The best sniper out of the box is?

EOL

Hi all!

Somewhat new to sniping so id like to ask, what sniper could be the best straight out of the box. Im very sorry if this question have been asked a thousand times already.

Regards EOL

For a Spring Bolt Action,the Tokyo Marui VSR Gspec and Pro are good enough.

Hop up Units are excellent quality,Didn't even bother shimming mine since the tolerances are so tight on it. You can do a massive amount of hop up mods on it to improve accuracy in little ways. Stock barrel on the Gspec is a 6.05 bore I believe,and It's a pretty well made barrel too.

Out of the box performance on the hop is good,you can lift .28s to 50m effectively. Stock hop up rubber seals decently,usually I see +/- 7 FPS variables on Gspecs. 

Also very simply designed,easy and quick to take apart which is handy when tuning the gun. Rock solid construction,Just last week at OP Open shield at bellurgan park It saved me from falling into a marsh,caught me withstood my body weight when the gun was caught on a branch. 

Only low quality stuff on It I'd say is the piston and trigger mech,they reek of cost cutting. But pistons and sears are cheap and easy to replace. Another pain is the cylinder pin you must drill out to get into the guts but It's 5 minutes of work. The hop up unit adjustment mechanism also is not too great by design but Marui's good QC keeps it in check. The issue is that it could apply hop up pressure unevenly. 

Otherwise the Gspecs are cracking wee guns,love them for all their little flaws and niggles.

As good as the TM is, if not the best, an out of the box gun will fail to qualify as a sniper rifle by many peoples standards. It simply will not give you the extended range proper tuning will give and that usually entails swapping out one or two parts minimum and getting your hands dirty in the process.

Sorry to interrupt the fun, but...

OP: Since it is impossible to get anything truly phenomenal OOTB, the next best thing is to purchase a used pre-upgraded sniper rifle in great condition. Even better is purchasing said used rifle for well under what it is worth, like a completely Laylax upgraded Maruzen L96 for $430 when it is easily worth $600+ for the condition it is in.

http://www.chesapeakeairsoftassociation.com/forum/topics/original-maruzen-l96-aps2-type-96-fully-customized-airsoft-sniper

I'm on the same MilSim team as the seller. I've held the gun and it is in great condition. I personally think the seller is a little nuts to be asking such a low price, but it is his gun to sell.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny that this answer depends on the country you are in.

Here are the guns I have tuned and used on the field:

Snow wolf BAR

JG BAR

WELL L96

Maruzen L96

Maruzen APS2

Marui PSG1

Marui G3SG1

KART Mk14 EBR Long barrel

Marui M14

CYMA M14

Kart M14

Tanaka KAR98K

Tanaka M24

Tanaka M700

KJ M700

KJ M700 police

Snow wolf M24

Snow wolf M99

Snow wolf M82

G&G M14 wood stock

G&G GR25

CA M14 scout

CA G3

Real Sword SVD

Out of the box, the old school First gen Tanaka KAR98K would beat the VSR hands down, only because the Kar98K has power and a solid outer barrel. 

VSR can output at a consistent power level, but the Tanaka KAR98K had flat hop and a rigid outer barrel that the inner barrel fits perfectly within, which the VSR doesn't have.  And having seen some ridiculous shots from a KAR98K getting to the outright unbelievable realm, I would take the KAR98K.  Issue is that power level may be over your country's FPS limit.

Aside from that, there isn't really that many options.  Gas is good for light bolt pull, but inconsistent due to gas being dependent on ambient temperature and also oil in the gas building up in the barrel and affecting accuracy.  Best bet is spring or AEG.  Downside with spring systems is that the vibration from the piston and cylinder does affect accuracy by causing oscillation/whip on the inner barrel (most spring guns have outer barrels which aren't in contact with the inner barrels).  Some manufacturers use spacers to dampen oscillations but also causes the barrel to bend, also affecting accuracy.

Notable good OOTB spring rifles:  Snow wolf M24, JG BAR, Marui VSR for low FPS countries.

The other option are electrics, since the mechbox takes most of the vibration from a relatively light piston, the barrel whip effect is minimised.  But most players don't see AEGs as a good platform as there is no feedback like a trigger release, and no recoil.  The other thing is that semi-auto makes "sniping" all that much easier :P

Some decent AEGs for out of the box "sniping" are:  Real Sword SVD, Marui and G&G M14s.  But these are traditionally not considered "sniper rifles".

However given enough time and effort for analysis most AEG platforms can achieve very similar accuracy out to range. Some need less effort than others.

To be honest, VSRs are over rated.

Archived