American air force.....

Ghost_Rider

heehee....Lucky him.  I like the smell of AvGas... :D

AVGAS? No wonder the USAF is useless if they are still using that.

<supplier mode>

AVGAS - Aviation Gasoline. Petrol based fuel used in piston engine aircraft. Not ised by the military these days.

AVTUR - Aviation turbine fuel. Used in jet A/C.

Comes in 2 common forms, F35 - basically plain kerosene used by the USAF and civvi airlines . And F-34 FSII, F35 with added FSII (fuel systems iceing inhibitor) which clings to water particles in the fuel and prevents freezeing at high altitude. Used by the RAF.

Then you get into AVCAT, AVTAG and AVPIN. And I can't be bothered to explain those. Although AVPIN is fun stuff, it spontaniously combusts.

</supplier mode>

And trust me, AVTUR smells much better than AVGAS. There is nothing better than shoving your head into the dip hatch of a 1,000,000 litre BFI tank full of AVTUR to clear a hangover and wake you up in the morning.

Well apart from a 5million litre tank at the Petroleum Supply Depot in Cyprus that is. :D

And now you all know. Cherish your new found knowledgem you never know when it might pop up in a pub quiz. :)

Edited for spelling....

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie182:

the eurofighter has been fitted with the canards, i herd that due to these canards the performace level far exceeds any US aircraft (except for F/A18 super hornet and maybe the new JSF/JCF) maybe you can help me but what 2 squadrons is the new eurofighter based at?

Night_raven

supply assistant (Shirt Folder)

Grrrrrrr, I hope you weren't insulting my trade there. If you were insulting the civvi wannabes then it's ok, but otherwise I may be forced to drown you in aviation fuel until you die from it.

Never dream of it, although i must admit i love getting high on fuel myself lol (youth of today :rolleyes: )

On a relevant note my favourite quote from the Airman i worked with in the stores

"these are STORES you know why theyre called that? because they STORE stuff...If this was for issuing stuff theyd be called an ISSUE"

:P

RAFs still only short on a couple of trades though scarily its like RAF Regiment and some obscure trade mainly isnt it?

Eddie182:

the eurofighter has been fitted with the canards, i herd that due to these canards the performace level far exceeds any US aircraft (except for F/A18 super hornet and maybe the new JSF/JCF) maybe you can help me but what 2 squadrons is the new eurofighter based at?

Night_raven

Correct. It out performs any current "in service" a/c anywhere. However, it will not out class the F-22, and the F-22 will not out class it either. They both have features that the other does not, which makes them about equal, with the F-22 having a slight advantage in the BVR arena. But then the F-22 is around twice the price of the Typhoon.

Not sure what sqns are going to be the first to stand up with the typhoon. But I do know connigsby will be the first operational unit. And I know 41sqn (currently Jaguar GR3) will be one of the first few sqn to operate Typhoon.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hope you have fun. You do realise that photog is a dead trade? You will basically know every single person in you whole trade, and your promotion will be purely by the dead mans boots method.

IE, one Cpl leaves or gets promoted, one SAC will be promoted. Not really my idea of a good job to be in.

But seriously, if thats what you want to do. Go for it.

Just don't be suprised if I mock you every 5 mins. :P

Wow - a Eurofighter vs two '15 Echos . . .come on, that's like a race between a Lambo and a Corvette - honestly, both are nice, but the Eurofighter is light centuries - not years - centuries - in front of the Eagle - both the C and E models.

Now, if it had been a head to head vs an F-22 and a Typhoon, and the F-22 lost, I'd be surprised. The Eurofighter is indeed a fine aircraft, but IMO - the F-22 is very hot. And thrust vectoring helps infinitely - anytime you can get your thrust moving the same direction as you want to, it's a good thing.

On the subject of planes, an amazing plane that never entered production but was really awesome was the AFTI/CTV F-16. Could move 25-30 degrees off center left, right, up or down without changing it's actual flight vector. Was a fantastic plane, and could do things that I've never seen another fighter do. The F-16XL was also a *beep* hot aircraft - amazing that it was beat out by the F-15E. :angry:

As for the F-35 - I dunno . . .it looks a little TOO complicated for my tastes. One of those little doors doesn't open when you go to land - you're F'ed. Especially if you have to land in VTOL mode and there's no available landing strip around.

-Slo

I saw it, on sunday i saw it fly.

When did you go ?

Night_raven

i went on the bank holiday monday. Saw 2 jests, an hour of rain, then they shoved all the showed into a compressed time so it was literally 30secs between acts. But then thunder storms started and the called it off, grounding the EF and a boeing summin or other.

i went on the bank holiday monday. Saw 2 jests, an hour of rain, then they shoved all the showed into a compressed time so it was literally 30secs between acts. But then thunder storms started and the called it off, grounding the EF and a boeing summin or other.

I went to an air show a couple of years ago and when a eurofighter prototype flew over, the ground was rumbling and the car alarms all went of!

That article just shows that English pilots are still the best, they are brave and skillfull!. Just like when our ''under sized'' RAF knocked the cra p out of hitler in the 1940's!

POW take that America ;)

Um . . . yeah, because the USAAF had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it either . . . . :huh:

-Slo

Wow - a Eurofighter vs two '15 Echos . . .come on, that's like a race between a Lambo and a Corvette - honestly, both are nice, but the Eurofighter is light centuries - not years - centuries - in front of the Eagle - both the C and E models.

Now, if it had been a head to head vs an F-22 and a Typhoon, and the F-22 lost, I'd be surprised. The Eurofighter is indeed a fine aircraft, but IMO - the F-22 is very hot. And thrust vectoring helps infinitely - anytime you can get your thrust moving the same direction as you want to, it's a good thing.

On the subject of planes, an amazing plane that never entered production but was really awesome was the AFTI/CTV F-16. Could move 25-30 degrees off center left, right, up or down without changing it's actual flight vector. Was a fantastic plane, and could do things that I've never seen another fighter do. The F-16XL was also a *beep* hot aircraft - amazing that it was beat out by the F-15E.  :angry:

As for the F-35 - I dunno . . .it looks a little TOO complicated for my tastes. One of those little doors doesn't open when you go to land - you're F'ed. Especially if you have to land in VTOL mode and there's no available landing strip around.

-Slo

Exactly.

Also, let's not forget that the F-15 was designed as an air superiority fighter, and the Typhoon primarily as a multi-role aircraft. The Eurofighter is very maneuverable, easily slipping past and around other aircraft in close dogfighting. Had the two planes been coming at each other from 100 miles away, however, the results would have been quite different.

It's a bit like saying "My bike can turn in the garage, and your car can't, so my bike is better than your car".

Ahh it was sunday i saw it fly :) sweet aircraft it was.

IMO both the Eurofighter and the F15E both have thier own unique abilitys but for example the F15E developed an in flight problem, yeah fair enough it will display the problem but can the F15E actually take control of the plane when the problem occurs and bring it home or to the nearest available airfield. I have seen the Eurofighter cockpit (or flight deck) and it is very impressive, although Eddie you work for the R.A.F whats the name given to the voice commands system it something like moaning minne or something. The Eurofighters uncanny ability to pull something like +9/-10 in some situations has to be really well thought out if i were opposing the Eurofighter i would think of my moves before i attempt.

Night_raven

Archived