DIY super low profile mesh mask

mrezzy

So after getting lit up in and around my mouth during a cqb match, i decided i really needed face protection. I did not want the mesh mask they sell everywhere as they are kinda bulky for me and I'm unable to shoulder my rifle comfortably. I also wanted something that was all in one, which includes good eye protection, and perhaps even someway to mount a gopro.

I decided to DIY it as I felt there was nothing in the market that was low

Profile, breathable, and had integrated solutions for eye pro and camera mounting.

post-10100-13969298721924_thumb.jpg

Here's what I came up with, still WIP but seems to work great. It was made from full face mesh mask, smith optics boogie regulator (for that super low pro design), and a NVG mount for gopro or NVGs. I simply cut with dremel and mounted the boogie regulator with m4 screws from Home Depot.

post-10100-13969299324616_thumb.jpg

I know it doesn't protect your entire face, but they only thing that matters for me is mouth protection, and eye pro. I'm done running helmet and goggle setups as they're too cumbersome and I'm honestly getting tired of the milsim look. With this i can still mount my gopro or even nods one day! As for attaching it to the face, I'm thinking of doing it the same way the airsoft face mask does it, with a back piece where i will eventually mount a cyclone mike fan (for fogging) + any additional counterweights at the rear if I'm running a gopro or NVGs.

post-10100-13969299498093_thumb.jpg

So far, very comfy and I'm able to comfortably shoulder my rifle without interference. Any suggestions please comment below, but first...lemme take a selfie

post-10100-13969299728716_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that a BB can still strike the front of your lips, potentially chipping a tooth. I believe the point of most lower face masks is to cover most, if not the entire, lip region so that a straight shot or ricochet will not make contact with your teeth. If your mouth is open, a shot from the side could still hit your teeth, making your mask essentially useless. If you extended the part covering your mouth to cover both the front and side of your mouth, then you would be able to make something that would still be low profile while providing adequate protection.

I wonder if I can use some type of breathable nylon for the sides of the mouth region so it's still malleable enough to shoulder a rifle

Breathable cloth materials tend to be penetrable, but since you have mesh in front of you mouth, I think you can use heavier cloth materials. In fact, I think you can modify this to work with your mask:  http://www.evike.com/products/39812/ Just cut off the front and side pieces, and rivet the cloth on your mask.

acc-6335-lc.jpg

And if you have US$ 433 to burn, why not use the real deal: http://www.ops-core.com/Gunsight_Mandible_Ballistic_H_P95C20.cfm

Gunsight_Mand_d3.jpg

Gunsight_Mand_d5.jpg

That picture...o.0

Have always thought about making a faceguard out of chainmail or something. Absorb anything while still yielding to stock against chin.

Wow, chain mail would be a cool material to use!

PMO, that's a good suggestion, I'll take that into consideration as i progress with this project.

I was able to take goggle straps from my arena flakjaks and screw them onto the mask.

post-10100-13970990711964_thumb.jpg

Fits pretty good, the padding on the boogie is starting to hurt a bit, might switch them out for foam. I am able to shoulder pretty well:

post-10100-13970991392089_thumb.jpg

post-10100-13970991490452_thumb.jpg

post-10100-13970991585107_thumb.jpg

Next phase of project will be to find some malleable soft material to extend protection over mouth, add cyclone mike fan system, and fabricate some way to attach my rx inserts from my smith optics aegis into the boogie regulators

post-10100-13970992417297_thumb.jpg

Archived