Russia, Ukraine.

DrAlexanderTobacco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukraine are almost definitely going to lose the Crimea (at the very least). Historically, when countries pull this sort of *suitcase* if you don't stand up to them immediately, you've already lost. The USA is going to be made to look very weak as I seriously doubt Obama's going to commit anything to stop the Russian aggression, so Putin wins a huge propaganda victory over the States.

Any way you look at it, extremely bad news.

It is in the hands of either a man that has no desire to start a conflict (Obama) or a man that wishes to rule more of the neighbouring countries and bring things back to the 'old ways'.

Either way this seems like it is just going to go on until a very firm solution occurs. What that solution is depends on who follows through with the biggest threat it would seem. Either way not good.

Also didn't one of the Ghost Recon games start like this?

'FireKnife'

So that's the West out of options.  A firm phone call to Russia will do *fruitcage* all for the situation.  Now we're going to sit back and watch Russia steam roll Crimea (whilst strongly objecting of course)

Interesting I'm not seeing any BS posts on FB about boycotting the paralympics because Russia has invaded another country.  People were all for boycotting the actual Olympics for anti gay stuff but apparently they don't care about acts of war...

Not so fast, Crimea won't go with Russia quietly, there's a lot of Tatars living there and those guys absolutely HATE Russians.

That and I'm guessing that Poland will soon raise fuss in the European parliament, and rightly so.

Not so fast, Crimea won't go with Russia quietly, there's a lot of Tatars living there and those guys absolutely HATE Russians.

That and I'm guessing that Poland will soon raise fuss in the European parliament, and rightly so.

Russia has offered the Tatars all sorts of incentives to switch sides, according to Russia Today.

I think after that you will need a tower shield too as they will throw bottles full of foul smelling liquid and it will not be Tartar sauce :P.

So lets sum up, we have had on the news murder of rioting civilians, hunts for deposed leaders, the West having no spine to deal with it, homosexual controversy and Top Gear managing to film in the Ukraine without getting captured. All from one relatively small area of the globe.

Bugger me with a fish fork, it is only just March. Wonder what will the next two months bring.

'FireKnife'

Russia is totally in the wrong, but the ethnic Ukrainians are not much better, a notable chunk of the protesters would make the BNP look like raving liberals. So what we get is a situation where morality and right of action doesn't exist and it is now a good old geopolitical issue.

Russia's recent actions are very similar to those of Nazi Germany from 1933-1939, it's taking bigger and bigger risks, and each time we are letting them get away with it, because we so desperately want to avoid war, but each time we are simply setting the stage for a bigger one.

It's become a rogue state, who is executing a policy of teritorial expansion based on claims of ethnic unity. It has claimed huge chunks of the arctic, effectively forced the ceding of territory from Georgia and now seems intent on annexing chunks of the Ukraine. Are we likely to see an Anschluss agreement between Belarus and Russia on the cards? Yes, that seems pretty likely. So where does it stop? Where do we intervene? When they have taken more of Georgia? Maybe when they roll into Moldova? Or when they hit someone closer to home?

I'm just wondering what will happen if the Ukrainian army rock up to all the places the Russians have have taken over, making sure they outnumber them 10 or 20 to one.  Would Russia *fruitcage* off because someone is finally stepping up to them or do they believe in their so much they'll open up on the Ukrainians and start a war.

No. What I'm saying is what happens if the Ukrainians turn up, clearly outnumbering the Russians and are like 'give us back our *suitcase* bro.  You've had your fun' It is clear the Ukraine does not want any violence and are waiting for Russia to instigate it so the entire world (well the people that matter) will condemn Russia.  Will Russia start shooting if the Ukrainians turn up to reclaim their stuff peacefully or would they slink away like someone confronting a schoolyard bully.

Russia is totally in the wrong, but the ethnic Ukrainians are not much better, a notable chunk of the protesters would make the BNP look like raving liberals. So what we get is a situation where morality and right of action doesn't exist and it is now a good old geopolitical issue.

The vast majority of people protesting were just ordinary people fighting for independence from Russian influence. Can't really blame them when you consider the political situation around Ukraine the last 5 years or so. A lot has been said about Right Sector and the Self Defence group, but they are a small segment or a huge group of people, and they haven't even got hardly any political swing in the temporary government.

And that interim government's first action was to turn around an ban protests, with no sense of irony. This is a country where 1/10th of the seats in parliament are held by a party that is pretty overtly a rekindled Nazi Party. Now bear in mind 26% of the population of the Ukraine is Russian and wouldn't ever vote for such a party, and you get a worrying number of Ukrainians who support extremists. And with their own ready made militias and propensity for militarism these are the exact kind of people who thrive on conflict, just as they have done in this one.

I'm pretty sure the Russians would just start shooting and tell everyone the Ukrainians shot first. My point was, the Russians aren't outnumbered, in an individual location they might be, but there are thousands of reinforcements just hours away that the Ukrainian army (that which remains loyal) has no hope of defeating as all it's kit is 30+ years out of date.

What I don't get is we've got emergency meetings scheduled on Thursday. Thursday FFS.  Why isn't this stuff going on right now? Why aren't the UN/NATO observers out there right now?  From what I gather, if the Ukraine doesn't surrender tomorrow.  It's all going to kick off.

NATO are already meeting aren't they? Sure it said that on the BBC yesterday. The problem is, the second a western soldier sets foot in the Ukraine, it will seem to the ethnic Russians that everything they said about this being an EU backed coup is true and the rest of the regions in which they are the majority will probably follow the Crimea.

Archived