9mm V3 Gearbox shell - UK?

Tinkerton

Hi folks, I'm after a 9mm v3 gearbox shell for a project, however I can't find many/any in the UK.

Only one i can see is a KA one on fire support for a whopping £55!

No way i'm paying that for a boggo gearbox with some larger holes in it.

Is there anywhere that has 9mm gearboxes for a *reasonable* cost? I'm hoping for £30 max, really.

Failing that, would i be better off with a stepped drill bit and a very steady hand (and copious clamps) on a drill press and do it myself?

Failing that, would i be better off with a stepped drill bit and a very steady hand (and copious clamps) on a drill press and do it myself?

A stepped drill is unlikely to achieve much more than turning a gearbox in to scrap I fear. Better to find a friendly local engineer with a milling machine and see if they will help you out for a few beers.

There was something on ASM and 9mm bearings a while ago, IIRC there isn't much choice for decent quality bearings, some of the 9mm bearings have the same bb size as the 8mm just enlarged housings and load wise 9mm aren't needed. Seems to be more of a marketing thing than actually needed.

Archived