistols, are they any good?

sethvacn

So I am looking at the Socom Gear 1911 MEU: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/pistols-gbb-smgs/socom-gear/socom-gear-meu-1911-limited-edition-black.html#.Uw5YWfl5Nno

Looks sweet, but I heard that SG is just WE rebranded? So I am paying ekstra for a different branding? I really want a sweet looking 1911 in my gun collection. I got a KSC 1911 with co2 for winter use, but it has been a nightmare with the mags, they leak like crazy! So I feel like I am done with co2, I have a couple of Tokyo Marui pistols that I am pleased with, but I am craving full metal pistols :) 

Thoughts?

If we are talking the M9s and 1911s then no.

They make good paperweights though.

At a push the Timberwolf is decent enough for holster stuffing and the Gemtech is a more expensive KJ Work Mk.1 but the rest are best avoided.

'FireKnife'

Here is how bad (at least in my experience) Socom Gear/WE 1911's are. I have taken apart WE' 1911's and some the parts just crumbled in my hands, metal parts.

I have a friend's socom gear 1911 to sort out (jammed), after alot of headaches one day put it together and it worked(we vodoo). So the first thing i do is call up my bud and tell him he can pick his pistol up (i wanted it out of here before something else went wrong with it), he laughed, told me to keep it and have fun with it, he didn't want to skirmish a pistol he couldn't trust. This is not some run-down abused beater, it's a mint condition (skirmished once), special edition M.E.U. with 7 mags, silencer and case.

That being said, my first pistol was a WE hi-capa and it worked flawlessly for years, a real work horse, sold it last year and i'll bet someone is enjoying it right now. Maybe i got lucky, maybe the 1911 is flawed in a way the hi-capa isn't, but are you going to take your hard earned dineros and take that chance?

Edit: See all those WE/SG guns in my sig? Sold the M9 whole and the rest was all parted out, i will never EVER buy a WE 1911 again.

My first pistol was a WE 1911, really put me off GBB pistols as it just wouldn't work. That being said, their latest GBBs I've heard good things about. Won't wrench me away from my TM P226 tho, runs all year round on propane no issues.
Sold it to a mate and it managed to go off in a holster (A solid kydex holster at that) breaking itself internally - they managed to fix it but it was never the same.

Socom gear... heard very bad things about them.

Well, since everyone else is reposting the same responses to this topic they've posted the last few times, I may as well do the same.  Everything is anecdotal.  There are some people who HATE We, and will post that in every thread related to them.  And there are some who swear by them and will have the same fight with the previous group in every thread.  I could tell you I've owned 5 of their 1911s and have greatly enjoyed them, but that won't matter at all if you get one and it doesn't work.  The only absolute facts are, I can get one of these used in the US for $50-60 with a few mags, so to me it's worthwhile.  It won't work or look as nice as a TM with an aftermarket MBK, but if that was the only consideration, we'd all be using TMs with CNC'd steel externals...

tl;dr YMMV

There are some people who HATE We, and will post that in every thread related to them.  And there are some who swear by them and will have the same fight with the previous group in every thread. 

I know what you mean, and i used to be the biggest WE suporter and forum defender, but just like the 1911's ruined WE pistols for me (inspite of a great hi-cappa i owned for years)  WE M4's ruined WE GBBR's (inspite of an amazing SCAR that worked without skipping a beat for years).

This is not about WE in itself, it's about a badly designed gun that WE refuses to either update or just scrap the whole thing and start over (KWC anyone?).

So here we have, a rising star in airsoft, having just released 3 great looking rifles  (acording to most reports they work great too, showing a real increase in quality) and still floging a pistol that was never designed to be fitted with a metal slide in the first place! I'm all about metal pistols, but you can't just stick a metal slide and frame on a basterdized TM hi-capa and call it a day. 

But hey! i have seen people dropn alot more money on much uglier paperweights, so there's that...

Archived