Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

aznriptide859

http://www.cosmosontv.com/?gclid=CJ2exoP2q70CFchFMgod8WYAvA

Please tell me you guys are watching this. It's a fantastic follow up to Carl Sagan's Cosmos back in the 80's. Although I haven't watched the original series itself, Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an excellent presenter; he explains everything simply enough to where the average person can understand the concepts easily, while also being specific enough to teach more scientifically-inclined persons new knowledge.

Definitely a must watch for ANYONE - it's time this world got a good dose of scientific knowledge. What do you guys who're watching think about it?

I am sorry but *fruitcage* off.

Evolution is scientific fact.

Creationism is a poor quality story that was believed by idiots back in the days when we thought the King of England was God's representative on Earth.

It has no place anywhere, schools, television, museums, anywhere. When will people stop trying to push moronic, outdated attitudes against something that has been proven time and time again.

Plus also don't they have about twenty public local Christian channels to spout they mind numbing in the USA anyway, or have they realised no-one with an IQ in double figures actually watches them?

'FireKnife'

Every single person in Europe as it stands now is related to Charlemagne.

Doesn't mean we all came from a single person as Christians have stated.

What makes me laugh is when you say to such a person 'but we clearly evolved' and they come back with 'yes but that evolution was from two same templates, man and woman, that God created'.

Don't change your storytime BS to try and explain scientific fact. This really gets my back up when certain people just can't accept that they believe in something that is wrong yet make things up just to try and tie it into to an actual proven fact. A fact is a fact, religion is an opinion based on a story that has no grounds in reality bar the most basic of things (hint, it involves people and that is about it).

'FireKnife'

I saw a brilliant counter arguement for gay married couples having adopted kids - went along the lines of (was more eloquent and wordy):

In response to a twitter post of gay adoption:

"I disagree with children being raised by married couples, forcing beliefs and practices on them before they have a choice."

In response to above:

"I disagree with children being raised by groups who force beliefs and practices on them before they have a choice."

There's an excellent idea NGT says in the 3rd episode, about how the explanation of "why things are" with science doesn't necessarily answer just the question - it always RAISES more questions up. Humans are curious by nature, so therefore we naturally wonder why things are, where we come from, and where we'll be. The creationist theory as he puts it seems like a "dead-end"; it explains things just because "that's the way they are". Where's the fun in that? Science is a never ending quest, and that's how it should be.

Good point, we are probably never going to know the whole story about our universe and the many potential billions of stars and galaxies that exist beyond it.

To just sum it all up as the work of a 'divine being' to me feels like a cop out and a full stop on the whole thing.

Though this did make me think of this:

This sums it all up for me.

'FireKnife'

Fundamentalist religion is the bane of my existence, but it seems to be the primary type of religion present in the US.

Part of the issue with science in the eye of the public in the US is that they(our average person) don't realize that there usually isn't one definitive answer for a question, and that the answers science comes up with are subject to paradigms, technological boundaries, and the general knowledge of the field (I find this funny as Christianity has changed much the same way even in recent history). As one thing changes the answer to a question may as well, and people just can't deal with that. If it was wrong once, it can be wrong again. But then again, that is the point of science, to expand knowledge through constant trial and error, and you can't always be right.

Evolution is a prime example the theory Darwin and Huxley came up with in the mid 1800s is very different from the modern synthesis of evolution, we now understand environmental pressures are not the only things forcing evolution, genetic bottlenecks, random mutation, and domestication can drive a change that may not necessarily represent natural selection in the way Darwin saw it.

The series is however hard on religion, very anti-god, and especially as it is broadcast on a ultra-conservative network I can see this causing an uproar with viewers. 

Surely if Sceince has to present creationism as an alternative to be fair doesn't that mean evolution and the big bang need to be included in the bible..? just to be fair...

If the Bible was fair Jesus would be stated as being of middle eastern colour and descent and Romans / Egyptians would be the villains and the heroes :P.

This is just a small example of the hypocricy featured in 'the good book'.

'FireKnife'

Actually looking at it as a piece of fictional literature (which it is, morals or not) it isn't even up there with the likes of Dickens, Hardy or other classic works.

Heck I have seen better passages when we did that game of ''who can laugh the longest at Fifty Shades of Grey''. At least the sodomy in that was something.

Anyway I am tempted now just to watch this show, I do have a passing interest in the universe as I like the unknown and potential for mystery and encounters that the universe brings. Too bad we are unlikely to encounter a real, non-microscopic alien species in my lifetime :(.

'FireKnife'

Anyway I am tempted now just to watch this show, I do have a passing interest in the universe as I like the unknown and potential for mystery and encounters that the universe brings. Too bad we are unlikely to encounter a real, non-microscopic alien species in my lifetime :(.

'FireKnife'

It depends entirely on whether god decides to create some for us or not.... (notice small g) :D

If the Bible states Jesus is real, and it's the only proof, the Qu'Ran states Mohammed is real, and it's the only proof..

Does that mean the Mr Tickle is real?

By that logic everything that appears in any fictional book is real so get to singing:

'FireKnife'

Ep4: The animations still stun and amaze me - absolute credit needs to be given to Seth MacFarlane's team for the incredible art. NGT also probably just presented the easiest and most straightforward explanation of Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Sundays can seriously not come fast enough. MOAR.

Archived