WETTI is divorcing WE Europe, and its nasty

Roland1014

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the P90 came out in the early 90's? Not up-to-date on how long a patent lasts for (is it 25 years?).

Are we talking about a patent, or the airsoft license? If it is the latter, then yes 10 years ongoing might be right.

So basically this is story is about a company making money by selling airsoft they buy, but lie to their clients that they are the OEM.

I know I know, just like small arms 80 (SA80). But I am yet to see it in Die Hard 2 (loads of people have said its in Die Hard 2, and I can't see it anywhere in that movie).

So, you're saying there's a chance? Yyyeesssssss!!

Not according to IMFDB and those guys are more obsessed than airsofters.

If it means better prices and time frames, then yayy.

Given how WE is still able to keep on churning Glocks I'm inclined to believe technical problems were the bigger hurdle for the P90 rather than legal ones.

edit: stupid autocorrect

I'm not so sure. look at the way they went with dealing with the MP7. They had to change a lot of it and release it as the smg8 and then set up a pansy to release a more accurate version. But, they could have done this with the p90 as well, but something still stopped them. Maybe it was due to bringing too much attention to the gun and failing to secure licencing. Something they didn't even attempt to do with the smg8.

Meanwhile Tm releasing the gbbr m4a1 now renders WE pointless anyway :P

WE cater to a different price range, plus their availability is far better, generally TM stuff seems to be out of stock in the UK, generally WE stuff is in stock and in good volumes.

The WE will probably be about half the price of the TM, so I'd say it's still relevant...

WE's gas has been thoroughly average, I have yet to see a test which shows it as being any better than propane. Also, there's a spelling mistake on the can.

Meanwhile Tm releasing the gbbr m4a1 now renders WE pointless anyway :P

Though I guess the new green gas cans are OK.

I agree! Because where as WE recognise, stupidly, that the planet Earth consists of land masses NOT ONLY called Japan, and, mistakenly, assumes there are humans on those "other" land masses that enjoy the hobby of airsoft......Tokyo Marui would sooner see "those others" burn then urinate on them......yep, WE is now completely irrelevant!

Marui Man no like me! Marui Man say I no exist.....Marui Man no give me mucho parts.....Marui Man he like only my dorra, but he no play with me!

I tink Marui Man cool, but he no bestest.....bestest no exist, just lotta gnu for airsoft playa to chose! Why everybody say Marui Man bestest when he no like me?

I'm not so sure. look at the way they went with dealing with the MP7. They had to change a lot of it and release it as the smg8 and then set up a pansy to release a more accurate version. But, they could have done this with the p90 as well, but something still stopped them. Maybe it was due to bringing too much attention to the gun and failing to secure licencing. Something they didn't even attempt to do with the smg8.

I can answer on this one.   Traditionally gas is stored in the magazine below the BB chamber and the flow of pressure during gas exchange is from bottom to top.   For P90 there is no reliable way to make gas exchange work properly when the magazine is store on top and down force the pressure to the chamber below to produce blow back.   Even when you get it to work it's very poor gas efficiency.   We have already look into this design on my last job, I just couldn't comment anything back then when WE announced they are working a P90.     BTW, the old Toytec P90 is using external tank that's why it worked back then.  

BTW, the old Toytec P90 is using external tank that's why it worked back then.

I still remember my old Toytec P90 with external gas source. This was back when green gas was first getting popular but supplied in enlarged capsules like oversized CO2 capsules. The small regulator rig could either be in your pack, or in my case, mounted to the side of the gun. It was cool and fun for the time (early 90's). I did the same thing to my JAC MP5SD6.

But all you need are channels keeping the liquid from going down first. WA already proved it with their mags that can fire upside down and all it took was a glorified snorkel in the design. A gas in mag P90 can be done, it's just that their prototype wasn't up to snuff and the legal troubles and maybe a lack in marketability made them decide to shelve it instead of advancing its design.

But all you need are channels keeping the liquid from going down first. WA already proved it with their mags that can fire upside down and all it took was a glorified snorkel in the design. A gas in mag P90 can be done, it's just that their prototype wasn't up to snuff and the legal troubles and maybe a lack in marketability made them decide to shelve it instead of advancing its design.

Yes... but WA have a patent on R-mag.  I asked the exact same question before back then.

The FN trade legal issue is just the convenient excuse.     Seriously, whatever marketability didn't stop them to make the SMG 8.  Think about this, if you actually can solve upside down the gas exchange problem wouldn't you patent the out it and make your own gun?  I know I would.   :rolleyes:

Oh come on, forget P90, move on and make 9weapon and SEBURO MN-23 :P

Never liked TTI too much, strange marketing strategy, especially when OB conversion kit is much cheaper than like...... 3 loading nozzles........... I've already gutted too much conversion kits......

............ and their small parts are pretty much never available

I can answer on this one.   Traditionally gas is stored in the magazine below the BB chamber and the flow of pressure during gas exchange is from bottom to top.   For P90 there is no reliable way to make gas exchange work properly when the magazine is store on top and down force the pressure to the chamber below to produce blow back.   Even when you get it to work it's very poor gas efficiency.   We have already look into this design on my last job, I just couldn't comment anything back then when WE announced they are working a P90.     BTW, the old Toytec P90 is using external tank that's why it worked back then.

Perhaps the gas storage tank could be integral to the gun itself, say, ranging from the back to the pistol grip. Making the mags cheaper (maybe utilising current AEG mags). You guys have probably already considered this.

Perhaps the gas storage tank could be integral to the gun itself, say, ranging from the back to the pistol grip. Making the mags cheaper (maybe utilising current AEG mags). You guys have probably already considered this.

That was my first thought. But then you'd have to gas up the gun. Not that much of a problem per se, but when you consider that changing out a mag also changes out a cooled down gas chamber you start to see where the problems will crop up.

Archived