In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war [WARHAMMER THREAD]

Hardcore1-6

Dice truly are a sod. This is why I take re-rolls and other abilities to make sure I rarely get the low end dice rolls (unless I need them).

In typical Guard fashion, the easiest way to beat the enemy is by chucking more shots at them and keep going until you have nothing left to chuck shots at. Plus a Heavy 20, Str 5 gun with re-rolls to hit and re-rolls of ones to wound kind of helps :P.

Now given that everyone seems to be playing 2000pts I am away to find out how to add some more points to my army.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I had spare points to use on my Witch Hunters list, I gave my commander an orbital strike.

When you deploy, then write something on a slip of paper, fold it and put it to one side... The look on your opponents face is priceless as they think "oh *suitcase*, where is that targeted."

FK, the solution is simple: add more Guardsmen. :P

I can't, this is not my primary hobby and thus less cash is spent on it :P. Need to buy GUNZ!!! instead. :P

When I had spare points to use on my Witch Hunters list, I gave my commander an orbital strike.

When you deploy, then write something on a slip of paper, fold it and put it to one side... The look on your opponents face is priceless as they think "oh *suitcase*, where is that targeted."

I recall those days. Now it is just one that comes down once a game and it always scatters the full 2D6, no 'hits' or anything unless you have Kazmarov who lets you drop it on poor 'Dave the Guardsman' with absolutely no scatter at all.

Still it is the excuse I use for why my Jokaero are wounded Guard officers. Instead of Lascannon signet rings and customisations it is pinpoint strikes and backhanders to get better kit.

Plus now Guard can have two blokes that do the above Orbital Strike for 20pts a bloke in a Command Squad. It is hilarious now that the blast can scatter 3D6 and be twin linked too :P.

That is what I need in my extra 500pts, some orbital stuff.

'FireKnife'

In my bits box I actually still have a Lord Inquisitor Karamazo-whatsisface and his amazing walking khazi, completely unpainted and only partially assembled.

He is an odd one now. The size of a Mountrous Creature but isn't one. He is alright but sadly easy to kill with the right stuff (that is too easy to get hold of).

Saying that he is the only proper 'Witch Hunters' character and works fine enough with Sisters (a model they so need to make into a plastic kit).

'FireKnife'

He is an odd one now. The size of a Mountrous Creature but isn't one. He is alright but sadly easy to kill with the right stuff (that is too easy to get hold of).

Saying that he is the only proper 'Witch Hunters' character and works fine enough with Sisters (a model they so need to make into a plastic kit).

'FireKnife'

Saint Celestine would beg to differ.

I used to love vortex weapons in 2nd.

My armour usually had a vortex grenade detonator wargear card that caused nearby vortex grenades to just go off.

With hilarious consequences.

Guard was awesome back then, your initial barrage was pure win, you got a couple of pie plates for free and for every piece of armour that started in reserve you could get another one.

I also loved the conscript army rules.

In 2nd you could also mix and match codices so you could have a guard army with terminators etc. always good fun.

Damn the guys who started this thread and mentioned forgeworld & the horus heresy now looking at the mechanicum models and trying to persuade myself i dont need to start 40k after a 10 year hiatus.

Hopefully they'll finally get round to a 40k maechanicus army list, bring on the Skitarii.

At Uni I played a 10,000 point game with 3 friends.

Two per side, my guard and my friend's marines vs chaos and more marines (they were thinking about going chaos but were undecided).

It took 3 weeks to play out on a game board made of multiple game boards arranged in a squircle, my deployment phase took nearly 2 hours.

For 10,000 points you can have so many guard that I used a bucked of green plastic soldiers as conscripts and I had to wait until a squadron of tanks was destroyed to bring in my reserves because I didn't have enough models.

It was utter carnage, I remember the chaos targeting a group of 3 Russes and me thinking "hmmm, I forgot about those, I haven't moved them for 2 turns."

One of the game boards featured the lower half of a imperator titan's leg in 40k scale.  Awesome.

Saint Celestine would beg to differ.

She is a Sister, them and the Witch Hunters are ''like totally not the same now'' :P.

But yeah she is also not as amazing anymore :(.

As for Stunt's thing well I have seen people nowadays trying to play these 8,000pts a side games in a space of about 9-10 hours. A combination of bickering about where to deploy and everyone trying to shoot the same enemy player's models means it just, if at all, ends in 10hrs.

Personally I just do solo or paired games at a 2k maximum. Beyond that it just gets too silly too fast nowadays.

'FireKnife'

And that shows how long I've been out of playing 40k. ;)

I gathered :P.

However given that the new edition is coming in two weeks and the rumours are that about 50% of peoples armies are now going to be useless I don't see some very happy people and many will leave than pay the already extortionate cost for a new book.

'FireKnife'

I stopped playing these games when they started to simplify the system, moving from a multilayer game, with tactics and strategy to just a strategic game, well that and dumbing down the backstory.

I've lost count of what edition is what, but last time I tried a game 40k played more like WFB.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

So, 7th edition is coming...

I've not even played a game of 6th, mainly because I'm waiting for the Space Wolf goodies FW will release when the Prospero book drops. So I'm not quite sure what I'm hoping for this edition, as I don't know what 6th is really like barring having read the book.

As a tangent GW have finally re-released the Wood Elves, something I've been waiting on for years. Heresy I know.

Well it is more 6.5 Ed and not much else.

It has a 'psychic phase' and you can either stick to the typical force chart or bring almost anything you want to a game now.

Beyond that the easiest way to describe 6th is 'if 5th was the stuff of tanks and assaults, 6th is about shooting and infantry'. Good changes were made (mostly to stop allocation abuse) but aside from big book psychic powers, allies, overwatch and hull points it wasn't that huge a change.

'FireKnife'

Oh lord...

I see Rune Priest and Long Fang spam becoming even more stupid now. :(

It is not that bad given that you need stuff to take objectives now. That spam is long dead and is replaced with Eldar Wraith-spam, Guard with twin-link everything, Marines spamming the new heavy units, Land Raider spam (a classic), horde mega-spam and finally just about anything from the Tau Codex. The game has gotten to the point that you can play it fairly if you want or easily spam it, it is up to you but the player base is often a 50/50 split between Spam and good honest play, not so good :(.

I try to balance my games. I want silly and fun without worrying that all I will do is lose non-stop. My list is a bit of fun and, unlike the last one (just because it was Tau and no other reason) people will actually play it and not just moan for no reason.

'FireKnife'

I game for fun and theme.

My Wolf list always took Blood Claws, despite them being a subpar choice compared to Hunters, because they're fun. And its nice rolling 60 dice for attacks. My first HQ choice was always a Wolf Priest instead of the often auto-pick of a Rune Priest. And Scouts, Wolf Scouts used to be absolutely amazing, until they got rid of assaulting from reserves. They're still damn impressive but hindered a little, still love them though.

Hopefully they bring back assaulting from reserve.

Doubtful, many are hoping that Tau overwatch will get nerfed but also unlikely.

Still Wolf players do have a habit of trolling Tau players with Jaws of the World Wolf which is always fun.

I have a few things up my sleeve though for some games against those that must win. One included taking a S8 AP2 blast template that always caused Instant Death (legal in normal games as it is in a Leman Russ). Took out a Riptide a turn in a four Riptide list (well actually in one turn it took out two as my opponent ended up putting them side by side :P).

I am all for fun and fair play but sometimes those players that act up just need a little showing up to get the point across. it is a bit 'fire with fire' but as many of said players are the live at home in their Mum's basement type I would say that they are hardly going to be the kind of open to the social world kind of guys.

'FireKnife'

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm well with the new update to the system I am a tad skeptical about how well it is all going to mesh together.

Someone has already broken the rules in less than a day and now I could take an all Leman Russ legal army and all vehicles can now hold objectives? What is this madness?

Still I have seen that it has fixed a few broken issues and made a few things less pants on head stupid but other than that I still expect to see the same broken game being played by the same people :(.

So glad I have other friends to play against.

'FireKnife'

Archived