American air force.....

Ghost_Rider

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Guys...Lets give it to the Brits...For Once...They beat us!

One of the reasons that we are in ALLIANCE with you guys...

Ok...Our Jets may suck....so lets go onto the Helos...Something I KNOW The apache can face ALL!

If I need to I'll pull out our commercial aircraft! That will be a mighty big argument...

If that doesn't work, If I must I'll pull out the ol' trusty REVOLUTIONARY WAR argument!!!

HaHA!

Yeah but we also have apaches!

Oh man, AWACs support these days is awesome. Like the J-Stars and the E767s now coming into service. Got those massive Phased Array Frequency Agile sets . . .they can actually guide missiles fired from fighters, so the fighters themselves NEVER have to light up their active radar systems rendering themselves nearly invisible until the last moment. Good stuff.

As for the F-14, great plane, but honestly, it's days are numbered. Even the AIM-54 is just about obsolete with the kind of active and semi-active jammers they have nowadays. And I love the Tom, it's an awesome plane. Navy is gonna' start decomming them soon and replacing them with the 18 Echos.

-Slo

oww...My head hurts... :huh: How did you learn all that stuff?!

Well, it is HQ Strike Command.

ie, where the RAF is run from.

Plus, as I say, stuff really isn't kept under wraps anywhere near as much as it used to be during the cold war.

And we don't really have a version of area 51, we aren't as neurotic and paraniod as the yanks. Well most of the time anyway.

No mate we don't order from companies.

All i do is speak to the idiots who deal with contractors and get them to sort out delivery dates etc. Move kit from one place to another so satisfy requirements and authorise robs from other aircraft to repair aircraft on deployment.

There's a lot more to it than that but I'm not going to bother explaining in detail becasue it would take forever and you probably wouldn't understand it anyway. After all not even the mojority of the RAF outside of supply really understand what we do, they just know it works.

True, although i wonder what a tornado with 2 rolls royce Pegasus/olympus engines would be like (the same that powerd concorde which had 4)

that would be awesome but you would end up with 2 long engines and one dirty long tonka.

Night_raven

P.s - is tonka the nickname of the tornado ?

Yes, while the F-15A is 30 years old, the F-15E ISN'T . . .while it may remain the same basic airframe, just about every single thing has been changed, from the engines, the flight software, radar, even the damn control stick has been changed - it uses the same HOTAS the F/A-18 does.

And you know, this whole story is just surprising to me. It's not that I can't believe the '15 drivers tried to engage the EF, it was probably friendly ribbing, but the fact that they were stupid enough to believe that they actually COULD. Me, honestly, I'd pull alongside, grin, and admire that sexy thing.

As to how I know so much, my father was USAF, retired after 20 years. Was an F-4 driver most of his career then went to F-16s right as they started coming to full service. So I've been around jets, helos, anything that flies, my entire life, and have soaked up more than enough knowledge about anything that flies today.

-Slo

For the record, the F-35 is utter ######. It's slower, carrys less munitions, both in weight and storage capacity, and is less manuverable than the F-16. Additionally, even coming close to the F-16's capacity requires external pylons, which further decrease speed, range and manuverability, and, more importantly, kills the stealth advantage.

edit - wtf? cr-ap is censored?

Eddie, you'd really be suprised at how much stuff is still classified. At Lockheed's Skunkworks facility, they had the F-117 flying, stealthy and fully operational in the late '70s. Skunkworks is able to be so secret because their supply chain doesn't go through normal methods. There is no accessable record of what goes in or out of that place. And if the 117 was late 80s-early 70s....

I can't help but laugh about those U-2s. They aren't in Korea either ;) When we got to train on egress procedures on one, it looked like swiss cheese. They had pulled complete panels and banks of equipment out of the plane, just becasue it takes a very specific clearance just to look at that equipment. I wouldn't doubt the militaries ability to keep secrets too much.

Archived