BTC Spectre FET For Next-Gen V2 Gearbox Initial Impression

Finally found time to re-wire my gun similar to how you did it Aod, makes much more sense, and I pushed it closer to the unit even more, now I don't have an extra wire running to the front through the hop unit for no reason. 

DSC04490.jpg

and yes... I burnt the black wire slightly... :P flesh wound! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This isn't a full review, but an initial impression of the next-gen BTC Spectre FET, the unit is installed in a next-gen SOPMOD that has been front wired, I will on a later date do a video of all the

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know

Puresilver, You may want to go down the same route i have with that recoil weight. Ditch the self tapping screws in the gearbox, re-thread the holes and fit machine screws with a small amount of locti

For what it's worth, I've also just installed the BigOut DTM onto my next-gen SCAR.

DSC04467.jpg

I haven't had the chance to compare features, but I can give a general impression of the installation process. 

First off, the BTC unit is much more robust, it doesn't have flimsy switches like the DTM (someone on my team accidentally broke it without forcing anything, you have to depress one of the buttons as you install the unit into the gearbox) A few initial impression is that the DTM requires much, much more work to install, as nothing comes soldered, there are a few 2x4mm solder pads which you have to connect your wires to, which isn't the most fun, secondly, as you can see, it still requires the mechanical cut-off lever which the BTC got rid off, and unlike the BTC where all the "loose" wires end up being sandwiched by the unit, everything is left quite exposed on the DTM. 

After the installation, what's instantly obvious is that the trigger pull of the BTC is much shorter, where as the DTM requires a small piece of circuit board material to be glued onto the trigger to shorten the pull by a tiny bit, work could be done to the trigger for similar effect the BTC provides by default, but one would have to be very careful of the angle of engagement to the switch as any misalignment could mean a broken switch. 

There's essentially no reason to pursue the DTM over the BTC even if they were both equally accessible, as it is more costly, more work, and physically more flimsy. Go BTC! :D

Edited by blobface
  • Like 1

*Another update on the DTM (aka another reason to get BTC)

Not sure if I got a faulty product or it's design flaw, but the bolt stop works very differently, BTC tells the gun to stop firing when the bolt stop is activated, so essentially the mechanical bolt stop system triggers a chain of events to press a button that stops the gun from doing anything until reactivation, the DTM however, does the opposite, a button is constantly pressed, and when that same mechanical bolt stop system triggers a few parts to move, it actually lifts the part that's touching the button, stopping the gun from working, which seems to be a system asking for trouble. Anyway, back on topic, the issue I've had is, the bolt stop only works when you first pull the trigger, so if the trigger is held down, it won't stop firing mid-press, which is completely fine for semi-auto, but pretty much useless if I'm the kind of person who holds the trigger down at a direction for 100 rounds, because the gun will continue firing until I let go the trigger and press again. I can't tell if this is a design flaw or lemon, but it does mean the SCAR will be a strictly semi / burst gun for me because of that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting the cable under the buffer tube castle nut is a pita without getting it a bit cut. With a cut Lonex 130 spring(410 FPS), Lonex gears and 11.1v lipo the rof is still in the 20s. Also if I half pull the trigger it sometimes shoots 2 times on semi.

That's bump firing. If you half pull the trigger to where the microswitch borders the "on" and "off" positions, the vibration from the recoil can cause you to unknowingly release and press the trigger again and double fire.

If you dont see any noticable increase in rof then it means you kept your original trigger contacts in good condition and the rof didnt drop.

Edited by mrezzy