WE MP5k "Apache" - Initial Impressions.

ROF is a strange one in airsoft.

One factor is the blowback velocity, which is dependent on piston/cylinder volume, bolt weight, gas velocity as well as gas output.  

The other factor is the return spring tension.  And there can be two return springs.  One is the spring that returns the bolt carrier, the other one is the buffer spring which can aid in the return.

This is assuming the bolt carrier hit the buffer at the rear.

In real steel, you require a HEAVY spring to keep the bolt closed before the bullet exits the barrel, particularly if the SMG has a short body and by doing that you increase the return speed.  You COULD lengthen the body and so the BCG never hits the rear, and hence lowering the ROF.

In airsoft If you have two return springs, and the bolt carrier hits the rear, it may be better to LIGHTEN the bolt carrier return spring rather than to increase tension on that spring.  The lighter the BCG return spring, the faster the blowback action would be, so it would hit the buffer quicker and faster, and would be hitting the buffer return spring fast enough to store more energy for a more forceful return.   It would also be more gas efficient.

I always lighten the bolt carrier return spring, as it creates more efficient systems and better blowback.

But another thing to consider, shorter springs doesn't mean less power.  I have a very short spring I got out of my A&K MGs, consistently giving more power than the longer M120s.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness Bankz, who took a leak in your Cheerios? No need to be condescending and rude when people ask questions. The vast majority of other airsoft forums are dead or dying, in part due to snarky,

I want to show my WE MP5. I managed to fit a RS hand guard and rear stock + B&T rail mount.

Hope you guys don't mind, I wrote up a little something about my WE MP5A3 Apache when I got it this week. Wall of text and photos incoming:      Ever since WE announced that they were making a gasbl

Posted Images

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to try this, I tried out my real steel slither stock on my WE to see if it fits, and it does not. The handgrip section on the WE is a fraction too wide and will not slot in. It does however fit on the vfc model with only a small modification needed to the buffer spring. It is a shame as I would have liked the slither stock for my WE, so if anyone has a spare one knocking about, or wants to swap for an a4 solid stock, hit me up.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The valves are the same as the normal WE pistol valves, but I doubt a DH mod would go well on the MP5 magazines, they are nowhere near as well designed or robust as GHK magazines are but I reckon they'd at least leak before blowing themselves apart.

1 hour ago, Rob15 said:

The valves are the same as the normal WE pistol valves, but I doubt a DH mod would go well on the MP5 magazines, they are nowhere near as well designed or robust as GHK magazines are but I reckon they'd at least leak before blowing themselves apart.

The 40 round open front ones would seem to be the best candidate as they are a solid piece. I plan on getting the z-parts steel FCG as well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot that can go wrong. Has anyone had any problems with internals going bust yet?

Edit: I want to do the same thing with a Guarder G17

Edited by Wingly_Actual

This might not necessarily apply but someone's WE M4 mag exploded inside a car from being left in the sun filled with green gas, resulted in a damaged windscreen, there was a video of it on YouTube if I recall correctly. The question is, how much stronger is the MP5 mags? Also, how does the pressure of CO2, 850psi in room temperature, compared to propane under the sun?

At 70c°, which is pretty hot, the pressure is only 360 PSI, less than half of CO2, probably similar to what's inside a hot car yet a WE mag exploded, so I wouldn't want to bet my fingers on this, but if you have facility to safely test the failure point of this magazine, like how Devilhunter had hydro tested his experiments, then sure, but I certainly wouldn't just "go for it" and see what happens... 

You could argue solid piece is actually worse, three piece design means there are weak points at the join, perhaps resulting in bulging in the joints (thus relatively safe leak), where as a solid piece only has one way to fail if the valve doesn't first. 

• Like 1

I have a question now these have been out for a good while.

I had the kurtz model, and eventually the hop gave out. Adjustment didn’t do anything, and didn’t seem fixable from what I remember. I read a guide on how to swap out the parts for TM style rubber and barrel, but the guide was incorrect in a couple of places which made the swap not possible.

Are they still using their proprietary rubber and barrel, and how have other people’s units and rubbers held out?

If i order a mp5 a3, and since im in the U.S. this will require it be shipped with the orange tip (orange front sight) is this part still metal or is it plastic? in which case i would need to order a front metal sight. Also, is there a steel charging handle upgrade out there? Im wondering how sturdy the pot metal stock one is.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, Got Wood? said:

I have a question now these have been out for a good while.

I had the kurtz model, and eventually the hop gave out. Adjustment didn’t do anything, and didn’t seem fixable from what I remember. I read a guide on how to swap out the parts for TM style rubber and barrel, but the guide was incorrect in a couple of places which made the swap not possible.

Are they still using their proprietary rubber and barrel, and how have other people’s units and rubbers held out?

I swapped my full size MP5 hop and barrel out and there was no issue - the only thing is you need to switch both the barrel and hop up rubber at the same time as the new WE cut has different internal dimensions, even though the external dimensions are the same as the usual TM/WE.

I'd recommend a MapleLeaf Crazy Jet barrel and a 50 deg Super bucking.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, Got Wood? said:

Thanks Dark.

I tried that, if memory serves the hip unit itself had protruding legs for the barrel to hold it still. An extra pair over the TM, which made a barrel change not possible?

Maple Leaf Crazy Jet barrels are designed to fit WE GBBs and TM GBBs, they have the extra cuts.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, AMPZ28 said:

If i order a mp5 a3, and since im in the U.S. this will require it be shipped with the orange tip (orange front sight) is this part still metal or is it plastic? in which case i would need to order a front metal sight. Also, is there a steel charging handle upgrade out there? Im wondering how sturdy the pot metal stock one is.

Front sight is metal as is the 3 lug muzzle. You can either get the muzzle painted or have an orange plastic pdw flash hider put on.

The charging handle itself is zinc alloy but AFAIK the shaft running through it which comes into contact with the charging handle tube is steel. 

• 2 months later...

Looking into the MP5K version, there are a lot of different numbers listed as to how many rounds the shorter K mags actually hold.
I've seen the K advertised as coming with either a 26 round mag, or a 15 round mag (and KYAirsoft actually says 20!).

Have there been two different versions released, ie an updated MP5K since the initial 26 round mag, but now with a newer 15 round mag?

Spare K mags appear mostly listed on several websites as only being 15 rounds, so are there 2 different versions of the K mag? Anybody bought any recently? How many do they actually hold?

I'm aware of the longer 45 round open front and 30 round closed front mags.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys, first post from a long time lurker here.

Well, I got into cheap airsoft with my buddies over the lockdowns (on private property, don't snitch!). Now I'm ready to get a "real" gun so we can do some arena games once everything's back to normal. 

This seems like the perfect gun for CQB, so I'd also appreciate any newer advice, updates or reviews on the gun :)

I also looked through some Airsoft MP5 lists online and some of the cheaper ones also seem like solid guns.

But tbh I kinda trust forums and actual user discussions more.

Edited by alexd22