What can be done with an ak 74

RavenCorvinus13

Reckon since the name of this section is project suggestions, I´d have a go at asking for some oppinions.

So, I recieved an ak 74 in a trade a few months back (not a clue to what brand). With a plastic lower, steel barrel and dustcover but everything else potmetal... beaten up pretty bad

(chipped gastube, glued on frontsight and taped handguards). It however seems to have been upgraded internally with a "higher end" gearbox.

I´ve been slowly proccessing thoughts on what to do with it and none the wiser. I´d like to do somekind of custom body to drop it into but haven´t really come up with something usefull/doable on a tight budget.

post-91339-0-38161200-1398800968_thumb.jpg

This is one of the ideas that popped, however, I´m not a fan of the way I´d have to hide the motor. And I´m not even sure if I want it to "stay AK"...

So the question is, does anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Tips on how to manufacture a custom body with only hand tools available?

References to similar projects? I´ve been surfing around the net finding some insperation here and there.

- Raven

I came quite close to doing a cyberpunk stubber based on an old airsoft AK I had kicking around.

I had planned on running a clear perspex tube down the channel for the gas system including removing the dustcover and have the tube run from the rear of the reciever to the gas port. I wasn't sure if I'd fill it with mixed gell/oils or try to get it to light up (LED wires perhaps)

Someone else demanded I make a steampunk gun out of it.

Ultimatly I just fixed up the gun and sold it off.

But if you want something a little more realistic... try a Lasgun?

All great suggestions, however don´t know if steampunk/cold war experimentals are quite the thing I´m looking for.

Something more futuristic maybe? Not necessarily in a bullpup configuration, I have one of thos uzi kits for ARs might be cool to implement that?

Another idea of mine would be, being Finnish a combination of a RK 62 (my service rifle) and a polish beryl?

Has anyone tried vacuumforming airsoft bodies?

this technique is something that crossed my mind some time ago, but have tried it out yet. I might just try going with this method.

Do you use regular polyester cloth or can I just buy some sheets (similar to carbon/glass fiber)?

And what about finishing, can I sand the surfaces? I´m already guessing the dust produced is pretty toxic?

Didn't RenegadeCow make an RK 62 a while back? As for how to custom build gun parts with hand tools, more or less any of RC's builds will have a lot of useful info due to most of his stuff being made of PVC. If you're after some kind of modernized AK thing maybe see if your local airsoft dealer, tech or site has a scrap parts bin, AKs are common so bits for them turn up a lot and should be cheap if not free from a bone yard. Also a photo of the gun would be handy to see what definately needs replacing, what's serviceable, etc.

Yes RCs RK 62 build was one of the initial inspirations but a far as I know he never finished it?

I keep checking the local sales forums now and then for a metal lower and front set, but they rarely show up  :unsure:, and the ones that do

are almost always the folding stock ones, wich I wouldn´t mind but I´d like to keep it wired to the rear. because mostly when I airsoft I carry spare mini type batteries,

they go perfectly into the pistolmagpouches on my rig and those AK sticks won´t  :D. I haven´t rally gotten around to switching to LiPo, the horrorstories are enough 

to keep me away from those  :D.

As for the Elysium Ak, would be totally doable but I should probably have been more clear, It can be futuristic but not sci-fi  :D

I love sci-fi though...  :D

I´ll try and get a picture for laterz

Get one of these http://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p14884/Firefox-9.6V-2000mAh-AK-Stick-Type-Ni-MH-Battery/product_info.html never need to carry a spare battery ;) By futuristic but not SciFi do you mean modernized or experimental? I guess you could have a crack at building an airsoft AK200/AK12 (whatever the Russians are calling them at the moment) it would be a fairly involved build mind.

Well modernized mostly but it can be experimental too, It doesn´t have to be a real gun, I´ve just been checking out different features from all kinds of ak variants.

Here is an example on what I have in mind:

1) the stock of an AK 12... sort of, a non-folding version that is. (would give enough space for a battery inside or a steady platform to mount an external bag/pouch)

2) galil style gastube and rear sight (basicly a hacksaw project)

3) m4 frontsight post (I have some "leftovers" from my low profile gasblock build)

4) modified pistolgrip sanded finish (maybe some stipling) and custom front lower handguard.

5) maybe shortening the barrel slightly and recrowning it (finding a custom flashhider (whatever part that I find in the hardwarestore that looks interesting)).

6) top rails... ? I really like the look of the new AK 12 lid, EDGY  :D

*in other words, I don´t mind getting creative, since there isn´t really a real life counterpart*

I'm still hoping to finish that RK one day. It's just that squeezing funds from its owner has been as difficult as getting the last bit of toothpaste from an empty tube.

For the build, how bout these parts:

galil-ish handguard

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/king-arms-ak-galil-style-handguard-w-tactical-rails-dark-earth.html#.U2ECE1WSxyU

para pistol grip

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/king-arms-grip-ak-saw-de.html#.U2ECXFWSxyU

top rail

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/cyma-ak-039c-tactical-top-rail-scope-mount-c-08-1.html#.U2EBzVWSxyU

this technique is something that crossed my mind some time ago, but have tried it out yet. I might just try going with this method.

Do you use regular polyester cloth or can I just buy some sheets (similar to carbon/glass fiber)?

And what about finishing, can I sand the surfaces? I´m already guessing the dust produced is pretty toxic?

Don't know what you can buy in Finland... Plates can be easily made if waxing a metall plate, and laminating on it, after drying you can easily remove it.

If you work outside, dont use mashine sanders, it do not produce much flying dust. I you sand it with water, and waterproof sandpapers, absolut no dust.

Woven fiberglass can't be sanded easily, use this instead (unorganised glass fibers pressed flat).

If you search after Bullpup M14, and M14SE2 topics, I built both guns with this method.

So here is the picture as promised.

post-91339-0-11806300-1398878012_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it´s a mix of everthing there is. And it is pretty damaged, some of the metal parts are so fragile 

that they have started to crumble. I don´t know if it is because of oxidation?

As for the parts suggested by RC, I like the grip, makes for an unique look and the rail I´ve been keeping my eye on for a while.

the handguard however isn´t really what I´m looking for, haven´t seen one yet that is exactly what I want. I would like the transition from

reciever to handguard to be barely noticeable. Something like a mix between a Beryl and a RK 62/95. I´m probably going to end up making the from scratch

or modifying the one i have.

Seems kinda over the top  :D Love the connected triggers though...

seems like the positioning of the stock on the mosin would make the

recoil go straight backwards, combined with the simultanious firing of the AK... Blue shoulders... TADAA

So I´ve been bounching some ideas with Murdoc and I´ll probably give fibreglassing a go, unless I can find some 

propper woodworking tools for making the front lower.

BTW, how sturdy is epoxy putty? I´ve seen some other DIY projects where that has been used for modelling small parts

and I was thinking about trying that for modelling part of the gasblock. Thoughts?

Archived