Remove the 100 post limit on sales threads

I'm all for keeping it if it stops it from getting to 0.000000001% similar ti the hooting baboons on zeron sales threads.

I've been bitten on there a few times and will not use that forum again.

Happy with this places rules :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not fond of that, I like the 100 posts rule, a million times less likely to be a scammer or an asshat. Never had a bad deal on Arnies but had many on Zin even with their system.   A lot of people co

If someone doesn't want to hang around long enough just because they can't sell anything, I wonder just how valuable the content of their conversations are? Traffic slows down, sure, but wanting voice

Unknown newb buys rif on here, say an AEG.   Pays on time, receives RIF.   Guts said RIF and puts chinese bits back in.   Claims refund by PayPal   PayPal sides with buyer.   Seller is out

I understand and agree with some kind of limitation, but I am in the same spot - I am somewhere in 30's of posts and it could take me a year or more to get to 100th. There are really many discussions I could join going on. Lowering the cap to 50 seems more reasonable to me (obviously :)). Or at least hearing what should be the propper length of time to try a member out.

Edited by Faire

Given the overall drop in traffic here, I'm still in favour of at least lowering the cap.

I completely agree to be honest, I think a drop to 50 posts would be reasonable to try and create a bit more of a draw to forums, especially now there is a trend to have specific facebook owners groups for different guns and people on forums direct others to them for info now rather than making use of the forums they're already on...

As you said earlier in the thread, the blatant spammers (scammers?) have always been easy to spot, all the ones that come to mind were spotted before they even got to 50 posts and were the classic sign up, post, take money then run sort which is what the limit was there to stop. The rule has worked well for what it was intended to do and at the time seemed a suitable limit but times have changed and it probably should change a bit too, but I wouldn't want to see it being done away with altogether.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

as many have said here i think 100 is too much ( obviously as im not there yet ;) ) but regularly frequent the forum usually for advice or news but will only post something if i have something useful to contribute so will take me a long time to reach that however people that post useless waffle or just quote a previous post and agree will reach it in no time.

• Like 2

I completely agree to be honest, I think a drop to 50 posts would be reasonable to try and create a bit more of a draw to forums, especially now there is a trend to have specific facebook owners groups for different guns and people on forums direct others to them for info now rather than making use of the forums they're already on...

As you said earlier in the thread, the blatant spammers (scammers?) have always been easy to spot, all the ones that come to mind were spotted before they even got to 50 posts and were the classic sign up, post, take money then run sort which is what the limit was there to stop. The rule has worked well for what it was intended to do and at the time seemed a suitable limit but times have changed and it probably should change a bit too, but I wouldn't want to see it being done away with altogether.

Could you look into for making a special group for those who want to be opted out of ALL sales related things?

Thank you :).

Could you look into for making a special group for those who want to be opted out of ALL sales related things?

Thank you :).

I can't, that's an admin job, not a moderator job so one for Arnie to look at. I suspect the amount of people who don't want any sales section access are a tiny minority though so it may well be simpler to set your post count to 0 or negative so you no longer see anything from those sections.

I came here to buy 2nd hand stuff (mostly magazines), but finding meaningful places to contribute when you're low on knowledge (and likely to tread the line very thinly saying things which may not be entirely accurate), but high enough that you don't need to constantly ask questions is quite hard - other than in off topic areas where it feels more like spamming than social chatter.

Edited by Sacarathe
  • 1 month later...

Since May, I have made a concerted effort to post on Arnies.   Now,  if this post counts,  I will hit the 100.    

I am expecting fireworks, a fanfare  and sparkly things to fall from the sky.  A dancing girl will come in and present me with the key to the mythical land that are the arnies classifieds.

Or maybe not, lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope people don't mind me putting my 2pence in lol..

I too quite like the 100 post rule,, as you can see I'm new to the forum and after joining found out about the 100 post rule, which I have now passed woo-hoo lol.

But I too would much rather buy from an active member even if not very active like myself, I'm a mod on umarexboysclub so most my time is spent there, but come on here to chat and get knowledgeable airsoft advice too, I know everyone is not the same but I would not buy from someone online with hardly any posts it's far to easy nowadays to get ripped off, either buy false advertising from people or even not receiveing the goods at all. So I like this rule for the purpose of selling, and if people don't want to stick around because they don't want to put the time in to the forum, the forum is not really going to miss those people anyway to be honest, lol hope that didn't sound too rude..

Happy shooting all. :)

ATB Marc

I'm still in two minds about this. We used to have problems in the sales section until the 100 limit came along and I've not heard of any issues since (There probably have been some, but significantly fewer). But the trend of Facebook'softers who don't want to put in the effort of joining a community like a forum for long enough is going to, and has been, strangling the forum of new members.

Keeping it protects us, but it also turns us into the internet equivalent of a gated community.

Removing it completely gives us the influx of new airsoft proletariat and the opportunity to grow again.

(obviously I'm overthinking this)

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's the responsibility of the forum to police transactions between members. Yes, it is undesirable to know that potential scammers might join Arnie's to take advantage of people, but to what degree was scamming a problem in the past? Is the value gained by keeping out a minimal number of scammers worth more than value that would be gained by attracting new members via the commerce section?

My local forum was forced to hop from (free) Proboards to a privately funded server due to Proboards' restrictive ToS and our current board has yet to recover. The commerce section is what brings people in, but it's the content that gets them to stay around. Arnie's has great content, but isn't incentivizing people to join by using a popular and active commerce section.

Edited by Gigueand
  • Like 1

If you look at the twats on zeroin, the 100 post rule here makes it all worthwhile.

I remember obtaining 100 posts here back in the day and feeling I had earned it.

It's a good thing, a sense of accomplishment and I truly feel it should be kept.

Keeps the riff-raff out, what...

• Like 2

Ah, the good ol' days. They're gone though. And I feel like a Forum Chairsofter that doesn't want to join the Facebook Chairsofters...

I'd love a restart of a knowledge base.

People don't experiment as much anymore. In my case I never have: no money nor a secluded range to test it.

I believe the Northern part of the EU is a fairly untapped knowlegde source. Knowledge base = market opportunity.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I'm in favour of keeping the current system but also in reducing the post count required for sales forum access, maybe even down to 25 posts.

Look at it this way, when the forum was more active there were more opportunities for someone to join in a discussion and hit that 100 without spamming once, now it's quieter it's not quite so easy, even I find myself posting less, although that might have more to do with working 7 days a week at the moment ;)

I like the idea of posting a photo with some particular detail in it, but that requires members to report anything that breaks the forum rules and moderators to be able to react quickly, the 100 post count rule almost sorts itself out and doesn't require such fast action from us mods who seem to be rather busier these days anyway.

• Like 1