Russia, Ukraine.

DrAlexanderTobacco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Daddy are we about to enter another Cold War?'

Seriously is it going to go that way as all that happened last time was fear, proxy wars, dodgy deals and bankruptcy and we don't need all that again.

'FireKnife'

That sounds like what we have now!

Peter Hitchens told me to read this:: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ukraine-crisis-no-wonder-vladimir-putin-says-crimea-is-russian-9162734.html - so I did. v interesting

True, but the added threat of nuclear war is always a bonus eh?

But either way we as a nation never really go for any amount of time without being involved in some peacekeeping or conflict. Hopefully this will just be a bit of might flexing, both sides back off and realise it could lead to worse if they carry on and all is done. I somewhat doubt it but that seems to be best case in my mind.

'FireKnife'

judging by the comments here, I think it's clear we all think the EU is going to do diddly squat.

Despite the fact some members of the EU parliament had a big mouth last month, when talking to the protesters in Ukraine.

Funny how it got mentioned that Russia takes in land every where. Ironically so does the EU, with promises and money

(which they steal from the citizens of long-serving EU countries, who have no say in the matter).

But what those EU officials do not understand is, that their actions has made the EU weak over the past 5 years.

Greece is the prime example, of what happens when you don't think things through and just want to be physically bigger, living of a lie.

In the end, no matter who is rolling its muscles the most, the citizens always loose.

Ethnic Russians would, why should they need Brits and Germans, the two longstanding and most bitter enemies of Russia policing them? Or nearly as bad, Americans and Turks.

Russia Today has already been claiming that 'Neo-Fascist opposition rioters have been raiding homes of pro-Russian government officials and giving anything they find to the US military who is there on the ground'.

It's brinkmanship, the exact same thing that started the first world war. Its a policy of bullying to the edge of war to take what you want before anyone steps in. The trouble with this policy is that balancing on a knife edge leaves a very narrow margin of error.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Russia Today has already been claiming that 'Neo-Fascist opposition rioters have been raiding homes of pro-Russian government officials and giving anything they find to the US military who is there on the ground'.

Oh wow, I haven't read this sort of demented BS since the Soviet Union fell. Who the hell are they trying to fool?!

Just heard on the radio that Russia has fired warning shots at a group of 300 Ukrainian soldiers who walked out towards the Russian lines (surrounding a base) who were armed with a flag. I have no further information other than this - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/04/ukraine-crisis-russian-troops-crimea-john-kerry-kiev

Very sorry everyone. I had far too many beers last night. The internet should have a brethalyser.

I found your post so amusing I told the wife while I was reading it over coffee this morning... Had to explain the Fallout reference however. The world might end - lets not be too serious about everything lol :P

Maybe I'm paranoid (but I thought that when I was worried about the government spying on...everyone) but does this seem fishy to anybody else?

THe-secret-document-carri-009.jpg

Yep.   I thought that was very sketchy when I spotted it.

I just read on BBC News that that Putin has denied Russian troops had besieged Ukrainians based in Crimea - they were pro-Russian "self-defence" forces. Ha ha.  He's either living in fantasy land or he's not even trying to come up with convincing lies anymore.

I still cannot get over Putin just stripping the army of their insignias and saying they're not Russian forces.  Madness.

mmm. Of course its happened before but it wasn't some spad with some bs policy doc - this is a senior civil servant with obviously top secret negotion strategy papers - mistakes can be made but this is a big one and exactly the kind of thing that you'd expect a d-notice to be issued on

I'm not sure why you're *expecting* the EU to do anything. They're an economic/soft-politics entity. If you want an organisation that can actually do anything, look to NATO.

And I am absolutely clueless why you think I think the EU will do anything. Diddly squat = zero.

I am looking at this as one giant chess game that moves very slowly. Sometimes one of the players is bored, and makes a move to stir it all up.

You're moaning and crying about how vocal the EU were during the protests:

"judging by the comments here, I think it's clear we all think the EU is going to do diddly squat.

Despite the fact some members of the EU parliament had a big mouth last month, when talking to the protesters in Ukraine."

My point, was that it's unfair to expect the EU to do anything, as that's not really the point of the EU. Just because you disagree with their actions in the area they actually deal with, doesn't mean you can slag them off for something that doesn't apply to them.

Oh wow, I haven't read this sort of demented BS since the Soviet Union fell. Who the hell are they trying to fool?!

Sadly, there are far too many people that believe everything RT puts out! Read the comments on their site, twitter and Facebook.

You're moaning and crying about how vocal the EU were during the protests:

My point, was that it's unfair to expect the EU to do anything, as that's not really the point of the EU. Just because you disagree with their actions in the area they actually deal with, doesn't mean you can slag them off for something that doesn't apply to them.

It looks like you completely misunderstood, but that is ok, happens to anyone.

Archived