What kit do you take for a MilSim

Curly68

Hi, looking to participate in at least one MilSim this year. Most probably a 24hr event for the first one but I really don't know what you have to take to last this long in the field etc.

I was thinking of a Camelbak Motherlode to carry the kit in (as you can pick them up for £85 s/h) and I have a Jetboil already from my son's DofE kit. Any recommendations please.

Depends on climate, weather conditions, setting, likely type of missions, etc. 

As for food and drink: A normal person needs at least 2-3 liters of water everyday. Extrapolate to straining conditions and constant physical activity, add another 1 tot 2 liters. Foodwise, study the contents of one military field ration (normally meant for 24 hours of sustainability) and take about the same with you. 

Camelback Motherlodes are meant for 24 to 36 hours of operations but might be too small to also take a sleeping mat and bag with you. But again, it depends on the type of operations and setting if these are necessary. 

Vortix sumed it up, basically.
I would say a 30 to 40L bag would be sufficient for 24H, provided you carry the sleeping bag on the outside. Sleeping mat is really an optional, in my opinion. Pay very close attention to the weather. If rain is expected, be prepared to carry for extra clothing (extra uniform). An extra set of underware should always be part of the kit.
If the temperatures are low, especially at night, get some extra layer of cold weather gear in the bag as well.
You can also divide your kit between the rucksac and the vest/rig you use, provided it has cargo capability.

Thanks guys. I am looking to do the Gunman North West Operation Jagged Alliance at the Badlands site. There isn't a kit list on the forum at all, though I have messaged the organiser and awaiting his reply. Just thought a little list of what people usually take would help me.

Thanks guys. I am looking to do the Gunman North West Operation Jagged Alliance at the Badlands site. There isn't a kit list on the forum at all, though I have messaged the organiser and awaiting his reply. Just thought a little list of what people usually take would help me.

This is based on the last kit list I made for a 84H, non-stop (3 and half days) game, last year. It was a mountain based game, around a dam reservoir, in November. Rainy and cold, and it was based in terrain navigation, with some rappeling and zodiac operating, and eventually "kill" missions. Bacpack weight around 12-15Kg.

I cutted it down for 24H (listed is only what goes on the backpac, not on the body):

1 x balaclava/beanie

1 x T-shirt

1 x long sleeve shirt

1 x 5 meter long climbing rope (should it apply)

1 x climbing carabiner (should it apply)

1 x extra radio batteries

1 x last resort cellphone

1 x Water bottle

1 x multitool

1 x flashlight

1 x extra flashlight batteries

1 x tarp or waterproof poncho

1 x Medkit

1 x entrenching tool

1 x individual camo net

1 x assorted paracord (or similar)

1 x Sleeping bag

1 x Compass (should it apply)

1 x GPS (Should it apply)

1 x Note book

1 x writing material

1 x toilet paper roll/easy wipes

1 x tooth paste

1 x tooth brush

1 x food for three (3) meals (2 US MRE's for example)

1 x trash bag

1 x Binoculars (should it apply)

1 x camera and USB cable (should it apply)

1 x red cloth

1x red lightstick

1 X extra socks

1 X shorts/undies

1 X cold weather shirt (fleece, goretex or other)

Be sure to get some energy bars also. Dispite all this I have listed, get enough water on you. 2 or 3L for normal consumption, and that extra bottle on the backpac.

The list can be cutted down a bit more, depending on the type of missions/game you will be performing. Get in touch with your faction leader to sort that out.

Hope it helps! ;)

Check out Tier 1 and Stirling, they both have recommended kit lists.

Ultimately what you need is your normal skirmish gear (assuming you run mid caps) and then gear to get comfortable in any down time you get, so a sleeping bag, bed, gas stove. I would strongly recommend boil in the bag meals. Depending on the amount of trigger time vs role playing a spare battery would be sensible. 

If you have a base and you have the chance to go back to it, then everything chan

Yes, this is correct.

I listed all that kit assuming independant/recon role for the whole day. If you operate from a base, you won't need to carry all that stuff with you.

This is based on the last kit list I made for a 84H, non-stop (3 and half days) game, last year. It was a mountain based game, around a dam reservoir, in November. Rainy and cold, and it was based in terrain navigation, with some rappeling and zodiac operating, and eventually "kill" missions. Bacpack weight around 12-15Kg.

I cutted it down for 24H (listed is only what goes on the backpac, not on the body):

1 x balaclava/beanie

1 x T-shirt

1 x long sleeve shirt

1 x 5 meter long climbing rope (should it apply)

1 x climbing carabiner (should it apply)

1 x extra radio batteries

1 x last resort cellphone

1 x Water bottle

1 x multitool

1 x flashlight

1 x extra flashlight batteries

1 x tarp or waterproof poncho

1 x Medkit

1 x entrenching tool

1 x individual camo net

1 x assorted paracord (or similar)

1 x Sleeping bag

1 x Compass (should it apply)

1 x GPS (Should it apply)

1 x Note book

1 x writing material

1 x toilet paper roll/easy wipes

1 x tooth paste

1 x tooth brush

1 x food for three (3) meals (2 US MRE's for example)

1 x trash bag

1 x Binoculars (should it apply)

1 x camera and USB cable (should it apply)

1 x red cloth

1x red lightstick

1 X extra socks

1 X shorts/undies

1 X cold weather shirt (fleece, goretex or other)

Be sure to get some energy bars also. Dispite all this I have listed, get enough water on you. 2 or 3L for normal consumption, and that extra bottle on the backpac.

The list can be cutted down a bit more, depending on the type of missions/game you will be performing. Get in touch with your faction leader to sort that out.

Hope it helps! ;)

Jep all dressed up and no one to blow........

Remember a gun and som ammo....

In case you missed it, I state that that list is the stuff that goes on the back.
I didn't list the first line kit.

Sorry if you don't play the same kind of airsoft that I do. Preferences.
People here where tryin' to help. Nice of you to have contributed with zero!

Thanks guys. Out of your list, Imperator, I have most of it already. Just waiting for a reply from the the organiser as to what kit they need. 

Had a look at Stirling and Tier 1 websites and they are quite thorough. Quite looking forward to taking part in one now!

Archived