PTW MK12MOD0

TB-Stalker

Right, created this thread to log my MK12 MOD0 build as it's currently only on a private forum.

I'm building a PTW based MK12 MOD0 which is 90% RS and where I have to substitute them for airsoft parts they will be of very high quality.

Firstly, lets get the admin bits out the way:

If you're going to state something in this thread is wrong, please back it up with evidence and links, preferably to RS examples.

If you want to know "hey man where did you find X" please PM me.

Right, 

So what I'm building is the 2006 look for the MK12 MOD0, so this is after Gen I forarms where the swan sleeve had grooves to take into account the PRI tubes barrel nut as well as being mounted on a M4A1 lower with a carbine stock (this isn't the only option, you could also have M4A1 with a full stock, M16A1 and A2 lowers).

Now, source pictures!

Mk12b.jpg

Mk12a.jpg

Mk12223.jpg

securedownloadxt.jpg

modhnh.jpg

c_spr04.jpg

135_3503_img-b.jpg

SPR-002.jpg

416923_543953965621544_1957565993_n.jpg

Now, parts list for a RS version:

Mk12 Mod0

Barrel: 18-inch match-grade stainless heavy profile with 1:7 ratio, rifle-length gas system

Gas Block: PRI flip-up front sight

Muzzle Device: OPS Inc. 12th Model muzzle brake / collar to be paired with the 12th Model suppressor

Handguard: PRI Gen. III free-float

Sights: ARMS #40 rear flip-up, PRI front flip-up

Optics: Operator-specific but Leupold 3–9×36mm TS-30 A2 and Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS are common

Buttstock: Operator-specific but A1, A2, and LMT SOPMODs are common

Mounts: ARMS #38 SWAN Sleeve rail mount, ARMS #22M scope rings (Medium), ARMS #32 bi-pod mount (Harris) or ARMS #42 (Versa-Pod)

Bi-pod: Harris or Versa-Pod

Receiver:Colt receiver M16 or M4A1, for the 2004-6 era where these are most common the serial numbers began with W35 and is 6 digits, so W35XXXX. Forge markings were mostly BAFE Square forge markings as this was before the current Cerro keyhole ones were more common. 

My build:

Barrel: Vanaras 18" Steel MOD0 Profile Barrel

Gas Block: PRI flip-up front sight - Gas bearing parts welded shut to comply with UK laws

Muzzle Device: Vanaras Ops Muzzle Break, suppressor undecided.

Handguard: PRI Gen. III free-float

Sights: ARMS #40 rear flip-up, PRI front flip-up

Optics:  Leupold MKIV. G&P until I am finished and a RS version replaces it.

Buttstock: Old School Colt Stock with John Masen butt pad.

Mounts: ARMS #38 SWAN Sleeve rail mount, ARMS #22M scope rings (Medium), ARMS #32 bi-pod mount (Harris)

Bi-pod: Harris 

Receiver: SGT Colt receiver M4A1,serial number W351402, correct first two digits and then my day and month of birth. SGT Upper with correct  BAFE Square forge markings.

Grip: Ergo Grip

Other parts: Colt Trigger Guard, Colt Milspec Buffer Tube, Colt Charging Handle, Colt Buffer Nut, Daniel Defense Burnstead rear sling loop, Colt Dust Cover

Now, pictures!

Swan sleeve - only took 3 years to find....

Swan3.png

Untitled-1.png

Swan1.png

Swan2.png

Receiver

SGTKit.png

ReceiverMarkings.png

ForgeMarkings.png

Stock

969359_10152062208020499_1102438059_n.jp

IMG_1849.jpg

PRI Gen III Rail / Barrel

IMG_20140226_212448.jpg

Other parts

IMG_20140226_212702.jpg

Optic

20130929_125849.jpg

20130929_125902.jpg

That's all for now, I'll update as parts arrive!

FYI, the Crane built Mk12 Mod0 used Gen-II forends. The SOF Precision Rifle used the Gen-I's. Also, you'll notice that in most of the photos, the lower is actually an M-16A1 forging (not sure if Crane ever used A2's or M4's). Now I understand that once issued to the end-user, they can attach whatever they want. I think either is fine right? But if you do use an A1 lower, make sure it's a replica of the Colt M16A1's that were built with 7075 aluminum forgings (the roll marks are very different on the 6061 forged A1's...centered prancing pony, "M-16A1" as opposed to "M16A1", etc.).

As I mentioned on your last Mk12 post, some folks at ARFCOM identified the Crane built Mk12 sling as an Eagle TAS-1-UMSS. But I suppose there isn't an "official" sling anymore.

Other scopes are the TS-30-A1...it’s identical to the A2 except the A2 has the variable reticle illumination dial. These military Lupy scopes might be tough to get. I was told that they are same as the commercial Lupy A2's, but the markings are clearly different. I was lucky to get a Night Force NAVSPEC RECON which I now use it on my Mod1 (both real gun and airsoft...I don't use my Mod0 anymore) with Night Force rings. I've also read that certain Army SPR's were issued with MILSPEC RECON marked optics.

Harris is a good choice...do NOT get a Versa Pod, they are junk in my opinion.

Now one issue I had when building my airsoft Mod0 is that the PRI PEQ sleeve refused to work on any airsoft made upper. The attachment points by the ARMS made PEQ mount never lined up properly with the top rail of the PRI made forearm. Notice on my photo the ARMS PEQ sleeve is flush with the top rail of the PRI forearm, otherwise, the top mounting screws could not be installed. One option that someone suggested was to widen the receiver's top rail so I can move the entire sleeve forward so the holes for the mounting screws will line up, but I didn't want to ruin a good upper.

001_zps6251cd2c.jpg

The only upper that fit was a real Colt upper, which fortunately can be installed on a PRIME type lower without any modification to the upper itself (mine is a gas-blow-back). I'm not sure if you might run into the same problem with your PTW. Also, my forearm is a bit old...it's a GEN-III carbon fiber with black finish, which I'm not sure PRI still makes. Your forearm looks a bit different (does it have seven rail attachment points? Mine only has five). Also the finish looks different, but that's probably the photo filters?

Thanks for the response, hearing from fellow enthusiasts is always a pleasure, I've responded in line to you below.

FYI, the Crane built Mk12 Mod0 used Gen-II forends. The SOF Precision Rifle used the Gen-I's. Also, you'll notice that in most of the photos, the lower is actually an M-16A1 forging (not sure if Crane ever used A2's or M4's). Now I understand that once issued to the end-user, they can attach whatever they want. I think either is fine right? But if you do use an A1 lower, make sure it's a replica of the Colt M16A1's that were built with 7075 aluminum forgings (the roll marks are very different on the 6061 forged A1's...centered prancing pony, "M-16A1" as opposed to "M16A1", etc.).

This was a difficult one for me, I personally hate the full stock, it doesn't suit how I hold the rifle and I'm in love with the CAR stocks and the fact that the uppers often get moved around leads me to believe that whilst a rare combination, a M4A1 lower with this upper would be possible.

As I mentioned on your last Mk12 post, some folks at ARFCOM identified the Crane built Mk12 sling as an Eagle TAS-1-UMSS. But I suppose there isn't an "official" sling anymore.

Yh I think I'm just going to go for the LBT two point or something along those lines, although the front sling loop I wanted is restricted to the US :(

Other scopes are the TS-30-A1...it’s identical to the A2 except the A2 has the variable reticle illumination dial. These military Lupy scopes might be tough to get. I was told that they are same as the commercial Lupy A2's, but the markings are clearly different. I was lucky to get a Night Force NAVSPEC RECON which I now use it on my Mod1 (both real gun and airsoft...I don't use my Mod0 anymore) with Night Force rings. I've also read that certain Army SPR's were issued with MILSPEC RECON marked optics.

I've luckily found someone with a milspec Lupy as they have acquired one from a friend who just got out of the business of "doing bad things to bad people"

Harris is a good choice...do NOT get a Versa Pod, they are junk in my opinion.

Versa never even came close ;)

Now one issue I had when building my airsoft Mod0 is that the PRI PEQ sleeve refused to work on any airsoft made upper. The attachment points by the ARMS made PEQ mount never lined up properly with the top rail of the PRI made forearm. Notice on my photo the ARMS PEQ sleeve is flush with the top rail of the PRI forearm, otherwise, the top mounting screws could not be installed. One option that someone suggested was to widen the receiver's top rail so I can move the entire sleeve forward so the holes for the mounting screws will line up, but I didn't want to ruin a good upper.

The only upper that fit was a real Colt upper, which fortunately can be installed on a PRIME type lower without any modification to the upper itself (mine is a gas-blow-back). I'm not sure if you might run into the same problem with your PTW. Also, my forearm is a bit old...it's a GEN-III carbon fiber with black finish, which I'm not sure PRI still makes. Your forearm looks a bit different (does it have seven rail attachment points? Mine only has five). Also the finish looks different, but that's probably the photo filters?

Mine is a Gen III carbon fibre as well, I've got the paperwork somewhere, the previous owner made the extra holes out of preference, but the price I got it for was a steal so can't complain.

Luckily SGT have a fantastic reputation for precision, although not cheap, everything assembled and aligned no problems!

You can't find the original A.R.M.S. rail anywhere, really; it's been out of production for a long time. However, PRI make their own clone of it to go with their handguards, which is a good RS replacement (arguably better than the A.R.M.S. itself, given the low opinion some have of that company). On the airsoft side of things, Madbull make a promising-looking copy.

FYI, PRI makes two types...one that doesn't have the PEQ mount and the one that does. Functionally, for airsoft, I don't think it makes a difference (unless you're striving for "accuracy").

I personally think PRI's sleeve is no better or worse than ARMS' (I've seen it in person, but never used PRI's). I don't have very many products made by both ARMS or PRI, but what I do have hasn't given me any problems (I'm also not sensitive to these things...as long as a product functions as intended within the give parameters, I have no complaints). I've used both Mod1 and Mod0 and they are both extremely accurate; the best I think I got was a bit over 1 MOA at 600 yards using 77gr on both. I don't use my Mod0 anymore, but I think both are fine platforms and does what it's intended for.

FYI, PRI makes two types...one that doesn't have the PEQ mount and the one that does. Functionally, for airsoft, I don't think it makes a difference (unless you're striving for "accuracy").

I personally think PRI's sleeve is no better or worse than ARMS' (I've seen it in person, but never used PRI's). I don't have very many products made by both ARMS or PRI, but what I do have hasn't given me any problems (I'm also not sensitive to these things...as long as a product functions as intended within the give parameters, I have no complaints). I've used both Mod1 and Mod0 and they are both extremely accurate; the best I think I got was a bit over 1 MOA at 600 yards using 77gr on both. I don't use my Mod0 anymore, but I think both are fine platforms and does what it's intended for.

I'm using the ARMS swan sleeve not the PRI anyway :)

Sent from the Droid you're looking for.

Yes, the PRI version doesn't have the swan logo as well as the PEQ marks. When I had my Mod0 built PRI sleeve wasn't being made so the only choice was ARMS. I think the PRI sleeve is relatively new? My point was either will work just fine for airsoft and one is probably no better or worse than the other.

OP makes an outstanding 18" barrel, but they are too expensive in my opinion ranging from $600 to $700. They made them for the PTW, WA, and Marui. OP doesn't have a web store (I think?) so if you want one you can only get them at toy gun shows, yahoo auction, or calling them.

Yes, the PRI version doesn't have the swan logo as well as the PEQ marks. When I had my Mod0 built PRI sleeve wasn't being made so the only choice was ARMS. I think the PRI sleeve is relatively new? My point was either will work just fine for airsoft and one is probably no better or worse than the other.

OP makes an outstanding 18" barrel, but they are too expensive in my opinion ranging from $600 to $700. They made them for the PTW, WA, and Marui. OP doesn't have a web store (I think?) so if you want one you can only get them at toy gun shows, yahoo auction, or calling them.

I think the PRI is just over a year old, maybe two? Either way, I'm a stickler for the details so spent some time tracking it down, turned up in such a stupid place, if people want to know where to get one brand new drop me a PM as I won't be posting it on here.

I think I remember seeing those but couldn't find them in stock anywhere.

Sent from the Droid you're looking for.

I'm a stickler for the details so spent some time tracking it down, turned up in such a stupid place, if people want to know where to get one brand new drop me a PM[.]

Don't tempt me!

You definitely shouldn't drop the Vanaras barrel (steel, right?) for an aluminium replacement. Project PTW can correct many deficiencies but they can't turn aluminium into steel.

Don't tempt me!

You definitely shouldn't drop the Vanaras barrel (steel, right?) for an aluminium replacement. Project PTW can correct many deficiencies but they can't turn aluminium into steel.

I won't be don't worry ;)

The swan sleeve comes in at under £200 including customs and shipping to the UK, brand new with ARMS certificate of ownership if that makes you feel any better ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous mate. Attention to detail is second to none.!

Thank you, much appreciated.

Quick update, the following have been ordered and are in the post on the way to me:

ARMS #40 Standard A2 Sight http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40Std.%20A2

ARMS #22 Scope Rings (Medium) http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=rings&id=[hsh]22%20M

ARMS #22 Tactical Ring Cap http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=rings&id=[hsh]22%20TRC

ARMS #22 Tactical Ring Rail http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=rings&id=[hsh]22%20TRR

PRI Flip Up Front Sight https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186686&CAT=4210

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived