GHK GBB AK Discussion Thread

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a special moment. When you take it out of the box, slowly undressing the plastic bag that it's wrapped in, finally running your fingers on the furniture. Feeling the oil coating your hands. And t

If you don't have a preference in terms of the platform (AK vs AR) and if you're willing to spend the extra cash, I'd argue that you'll definitely get the better gun with the GHK. I'm obviously biased

Blobface, the CO2 mag does also have an aluminium tube! When you pierce the cartridge, the CO2 enters that tube also. And with my mod you also fill that tube with liquid.   blankz5152, you can still

So I got mine today. Exact replica of an easy german akm with some fancy name that I don't know. :D

The one mag leaks from the cylinders which is an easy fix but the release valve is also leaking. Any advice to solve that? I think it's the smallest oring right at the base nearest the e clip.

Anyone have any gg or co2 mags they wanna sell?

• 4 weeks later...

Nugent + Other, figured I ask you guys here.

How are the GHK 105's holding with CO2 mags? I want another GHK AK, either another 74U or 105 this time.

But I want to run CO2 Only, want the most recoil for my cqb enjoyment...

Wanted to know how the 105 holds up against the 74U. IIRC testing them the 74U had a bit of more kick then the 105 on GG.

How are the GHK 105's holding with CO2 mags? (...)

Wanted to know how the 105 holds up against the 74U. IIRC testing them the 74U had a bit of more kick then the 105 on GG.

Kick-wise, I'd rate the 105 above the 74U, since it features a considerably longer and heavier gas piston - which especially makes a difference if you go for the steel gas pistons offered by Samoon/Hephaestus. For the same reason, the short GHK AK variants tend to have a slightly higher fire rate.

Personally, I'd say that a steel gas piston is an obligatory purchase when going with the CO2 magazines. Aside from the cold weather performance, CO2's benefits come mostly in the form of massive recoil, while performance wise it actually falls a tad short due to the noticably worse consistency compared to green gas (in warm weather).

In terms of reliability, it doesn't really make a difference which GHK AK you go for and whether you use CO2 or green gas, as the parts that tend to break using CO2 are the same that also break when using green gas - maybe just a little slower due to the difference in recoil. This mostly concerns the sear - which can be replaced with a steel one. I guess the guide tabs on the nozzle and the standard plastic hop-up chamber needn't really be discussed as weakpoints any further and they're also not CO2-specific problem areas.

Edited by Hetzer
  • Like 2

My 105 is running strong on C02.  I think the recoil is about the same between the 105 and 74U because the 74U comes with the heavy recoil kit now from GHK.  However, installing heavy recoil kit in a 105 makes the felt recoil more on the 105 than 74U.

• Like 1

Right gentleman, I will be taking the plunge this week and getting myself a GHK AK74SU, from Kic.

Is there anything that would really aid the GHK? I'm in the UK so perhaps the 1J nozzle: http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p9943_SAMOON-1-Joule-Bolt-for-GHK-GKM---GK74-GBBR.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

There also seems to be a few recoil kits out at the moment but not sure on which one:

Also, for whoever wanted to get an AR grip on their AK, they seem to sell an adapter: http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p11092_AngryGun-AR-Grip-Adapter-for-GHK-AK-GBB-Series.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Any point in upgrading the hop unit/rubber?

• Like 1

Right gentleman, I will be taking the plunge this week and getting myself a GHK AK74SU, from Kic.

Is there anything that would really aid the GHK?

What I'd recommend getting with any GHK AK to get you started aside from the gun and magazines:

• The Samoon Enhanced Blow Back Kit (I'd take this over the Hephaestus one because it comes with a stiffer recoil spring, not just a steel gas piston. Weight-wise, they are pretty much the same.)
  • One Hepheastus steel sear, as the original one will break after a while (if GHK still hasn't upgraded these things out of the box, which I presume they haven't).
  • Either a spare plastic hop-up unit or an upgraded metal one. I'd avoid the Team-GBB unit (because of the akwardly shaped bucking hole) and go for either the FG-Airsoft or the ProWin model.
  • A spare nozzle; in your case an adjustable FG-Airsoft one or the 1J version due to your FPS-related concerns. If fps are not an issue and you decide to go for the metal ProWin nozzle, keep in mind that this will require you to mod your carrier, as the metal nozzle will break off the tabs on the carrier that are holding the nozzle in the carrier. It's not a big deal to fix and the mod can be made even after the damage is done. In any case, do not use a metal nozzle with a plastic hop-up unit.
  • A couple of spare feed lips for the magazines. This might not be necessary in your case if you're going for the 5.45mm type 74 mags, as they are not as prone to the out of the box feeding issues that require you to file on the feed lips. If you're going to get some 7.62mm type 47 mags, do also get a spare set of feed lips per mag.
  • Even if you're not going to go for upgrades like a precision barrel or an r-hop right away, I'd recommend you to at least replace the stock hop-up rubber - for example with a Maple Leaf Monster/Diamond one.
  • This is not a must, but If you want to be extra careful, you can also get a set of the (nozzle and mag) o-rings at Samoon (or at the hardware store).
Edited by Hetzer
  • Like 1

What I'd recommend getting with any GHK AK to get you started aside from the gun and magazines:

• The Samoon Enhanced Blow Back Kit (I'd take this over the Hephaestus one because it comes with a stiffer recoil spring, not just a steel gas piston. Weight-wise, they are pretty much the same.)
  • One Hepheastus steel sear, as the original one will break after a while (if GHK still hasn't upgraded these things out of the box, which I presume they haven't).
  • Either a spare plastic hop-up unit or an upgraded metal one. I'd avoid the Team-GBB unit (because of the akwardly shaped bucking hole) and go for either the FG-Airsoft or the ProWin model.
  • A spare nozzle; in your case an adjustable FG-Airsoft one or the 1J version due to your FPS-related concerns. If fps are not an issue and you decide to go for the metal ProWin nozzle, keep in mind that this will require you to mod your carrier, as the metal nozzle will break off the tabs on the carrier that are holding the nozzle in the carrier. It's not a big deal to fix and the mod can be made even after the damage is done. In any case, do not use a metal nozzle with a plastic hop-up unit.
  • A couple of spare feed lips for the magazines. This might not be necessary in your case if you're going for the 5.45mm type 74 mags, as they are not as prone to the out of the box feeding issues that require you to file on the feed lips. If you're going to get some 7.62mm type 47 mags, do also get a spare set of feed lips per mag.
  • Even if you're not going to go for upgrades like a precision barrel or an r-hop right away, I'd recommend you to at least replace the stock hop-up rubber - for example with a Maple Leaf Monster/Diamond one.
  • This is not a must, but If you want to be extra careful, you can also get a set of the (nozzle and mag) o-rings at Samoon (or at the hardware store).

Okay, thank you very much so, looking at this, this is what I'm looking at:

GHK AK74u - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p9823_GHK-GKS74UN--AKS74UN--------------------.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

GHK AK74 Mags - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p5598_GHK-GK74--AK74----------------------------------------------.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Samoon Enhanced Blowback Kit - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p8194_SAMOON-Enhanced-Blow-Back-Kit-For-GHK-AKM.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Hephaestus Steel Sear - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p11109_Hephaestus-Steel-AK-Sear-for-GHK-AK-Series----86--.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Prowin Hop Unit - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p11770_ProWin-Metal-Hop-Up-Chamber-for-GHK-AKM-GBB-Series.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Samoon 1J Bolt - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p9943_SAMOON-1-Joule-Bolt-for-GHK-GKM---GK74-GBBR.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

Spare Feed Lips - http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p11620_GHK-GKM---GK74-GBBR----------ae----11-2---Magazine-Feedlips--.html&XTCsid=6607c16fb3b8d80e1a81f935233ce46c

My only questions remains to be:

Does the GHK/Prowin Hop Unit use a normal M4 style hop rubber? Or a specific shape one like the WA series or VSR rubbers?

In what form would you prefer your sexual thank you?

There is no such thing as an M4 style hop rubber :) It uses standard AEG rubbers, I've been having great success with the Maple Leaf 65 Deg.

Also seeing as your in the UK don't forget to add the cost of the various import fees, tax on top and the £13.50 PF fee. When I bought my AKM a few months ago it turned out to be considerably cheaper buying the gun and mags in the UK then importing all the small bits. 

Plus I ordered from Milspec who I am pretty sure installed the 1J nozzle in as standard, as my GHK was doing 330 on the dot. 

• Like 1

There is no such thing as an M4 style hop rubber :) It uses standard AEG rubbers, I've been having great success with the Maple Leaf 65 Deg.

Also seeing as your in the UK don't forget to add the cost of the various import fees, tax on top and the £13.50 PF fee. When I bought my AKM a few months ago it turned out to be considerably cheaper buying the gun and mags in the UK then importing all the small bits. 

Plus I ordered from Milspec who I am pretty sure installed the 1J nozzle in as standard, as my GHK was doing 330 on the dot. 

You knew what I meant :P

As for the import thing, I thought about it, but Kic has the rifle for £250, so plus £35 postage is £285 + 20% vat = £342 so about £50 cheaper than Milspec at the moment (UPS don't charge an import fee).

As for the 1J nozzle I'll have to ask them as their website says "GHK rifles can be a little powerful so we recommend the fitting of the FG-Airsoft adjustable nozzle and then you can take this rather distinctive weapon into any scenario you like." plus at the bottom it says that the nozzle is at extra cost. I don't know if this means they have already fitted the 1J and you can have the FG as well or that they haven't fitted anything?

• Like 1

This is true.... Guess mine just sits happy at 330 then!

While the rifle postage is £35 the mags are not light! I would get them to give you a full quote including everything. Also bare in mind the exchange rate given by XE will not be the same as the Paypal/Bank rate usually a few points off which will change the price as well.

Either way £35 shipping is excellent! Never had anything priced so cheaply! 

Edited by bankz5152

This is true.... Guess mine just sits happy at 330 then!

While the rifle postage is £35 the mags are not light! I would get them to give you a full quote including everything. Also bare in mind the exchange rate given by XE will not be the same as the Paypal/Bank rate usually a few points off which will change the price as well.

Either way £35 shipping is excellent! Never had anything priced so cheaply!

Yh the dude over at Kic is very accommodating, but that was for only the rifle, I'll ask how much with mags as if the difference is less than £35 it's not worth the extra time.

You knew what I meant :P

As for the import thing, I thought about it, but Kic has the rifle for £250, so plus £35 postage is £285 + 20% vat = £342 so about £50 cheaper than Milspec at the moment (UPS don't charge an import fee).

As for the 1J nozzle I'll have to ask them as their website says "GHK rifles can be a little powerful so we recommend the fitting of the FG-Airsoft adjustable nozzle and then you can take this rather distinctive weapon into any scenario you like." plus at the bottom it says that the nozzle is at extra cost. I don't know if this means they have already fitted the 1J and you can have the FG as well or that they haven't fitted anything?

Your maths is a bit up the creek there chap, you forgot the 5% duty paid on items plus shipping before it's compounded by VAT, and UPS certainly do charge a customs clearance fee. I've lost count how much they've had off me in total!

All in all, that £250 rifle will end up costing a total of £359.1 (with Duty and VAT paid), and either £11 or £13.40 (it's one of those two figures, but I can't be arsed to dig through my files) on top - so at the very least you'll be paying £370.10 - so you're saving about 30 quid, which is naff all when you consider that if it's DOA or goes pop in the first few months of ownership you can send it back if it's purchased in the UK. 

• Like 1

Your maths is a bit up the creek there chap, you forgot the 5% duty paid on items plus shipping before it's compounded by VAT, and UPS certainly do charge a customs clearance fee. I've lost count how much they've had off me in total!

All in all, that £250 rifle will end up costing a total of £359.1 (with Duty and VAT paid), and either £11 or £13.40 (it's one of those two figures, but I can't be arsed to dig through my files) on top - so at the very least you'll be paying £370.10 - so you're saving about 30 quid, which is naff all when you consider that if it's DOA or goes pop in the first few months of ownership you can send it back if it's purchased in the UK. 

Damn, well then it looks like I will be ordering from the UK! The only tough part is that I have just been offered a new WE 416 with NPAS for £200, so do I got AK or AR?

If you don't have a preference in terms of the platform (AK vs AR) and if you're willing to spend the extra cash, I'd argue that you'll definitely get the better gun with the GHK.
I'm obviously biased as I like this platform quite a bit, but even going by objective criteria, the WEs I've had the chance to get my hands on so far (M4, SCAR) couldn't really hold their own against the GHK AK series in terms of performance (gas efficiency, cooldown and cold weather performance) as well as quality (LCT steel receiver, tank-like build).

In the end, the question is still a subjective one and so is most of what I can provide as an answer, but I guess I'd put it like this: If you're looking for just another gun to add to your collection that would be something you'd use from time to time when you feel like it, consider the WE. But if you're looking for a gun that is a worthwhile platform for continuous upgrades and that you can use as your reliably primary even in colder climates, go for the GHK.

Edited by Hetzer
  • Like 2