In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war [WARHAMMER THREAD]

Hardcore1-6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I stopped playing 40K. GW are the kings of pants-on-head decisions. 

Battletech is far superior.

Bingo.

I tried to create my own small game system. Took me a month of on and off planning and somehow, as one person, I have managed to make a smaller but stable system that GW hasn't managed to do in 25 years with 25 times the number of people. They so fail.

'FireKnife'

I stopped playing years ago, but still bought figures to build and paint for a few years after that. The last good game they made was necromunda, I even contimplated starting again when i saw stuff saying they were re releasing it, but in fact just brought the same old models back out.

The new rules, having had a couple of bashes at them, can actually be quite fun. Grey Knights no longer just anhialate demon armies. But there are some truly strange decisions made.

I agree they did make a few silly changes but the fact that you can run a very broken list purely by using the rules is quite bad.

Also I have a feeling that now that vehicles can score and Unbound lists exist the old classic of Leman Russ and nowt else is going to be very popular.

'FireKnife'

Yeah but if you charge a Russ from two sides you can get into close combat with it and chew it up with miimal casualties.

There are lots of ways (or were) to take them out, that's why I always had to screen them with infantry and why all armour lists sucked before, even when playing special rules about objectives.

I used to love positioning a unit of cheap troops next to my armour and using them to soak up a charge then heavy flamer-ing the whole lot next turn.

While that would work so many people now seem to only take enough anti-tank for one or two AV14 things.

Given that the average Russ is about 180-200 with upgrades you could have 7-8 in a 1500 list and not many people would be prepared for that, especcially if they are the Siege variants which unless you were Strength 5 or more (or had appropriate grenades) on the charge you couldn't hurt in combat anyway.

Saying that I thought my list would have to be drastically changed for the new rulebook but as it turns out all I have to decide is do I take Inquisitors and have less Warp Charge but two Stubborn units or Primaris Psykers with double the Warp Charge but no Stubborn and only Ld9. It is a tough one, either way though I do need to replace one of my Inq Henchmen units as they are rather redundant.

Also if I ram with a Leman Russ now (which they oddly enough can do) they do a grand total of the maximum Str10 damage. How awesome would a tank missing it's turret taking a final charge at the enemy Land Raider be?

'FireKnife'

Mine is a combo of Vets, Russes of the Siege type and finally some Inquisition stuff as it is always fun.

Saying that it is harsh when it comes up against the typical Land Raider lists as each turn I can comfortable kill one with little reprisal.

I have still yet to play 7th but in reailty I am not that fussed.

'FireKnife'

I went up against one of these 'infinately spawning demon' armies last week. Won in turn two by eliminating the Demon Prince having killed all four heralds of Tzeench the turn before.

How? Unless said person was a bit of a dolt and had the Heralds either in the open or not in a unit?

Though did you go first or did he? The plan kind of hinges on the Daemons going first. Bit like most Tau and Guard really.

'FireKnife'

I went first, Raven Guard scouted all the Tac squads and by the end of the movement phase could see 2 of his heralds and his demon prince, GN Interceptors shunted into his deploymemt zone. Sternguard killed the demon prince, Tac squads and GN killed 3 Heralds. The fourth failed to summon in his own turn, heralding the effective defeat of this army as from there it was just a mop up op.

To be honest given what you are playing and with them going first I am not surprised by any of the above.

Saying that the daemon list does hinge on a lot of things going just right, unlike Marines which forgive the odd mistake now and then.

Against my Russes, well they would have to hope they get close enough to use their damaging spells as spawning stuff that can't hurt my armour isn't going to help as much.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

I was tempted to run a stupid army like 30 Lone Wolves and do a kind of "final stand" slayers army.

Would be hilarious to see in Purge the Alien where my opponent would have to either let my guys and his duke it out with me gaining points as I die or him running away and hoping I don't catch up so I can't kill my models off and gain kill points.

In games that involve objectives though it would be a very different, but equally stupid, game.

That or I might do Space Wolves backed by Leman Russes, why have a tank named after you if you don't field it right?

'FireKnife'

Archived