Russia, Ukraine.

DrAlexanderTobacco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.  But the big meeting is on Thursday which looks like it will be too late. What about NATO peace keepers.  Surely no one would object to those.

Next time Ireland and Scotland act up, just ask the UN for peacekeepers.  I'm sure you wouldn't mind American, Canadian, Australian, and Turkish (for good measure) troops in the UK to try to resolve it.  

Its better to send diplomats and just let Russia and the Ukrainian governments deal with it.  If someone starts shooting, then the other stakeholders in this whole deal can get involved.  

Before voting on accession, Ukraine demanded from Russia, the USA, France and the United Kingdom a written statement that these powers undertook to extend the security guarantees to Ukraine. Instead security assurances to Ukraine (Ukraine published the documents as guarantees given to Ukraine),[6] given on 5 December 1994 at a formal ceremony in Budapest (known as the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances[7]), may be summarized as follows: Russia, the UK and the USA undertake to respect Ukraine's borders in accordance with the principles of the 1975 CSCE Final Act, to abstain from the use or threat of force against Ukraine, to support Ukraine where an attempt is made to place pressure on it by economic coercion, and to bring any incident of aggression by a nuclear power before the UN Security Council.

Ukraine was scheduled to submit its instruments of accession to the NPT as a non-nuclear state and formally enter into START at the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe summit in Budapest in December 1994. The Rada resolution on accession to the NPT, however, was ambiguous as to whether Ukraine was acceding as a nuclear or non-nuclear state, which was unacceptable to the Russians. The compromise reached after intense negotiations was to attach a diplomatic note from the President of Ukraine to the Rada resolution stipulating that Ukraine was acceding as a non-nuclear state.

The Trilateral Statement: Signed in Moscow, 14 January 1994 by the presidents of the United States, Russia, and Ukraine: Bill ClintonBoris Yeltsin, and Leonid Kravchuk. It details the procedures to transfer Ukrainian nuclear warheads to Russia and associated compensation and security assurances. It also sets out simultaneous actions to transfer SS-18 and SS-24 warheads from Ukraine to Russia for dismantling and to provide compensation to Ukraine in the form of fuel assemblies for nuclear power stations. It also provides economic support and technical aid from the United States to assist with dismantling the strategic nuclear arms, as well as security assurances to Ukraine from both the United States and Russia, once START Ienters into force and Ukraine becomes a non-nuclear weapon state party to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Budapest Memorandum,1994 - Wikipedia

Relations are dodgy as *suitcase*.  I know.  Lets launch an ICBM.  Fantastic idea.

I wonder how long it will be before we get a peep from NK.  Surely they don't like all this attention not on them heh.

Relations are dodgy as *suitcase*.  I know.  Lets launch an ICBM.  Fantastic idea.

I wonder how long it will be before we get a peep from NK.  Surely they don't like all this attention not on them heh.

North Korea recently had a major document published about their human rights violations by the UN. In response to it, Botswana severed all ties to NK and gave them a lengthy, heartfelt letter explaining why. Amusingly, China copied most of the letter and just changed out he bits where it mentions Botswana.

Would you care to explain?

My point was that I don't expect the EU to do anything, which is what I described in my first post all along.

oh yes, and "moaning and crying" as you call it, is not the same as stating facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnXo2HMriQ

My point was that I don't expect the EU to do anything, which is what I described in my first post all along.

oh yes, and "moaning and crying" as you call it, is not the same as stating facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnXo2HMriQ

You're right, I worded that badly. I am just confused why you mentioned it at all.

Who's many? Surly the only reason is they're taking advantage of political instability to seize control of Crimea once and for all to ensure their continued use of Sevastopol, ensuring an anti Russian government can't take the courtesy away from them.

true, well depending on views, we could say that the reasons, are just excuses for Russia to take over Crimea.

Be it justified reasons, or silly excuses, I don't know, the result however stays the same.

Screw the army. They're just under orders to wave their *rickrolls* in the wind. What I'd like to know is what these Spetsnaz folks are cooking up deep in Ukraine and in civilian clothes no less.

2e0pa4g.jpg

edit:

More importantly, how did that middle guy mount an EOTech on his GM-94?!? I think I'd like to copy that when I make my replica.

The *fruitcage*? Grenade launchers...

Hushed word is Blackwater/civilian mercs are in and around trying to extract people.  How much truth in that I don't know.

Do you know where that pic was taken renegade?

Looks to me like a bunch of airsofters have broken loose.

But then if they are some form of SF group I do wonder where exactly they are and what they are doing? Bit heavy handed to send them in just for say riot suppression etc.

'FireKnife'

Wait, this sounds a bit like the kick off to the last act of GR:FS.

Either way it looks to just be too much 'wait what is this unit doing here' to really make an accurate assumption.

It is a touch worrying given that it could go horribly wrong and unlike NK the Russians could easily back up their plans.

'FireKnife'

RC, current theory is that the "civies" are either elements of SSO or the GRU.  Some sort of matter occurred during the day the photos were taken that precipitated their involvement (probably "Seize this building, extract this individual") instead of the Morpeh units taking part.

FK, you have not seen silly till you have seen the Chemical Troops and their antics.

Who's many? Surly the only reason is they're taking advantage of political instability to seize control of Crimea once and for all to ensure their continued use of Sevastopol, ensuring an anti Russian government can't take the courtesy away from them.

During the invasion of Georgia, I seem to recall that Ukraine blockaded the navy base in protest.

Archived