BTC Spectre FET For Next-Gen V2 Gearbox Initial Impression

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This isn't a full review, but an initial impression of the next-gen BTC Spectre FET, the unit is installed in a next-gen SOPMOD that has been front wired, I will on a later date do a video of all the

Mine's gone to my personal Lucius Fox, Aod, for installation into what I'm confident in saying is probably the most highly upgraded Recoil Shock anywhere in the world. I daresay he'll let us all know

Puresilver, You may want to go down the same route i have with that recoil weight. Ditch the self tapping screws in the gearbox, re-thread the holes and fit machine screws with a small amount of locti

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, i've had my spectre for a few weeks now and haven't managed to get it into game unfortunately.

Having some strange issues though so thought i'd ask.

First game i took it to, was programmed as semi-3 rnd burst, was all fine at chrono, passed it to a mate and the burst had reverted to semi.  Reprogrammed back to how it was and left it for the morning, went back in the afternoon to use it and now i only had burst on both semi and full positions.

I've just taken it all apart and resoldered the wire inside the gearbox to help with space.  All back together and I'm still getting the same issue.  I will program as burst, might be ok for a bit then goes to semi only, then sometimes a burst, not always 3 rounds, then back to semi.  It also occasionally doesn't quite complete a full cycle, usually on the second/third shot of a burst and I can hear it winding back to decocked.  I did remove the anti-reversal latch.

Any ideas?  I hope i've just been a muppet and set it up wrong lol

RIghteo, found out the issue! 

I broke my tm lower body a while back.  So i'm now running the body from a clone Army sopmod.  Which is thinner.  Seems that the body isn't applying enough pressure to the promy selector i have to engage the buttom properly, so the gun thinks it's in semi most of the time.

The decocking is just as it's getting 2 1/2 shots or 1/2 a shot sometimes because it's confused about selector location i reckon.

On a "normal" v2 spectre, I had to put a bit of tape on the selector plate to ensure good contact on the micro switches, otherwise proper contact wasn't made and the modes didn't perform as expected. Same problem for you, but looks like the switch activates in a different way. A bit of DIY is needed on your part to work out where it's out of spec and see how to mod it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on Marui if they just do it like they did it with the SCARs which where only different on the outside, or they actually make it unique(it does have a bigger buffer tube and if the pictures are right it is the 16" version, which could use a longer cylinder perhaps), tough the gears and the trigger placement should be still the same. We should find out tomorrow on the Hobby Show.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently installed a Next-Gen Spectre into my SOPMOD and I'm having a problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with…

As soon as I connect the battery, irrespective of whether the trigger is pressed or not, the gun fires in full-auto until I pull the plugs apart again. The fire-selector can be set to any position, nothing makes a difference. It's as if the battery is wired straight to the motor.

I've had the gear-box apart again and can't see any obvious problems. All the relevant parts (trigger, sector gear/cut-off cam, selector plate, empty mag thingy) all seem to be working properly with the correct travel that presses the micro switches at the right point. The sector gear isn't catching on the circuit board, and the board itself doesn't show any signs of damage.

The fact that gun fires continuously in full auto whatever the controls are set to makes me think it might be an electrical problem rather than the gearbox installation.

I have swapped the Spectre battery connector to a mini-deans. The positive and signal wires are soldered directly to the same tab on the mini-deans, which is how it appears to have been done originally. Obviously, the negative wire is soldered to the other tab. I've checked all the wiring and it's all intact and no shorting.

The pin connectors between the upper and lower boards of the Spectre did strike me as a weak point but they don't appear to be damaged and the connections look sound.

The gun is upgraded internally with the following (all functioning perfectly prior to the Spectre installation)…

Magic Box gears (shimmed so they spin freely for a few seconds, but without any lateral up and down movement within the shell).

Prommy cylinder, cylinder head, piston and piston head.

Prommy bushings.

Marui trigger, tappet plate, selector plate, gearbox shell and receiver.

Magpul MIAD grip with a modified metal base plate.

Using a 7.4v 850mAh Turnigy lipo battery.

I can't think of where to start my trouble-shooting. The installation appears to be solid and the build worked fine prior to the Spectre, but obviously it's a big upgrade.

I shall contact BTC directly for their advice but in the meantime I wondered if anyone on Arnies might be able to shed some light…

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Like 1

Wow - excellent customer service from Frank at BTC.

He thinks the upper board has been damaged by static during installation, which is entirely possible as I have sausage fingers and the brain of a caveman.

Frank has gone above and beyond to get the problem fixed as quickly as possible, no fuss or excuses. If only every company in airsoft were that good.

I'll update as soon as I can but in the meantime a big public thanks to BTC, and remember to be careful with those circuit boards.

Maybe I should Google 'how to discharge static electricity' before the next installation…

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A new upper board arrived from BTC yesterday and once fitted my problem was resolved. Thank you again to Frank for his help.

Don't repeat my dumb mistake, discharge yourself of static before and during installation of the Spectre. BTC have shown the best customer service you could imagine and I'm very grateful, but it has still meant stripping down the gun again which is always a chore.

Now it is working my first impressions of the Spectre are very positive. The trigger is snappy and crisp - definitely comparable to my PTW.

Would like to echo the above in terms of the customer service you get from BTC. Had an issue with my Spectre, exchanged a few emails with Frank to try and sort it out, but ended up having to return it to him for repair. Turns out there was an issue with both the upper and lower boards so he just replaced the entire unit. Absolutely no quibbles or arguments about it, Only asked that I paid to ship it back to him, he covered the cost of return postage. Couldn't have asked for better service.