BTC Spectre FET For Next-Gen V2 Gearbox Initial Impression

This isn't a full review, but an initial impression of the next-gen BTC Spectre FET, the unit is installed in a next-gen SOPMOD that has been front wired, I will on a later date do a video of all the features, but this should show the thing we care most about (I think), which is the improvement of the trigger response. 

The unit arrives in the stylish black box as expected from all BTC products.

DSC04304.jpg

For more / better images of the actual unit, visit BTC's official website for them, as mine would look identical.

The video below shows the trigger response of my gun BEFORE installing the unit, I won't go into too much detail of the spec of my gun as it's mainly about the difference before and after, the battery used is a 1300mah 7.4v twin leaf lipo as you can see.

As you can see, it doesn't like spamming. I should also note that the gun has been front-wired, which added to the installation time as this unit was specifically designed to be rear-wired, it comes with deans and an adapter from deans to tamiya, for those who wish to use the quick change system, you'd have to do a little soldering. If your gun is front wired like mine, then you'd have to look into either switching out the entire motor-to-battery red wire to a longer one, or extending the existing one (which is what I did because I'm lazy). 

DSC04306.jpg

The unit felt pretty robust, so it allowed me to install it quickly without worrying about breaking something, the whole of the mechanical trigger unit as well as the cut off lever were completely removed, and I had to give it a little extra time to twist the wire to the right places to allow the gun to be front wired, something that shouldn't concern most people. Here's the test of the unit after installation, same gun, same battery, same everything, the improvement is hugely noticeable, the trigger pull distance has been more than halved, it's very impressive. 

For those who care, I should also note that even with the extra wire for the FET, it has not affected the bolt stop mechanism, it requires careful positioning, but it can be done.

DSC04307.jpg

Here's the bolt stop test:

I'll follow it up with more information on a later date, thanks! The wait has been well worth it, great job BTC. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This isn't a full review, but an initial impression of the next-gen BTC Spectre FET, the unit is installed in a next-gen SOPMOD that has been front wired, I will on a later date do a video of all the

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know

Puresilver, You may want to go down the same route i have with that recoil weight. Ditch the self tapping screws in the gearbox, re-thread the holes and fit machine screws with a small amount of locti

Looks good in there, have been pleased with the spectre in my g&g. Would imagine that & a sopmod is a winner! Just wish you could set the hydrid burst mode to have different burst rates. I found I was doing mostly double taps, so that would be my preferred option before it ramps up to full auto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any hint as to a release date for these yet?

@PureSilver - have you had a chance to install yours yet? Everything seems promising thus far, but a bit more pr0n wouldn't go amiss!

PureSilver's waiting for his lower receiver to be engraved before installing the Spectre so that it can all get built in one go.

If you guys are installing it in the rear, make your life a lot easier by soldering the signal wire and the red battery wire together so when you place it on the buffer tube, it'll fit properly!

Absolutely right! Anyone installing one of these should heed this advice and save themselves a hell of a lot of trouble!

Edited by Aod
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Because it hasn't been released yet. The "first batch" was not intended for public sale, it was just a few dozen units sent out to testers for feedback. 

Use the "notify me" button to add your email to the notification list and they'll let you know when it's officially released.

Quick update on a game I had on Sunday (unfortunately no footage was allowed due to ministry of defence facility), it was working flawlessly, bolt stop kicked in on the last shot as it should every time, trigger response was evidently great, and since most of the day ended up being a semi-only game, some people had shouted "SEMI ONLY!" when I had leaned out to lay covering fire as my team moved, and I was on semi. It's also worth noting that it was very rainy and I was mostly outside, I was a little worried to begin with, but it seems like even on a heavily rainy day the FET won't be exposed to water under normal use. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know how he gets on...

is it higher than 400FPS?

is it higher than 400FPS?

I hope not - I won't be able to use it anywhere if it is!

I can pretty much hear you unzipping your pants ready to get your e peen out

Everyone knows living on baked beans to feed your Echigoya habit is the best way to impress people over the internet.

I can pretty much hear you unzipping your pants ready to get your e peen out

Well, I don't have a TM EBBR, so I only asked out of interest.

But rest assured I will keep Victorian jokes at bay.

Edited by NeoVeNoM