Custom housing for toy night vision

Horsem4n

i have a pair of spy net night vision binoculars that i liked to mess around with. work well for indoor dark games and OK for outdoor night games (when very few other players had NODs). but i had always wanted to make it more compact and mounted to my head.

spy-net-goggles2.jpg

Pic borrowed

So i took it apart and found that much of it is really just empty space and the components are as compact as i wished them to be.

IMG_20140505_213219_578_zps58lm0ipi.jpg

IMG_20140505_213239_102_zpsxddsmehz.jpg

as you can see, from the focusing lense to the LCD are one unit and the control board and MicroSD card slot are separate. the positive power wire comes directly off the camera and the negative power comes off the control board. i snipped off both sets of infrared LEDs, the speaker and the mic as they are useless to me. ill be acquiring a dedicated IR torch for my guns. i snipped off the battery tray as it was attached to the body of the goggles and i had a better idea. it uses 6v of AA batteries, so im going to use a cheap tactical torch with 2 123a batteries to supply power so i can access the battery compartment without disassembling the unit. i found a light switch box that is just about the perfect size for the project as well. i plan to use a go pro night vision mount to mount it to my helmet via a nut for a standard camera mount.

IMG_20140505_213256_630_zpsxh51gkzf.jpg

IMG_20140505_213321_970_zps6tddnqcq.jpg

IMG_20140505_213339_438_zpsp7csun3w.jpg

IMG_20140505_213419_286_zps0ubws4nz.jpg

i have to cut a hole in the front to stick the lense out and be able to access the focus ring. i have to cut a hole in the back to see the LCD screen and i have to figure out a way to access the record button and MicroSD card slot from the outside and then make everything as sealed up as possible for moisture reasons. id like to hear some suggestions on how i can do those things, get flamed for having a brick of toy tech on the front of my helmet and make some artistic renders of what it should look like in the end. i have to go watch some movies now.

Renegade:

Sorry, it needs alot of modification to Work. The screen is too big to fit.

I've changed lenses and lights on my nod, Will be field testing it soon to see if the changes was an improvement.

I want the unit helmet mounted because that's just my preferance. you can still navigate with these cheapo nods via ambient light. I just don't want to keep my weapon at the ready all the time, its just not how I play.

DFR, I don't believe its true 1x, but I have already been using it for a while. Like anything, it just takes a bit of practice to get use to using.

I had thought in the past about making CMOS quad nods, but its a lot of money to put into inferior night vision. For the same dough, I can get decent gen1 monoculars.

• 4 weeks later...

the source? i bought them at the damned toy store. (for me: Walmart, Target and toys'r'us all have them)

currently, there is a cheaper unit with the same tech (sans recording capabilities) thats about the same size as a PVS-14 and has its own head mount (its a monocular). its like $40.

here's some similar stuff from the UK Amazon:

My unit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spy-Net-Ultra-Vision-Goggles/dp/B007TG2POM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1401510794&sr=8-7&keywords=night+vision

similar but cheaper: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SpyZ-Infra-Night-Vision-Goggles/dp/B00GIR3JL6/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1401510832&sr=8-37&keywords=night+vision

the cooler one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spy-Gear-Ultimate-Night-Vision/dp/B00D6N8V18/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1401510869&sr=8-65&keywords=night+vision

the FOV is very narrow. probably less than 20 degrees.

the only reason i use them is because the night games i have played at are completely dark under trees. being theres no ambient light, your eyes just dont adjust to teh darkness (well, mine dont) and using a torch with visible light is like a BB becon.

and i choose not to buy into NODs that cost more than $100.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived