BTC Spectre FET For Next-Gen V2 Gearbox Initial Impression

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This isn't a full review, but an initial impression of the next-gen BTC Spectre FET, the unit is installed in a next-gen SOPMOD that has been front wired, I will on a later date do a video of all the

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know

Puresilver, You may want to go down the same route i have with that recoil weight. Ditch the self tapping screws in the gearbox, re-thread the holes and fit machine screws with a small amount of locti

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know how he gets on...

I was just visiting yesterday and indeed confirmed the above, a juicy parts list fit to make anyone's head spin... my plan to kidnap the finished article is underway... ahem, did I say that out loud...? 

• Like 2

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know how he gets on...

:D

I deliver;

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.

PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had already been upgraded with the following:

Prometheus Original Torque Gears

Prometheus Bushings

Prometheus Piston

Prometheus Pistonhead

Prometheus Cylinder

Prometheus Cylinderhead

Prometheus Nozzle

Prometheus Spring Guide

Prometheus Hard Selector Plate

Laylax lower receiver

VFC M4 Pistol Grip

Airsoft Research Syndicate CNC Buffer Tube

Eagle6 M90 mainspring

Eagle6 Enhanced recoil weight spring

You may be wondering what, at that point, was still stock? The answer, not much. The Gearbox casing, some springs/levers, the trigger, the Tappet plate (can you even get aftermarket ones?), the motor, the wiring and switchblock and lastly the recoil weight were still Marui parts.

The gearbox looked like this. I think it's a tidy looking setup:

Zxagqbl.jpg

Then, PureSilver went and dropped off some goodies for me.

BTC SPECTRE pre-release MOSFET for NextGen V2:

s3dSFnF.jpg

Custom-made, solid-brass recoil weight:

ySgNOTS.jpg

G&P M170S Devil Jet Highspeed-Hightorque Motor:

lKI0D2h.jpg

Ooooh, this is ever so fun. Fits in there like a glove;

QmZE7cC.jpg

Some have called into query the power-supply wire for the Spectre's computer board taking up too much space in the M4s, which it does.

My solution:

F3CEdNY.jpg

I also recently discovered a new drink, which is now my "Engineering Fuel of Choice". It's Aod-Approved, buy some today!

ConBUgw.jpg

Much time later, it gives me substantial pleasure to demonstrate this monster;

Please note that in these videos, the SPECTRE has already been adjusted to reduce the RoF and the pre-cocking has been set to what I think is the most appropriate level.

These videos were shot this afternoon, battery is a 7.4V 2200mAh 35C "Giant Power" LiPo.

An utterly fantastic feature that I discovered; When the SPECTRE detects the mag-empty sensor has been tripped, it stops the motor with maximum active-breaking and no pre-cocking, which means that the piston is fully-forward, in fact the sector gear doesn't even engage the piston at all. This means that after a days play, you don't need to worry about your precompressed spring weakening over time or causing other issues - simply stick your finger into the magwel, push the latch up and rest easy knowing that everything is at the lowest possible stress level.

is it higher than 400FPS?

It's only a spring-change (and perhaps some Sorbo?) away from 400, 450, 500FPS if PureSilver wanted. Edited by Aod
  • Like 2

The guy behind BTC is generally pretty good with customer support, his reputation on this forum is good, he's known to replace units for people free of charge when it went wrong, but judging by my experience with the BTC Chimera v3 and the Spectre next-gen v2, his products don't generally go wrong. 

Edited by blobface

Heres what i was using, sadly not mine though!

Gearbox machined to take 6mm bushings. systema high torque hardened steel bushings

Prometheus Nozzle, Cylinder and piston head, Piston.

Prometheus double torque gear set and spring guide, Fire selector. TM tappet plate. Prometheus barrel 6.01 450mm and soft nub, with firefly hop.

Eagle6 M90 spring, Trimmed.

Brass recoil weight.

Yeah, I'm putting a new inner barrel and the Firefly hop-up nub on the list. Trying to decide between a tightbore and a widebore; guess we'll see what Aod recommends! You'll have to tell our mutual friend that the recoil is so fierce it's causing the gearbox screws to back out and the recoil weight to unscrew... Loctite ahoy!

Edited by PureSilver
  • Like 1

Tapped them all out to M3, If you need replacement screws drop me an email i will sort some out for you.

The only downside so far with fitting the spectre for someone was the positive wire which i also joined just outside the gearbox as it would not run through the stock tube. 

Operation and response is very nice.

• Like 1

I have radiused my 416 gearbox and put sorbo on my cylinder head(tough after about 35000+ shots the rubber on the back of the Magicbox Cylinder head came off and only noticed after I recently inspected the gearbox. it cause the spring to bent a little and lose power) but I still wish someone would made next gen CNC gearboxes. Mine has mostly Prometheus and Lonex parts with the cylinder and piston head being Magicbox and had no problem with them except for the one I just mentioned. I also have the custom heavy brass weight but instead of the gearbox I get the screws loosened after a while on my buffer tube(the two witch holds the stock lock on the tube).

Btw am I knowing it right that the Spectre will fit in the SCAR gearboxes too? I will be upgrading my SCAR-H too.

Puresilver, You may want to go down the same route i have with that recoil weight. Ditch the self tapping screws in the gearbox, re-thread the holes and fit machine screws with a small amount of loctite. They don't work loose then!

I have been considering this, possibly combined with lugnuts on the other side of the screw holes for even greater reinforcement. That, combined with some ol' Loctite 243 should do the job nicely.

In the interim, Loctite on its own will be acceptable.

Btw am I knowing it right that the Spectre will fit in the SCAR gearboxes too? I will be upgrading my SCAR-H too.

Yes it does from what I've seen, it should be 100% drop-in.

ive never really had that much trouble with gearbox screws loosening maybe the one at the top at the front, to be fair tm loctite it with the red stuff you just drip on after its screwed in so its not on the thread.  So any unwinding could well be because we have not replicated that when doing said gun upgrades.  its only ever the stock tube screws that seem to loosen and recent batches have seen them change from m2x4 to m2x6.... though that doesn't help though still rocking the m2x4.  I dont like loctiting them too much ive had several sent in which have been proper rounded off and mullered because of that.

is it much heavier.. its it really ? when i designed my upgraded recoil weight unit the increase by switching to brass was marginal..  you forget the tm unit uses a lead core to achieve its weight, it wasn't enough for me to follow through with the product.  and fyi i had a surus kit fitted to my own sopmod.

How many actually loctite the gearbox screws after working on there guns.. not many.. my point was if its unwinding and you haven't recreated what they do before shipping them from the factory, can you really blame a brass recoil weight for them unwinding.  They just dab a little red on the surface and it keeps them in check.

is it much heavier.. its it really ? when i designed my upgraded recoil weight unit the increase by switching to brass was marginal..  you forget the tm unit uses a lead core to achieve its weight, it wasn't enough for me to follow through with the product.  and fyi i had a surus kit fitted to my own sopmod.

How many actually loctite the gearbox screws after working on there guns.. not many.. my point was if its unwinding and you haven't recreated what they do before shipping them from the factory, can you really blame a brass recoil weight for them unwinding.  They just dab a little red on the surface and it keeps them in check.

I have been wondering this myself. Just feeling it in-hand, it does feel noticeably heavier. I will take it out and weigh it at some point soon.

TKO lists the completely built-up stock recoil weight (including the guide rod) at 293g, and the fully built-up SURUS (likewise) at 410g, so the SURUS and the custom weight I got from Mr. Currie are pretty close in weight. They're about 135% of the original's weight, which is a substantial bump in mass.